Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2015, 04:17 PM   #76
ryanrid
Registered Member

I got a juvi HT last week (approx 1"). This came from Northern territory instead of Cairns. the price is less than half, I paid $45 (AUD obviously), will be interesting watch it mature.

There is nothing cooler than getting a juvi fish and watch them change to adult coloration.

Ill try to get a pic over the weekend.

ryanrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2015, 08:08 PM   #77
Kyuss
Megistered Rember

Very nice! Definitely interested in seeing a pic of him, don't get to see em much under 3" too often.

Kyuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2015, 01:41 AM   #78
asylumdown
Registered Member

man I miss this fish. I've had two. Lost one in a total crash, and sold the second because it started attacking my other fish.

Both my tusk's HATED copper band butterflies, which was frustrating as I love both fish. My second one was relentless in his harassment of my CBB, but the tank was big enough that they could separate each other and be ok for a bit. Final straw was when the tusk bit a freshly introduced Yasha goby that I had just spent weeks carefully quarantining clean in half.

Had to get him out with a fishing hook, but he went to a good home.

asylumdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2015, 10:33 PM   #79
ryanrid
Registered Member

Here it is, closer to 1.5 in than 1

ryanrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2015, 11:10 AM   #80
Kyuss
Megistered Rember

Yeah looks like a tiny little guy with those over-sized looking eyes lol, thanks for sharing the pic. It's always fun to watch the big guys grow from little juvies.

Kyuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2015, 04:07 PM   #81
marin8n
Registered Member

My 6"+ Aussie that I've had for about a year now. First pic is in my DT, 2nd one was close up while in QT - hence the different lighting/colors.

Beautiful fish!

Unread 04/12/2015, 03:54 PM   #82
OrionN
Moved on

I just got word from my LFS. There is a small Australian HT, she will order him for me. I think 2-3.5 inches or so. I will trade my 5.5 inches Tusk for him. Even exchange. Will see what he look like when I get him next week.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2015, 04:12 PM   #83
kegogut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I just got word from my LFS. There is a small Australian HT, she will order him for me. I think 2-3.5 inches or so. I will trade my 5.5 inches Tusk for him. Even exchange. Will see what he look like when I get him next week.
I thought you already did that?

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
kegogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2015, 04:41 PM   #84
OrionN
Moved on

I wanted too but it is hard to get a small Australian Tusk here in Corpus Christi. I have one ordered all these time but just got word that the LFS finnaly going to get one.
I wanted to also get another Regal Angel, but so far none yet.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 04/17/2015, 01:59 PM   #85
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
I wanted too but it is hard to get a small Australian Tusk here in Corpus Christi. I have one ordered all these time but just got word that the LFS finnaly going to get one.
Hows the new Tusk going?!

sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2015, 04:12 PM   #86
ace_92101
Registered Member

Quote:
One DD right now. 1.5 inches.

ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2015, 10:52 PM   #87
OrionN
Moved on

I got him home in QT, eating well. I need to catch my resident HT and bring him to the LFS to trade. My new HT just slightly over 2 inches. I think he will be really nice Australian HT.

Unread 04/19/2015, 07:16 PM   #88
OrionN
Moved on

Here is the last picture of my Indo Tusk, right before I took him in to trade.

Here is the new Australian Tusk at 2 inches

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tusk Last Picture.jpg (92.4 KB, 1393 views)
File Type: jpg Autralian Tusk 2015041901.jpg (58.0 KB, 1399 views)

Unread 04/20/2015, 11:48 AM   #89
OrionN
Moved on

I took the larger Tusk to the LFS. It took me almost 4 days before I can get him out. Very smart. Did not go into the trap until 4 days of not feeding. All my other fish go into the trap, except him.
well, the LFS close because they was not busy enough (they were suppost to be open)
Anyway, I have to put the larger Tust into QT because it took so long to get him out of DT, and have to put the smaller Tust not fully QT to the DT tank.
He is eattign well. Here is a picture of him this AM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Autralian Tusk 2015042101.jpg (53.7 KB, 275 views)

Unread 05/10/2015, 07:09 PM   #90
Taipan
Registered Member

Thumbs up Juvenile Aussie Harlequin Tusk (Choerodon fasciatus).....

Say "Hello." to my little friend.....

I had the fortunate opportunity to come across this little guy. It's currently being well cared for at member: Explor3r's cave.

I've had Indo Tusks in the past but this is my first Aussie juvenile. It's pretty much eating anything we feed it - frozen, pellets, or flake.

A LFS burned up the phone lines with their supplier to snag the Tusk for me before another store could snatch it.

In quarantine at the LFS:

Inspection Before Acclimation:

Acclimating:

Introduction:

Video - Yes, we talk to our fish. I'll spare you from hearing us sing to our fish.

http://vid859.photobucket.com/albums...psbn4ipifp.mp4

Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2015, 07:30 AM   #91
OrionN
Moved on

Here is mine today. He grew fast. About 4 inches today. A lot thinker and deeper in body. The coloration is a little disappointing. So far he is not any better than my Indo HT that I traded in for him. He sill smaller, so maybe his coloration is not at optimal yet

Here is an old picture my IP Tusk at about the same size, maybe a little smaller but not by much, about 4 inches each. Both in very good healthy IMO

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HarlequinTusk2015080201.jpg (62.4 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by OrionN; 08/02/2015 at 07:40 AM.
Unread 08/02/2015, 07:53 AM   #92
OrionN
Moved on

Another picture today

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HarlequinTusk2015080202.jpg (64.6 KB, 211 views)

Unread 08/02/2015, 07:56 AM   #93
OrionN
Moved on

From pictures and what I remembered, the color is very similar other than the coloration of the pelvic fins. My Aurtalia at the same size at 4 inches, have completely red pelvic fins while the Indo have black coloration on the upper part of the pelvic fins.

Unread 08/10/2015, 08:27 AM   #94
desjardinii
Registered Member

G'day Mate!

desjardinii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2015, 08:32 AM   #95
OrionN
Moved on

Nice Picture. What is his size in the picture above?

Unread 08/10/2015, 08:37 AM   #96
desjardinii
Registered Member

Would've been 4.5" then, that was a couple of years ago though, now about 6-7".

desjardinii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2015, 03:15 PM   #97
angelman21
Registered Member

I love these fish!

angelman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2015, 01:49 PM   #98
blazend
Registered Member

blazend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2015, 10:09 AM   #99
tassod
Registered Member

bumping this thread, i will try to get pics of my new Indo Tusk later tonight but i have a question for now, is it normal that after he eats a few large pieces of seafood he no longer wants to eat for the rest of the night? I feed him pieces of shrimp, squid, clam...they are decent size pieces and he tears the pieces apart but after eating a couple he acts like he's full.

Tasso
tassod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2016, 06:28 AM   #100
OrionN
Moved on

Here is My Tusk yesterday. What do you think"? Is he Indo or Australian?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HT2016020201.jpg (67.3 KB, 108 views)