Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/24/2017, 11:11 PM   #1
Mattfinley
Registered Member

Brisle worm invasion

HI I have a question about trying to kill Bristle worms that have invaded my green star polyp Coral I had my green star polyp coral on my sand bed and the bottom grew closed so it makes little canals or tunnels in the coral and I now have a lot of bristle worms living inside of the coral what would be the best way to kill them and get them out without damaging the GSP

Mattfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 03:20 AM   #2
Kaiser699a
Registered Member

Some wrasse will eat smaller ones. A small sized fish trap baited with a piece of shrimp overnight might attract them in - I've never needed to try a trap because I have 2 wrasse that I think eat them and keep their numbers very low.

180g (US) DT with 30g (US) sump. Softies and LPS. Red Fire Fish, Royal Gramma, 2x Ocellaris Clowns, 2 Spot Tang, 4x Green Chromis, Lyretail Anthias, One Spot Foxface, 2x Azure Damsels, Green Clown Gob
Kaiser699a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 06:05 AM   #3
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

I gave up worrying about bristle worms. They are good for the tank and the numbers will stabilize on their own.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 03:26 PM   #4
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

I believe a six line wrasse will eat all that up. Atleast in my tank they did n i dont see them anymore.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 08:12 AM   #5
ozmosis7
Registered Member

A wrasse will keep them in check, but overtime they've become considered lest pest and more of a danger while handling rocks. I've been stung by one that way, and it wasn't fun.

ozmosis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 10:09 AM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

If bristleworms are invading a coral it probably means that coral is having trouble. The worms, by eating decaying flesh, can actually help a coral survive. See what might be the trouble with the coral. Are others ok? Alkalinity around 8.3?

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 08:17 PM   #7
tc2007
Registered Member

Do not put a six line wrasse. They are evil. Put an Arrow Crab. They are easy to catch in case they grow too big and are causing issues.

Unread 09/07/2017, 03:55 AM   #8
Louis Z
Registered Member

2nd the arrow crab . They seem to relish them and I love seeing them pull the bristleworms apart . Some bristleworms are not benign as some think . Yes I think they are good for a sand bed but I also think there are some types that are dangerous . Trying to figure that out is difficult .

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2017, 03:47 AM   #9
carrots
Registered Member

I second what Frogman said. + They are a vital part of the cleanup crew. If you want to keep their numbers down make sure your not over-feeding your fish and when doing water changes vacuum the gravel to remove more waste that is feeding them.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 11:51 PM   #10
Khammer
Registered Member

Agree with carrots. they will stabilize themselves and any population explosion is most likely due to lack of siphoning and overfeeding

Khammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisle wor, green star polyp, gsp, invasion, soft coral