Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2017, 08:57 AM   #51
karimwassef
Registered Member

I gave up on this after a posting that 3D printed parts only work out of the tank or else they break down in saltwater with the exception of ABS & ABS doesn't allow for fine resolution work.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 03:39 PM   #52
jrhupp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
I gave up on this after a posting that 3D printed parts only work out of the tank or else they break down in saltwater with the exception of ABS & ABS doesn't allow for fine resolution work.
PLA breaks down. ABS and many other plastics work both in and out of the tank.

I'm not sure I understand the basis of the resolution comment. ABS will support finer detail than any hobby printer or kit printer will produce. Both of which are more than good enough for anything I have been able to think up.

I ate a jellyfish... tasted like soy sauce.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon system in progress
jrhupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 10:55 PM   #53
shiftline
Registered Member

I use ABS for any In tank parts. No issue for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Fuson 30L
shiftline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 09:01 AM   #54
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
I need to print a rigid object (a baffle) that is 16" x 6" x 4" max

What's the best printer to do this in ABS with some resolution ( better than 1/64"? )

photo 3_zpsfe3x3x70.png

I got a quote for it from the 3D printer outlets online and it ran from $120 to $thousands... I need a few plates (20 of them), so I think getting my own printer is the way to go.
This is what I needed to build. The 1/32 thin ends and the resolution needed for the curvature of the inside fillets was the problem. Also, the unit is overall large 16". So large object with very fine detail. Then I needed 160 of these modules (started at 20 and got bigger)...

Basically, I went back and used a completely different design since this was so difficult, time consuming and expensive. DIY 3D printing is excellent tech but everything has its application. For my set of needs, and for this application, it wasn't a fit imo.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 04/23/2017, 07:52 PM   #55
shiftline
Registered Member

That's a crazy looking baffle! Why so intricate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Fuson 30L
shiftline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 08:29 PM   #56
karimwassef
Registered Member

It's part of a matrix of similar baffles to create a uniform distribution of flow from a pump outlet over a very large surface ~ 18" x 48"... going from a 4" PVC pipe to that large of an area is near impossible and have effective distribution.

I eventually gave up and went with a matrix of 12 powerheads in a 2x6 matrix instead.

photo 0_zpsklrrcmuh.jpg

I use 4 channels of them = 48 powerheads at $80 each ~$4000. Ended up being cheaper than 3D printing an equivalent matrix + circulating pumps to achieve the same flow

Unread 02/17/2018, 07:27 PM   #57
Torx
Registered Member

I know this is an old thread that I am bringing back to life, but PETG is good for in tank use as well as ABS. PLA is basically the same as biopellets. I think I may try to print some media and add it to a chamber and see what happens.

Anyone have a nice stl for the vortech mounts? I am also looking for a power supply mount. I like the slim line idea that was posted here. I have found several online, but nothing like that. Plus I am in Canada, so anything online normally costs out the rear for shipping etc.

I use a TEVO Tarantula DIY build and it is a great little printer from the first time it fired up. Built it with my 6 and 10 year old daughters. Well they built most of it one afternoon, I just supervised and did some of the wiring. I still have to learn Fusion360. Just been so busy this year with work and medical.

Torx is offline   Reply With Quote