Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2018, 01:05 AM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

multi controller for Tunze 3

Hi,
I have two Tunze 3, which are amazing. I had them attached to an older multi controller 7095. However, the night mode no longer functions, so the wave action is full blast 24 hrs. I'd prefer an automatic break. So I was going to see about the new controller 7096, but this is compatible only with PC. I have a Mac (apple), ugh!.
The two tunze, also of course have the controllers that came with them (which just added to the cost I guess of the pumps, since I do not use them). I dont know why the streams come with them, when I would think most people have more than one, and would want a multicontroller, with night mode.
*So what do I do?

Thanks!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 09:39 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

7096 is also an obsolete controller, it does work with Mac, 7097 is the new version and is Windows only. The included controllers are needed and the price did not increase when they were added to older pumps. They include an integral safety for the pumps (diode to prevent backfeed of current) and allow a calibration of speed settings which is often needed with older controller like 7095 and 7096. The photocell on your 7095 can be replaced and that would be the easiest/cheapest route. If the 7095 was made after 2009 the photocell is user changeable, it just plugs in, part 7095.050, prior to that they were soldered in but the same part can be used, it just means cutting off the plug and soldering it in. I would use the 7000 if I was buying a controller today.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 11:08 PM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

Hi Roger,
Thanks yet again for all that great info and quick .
*The night mode indicator light doesnt even come on when I press the button, and no change in pumping action. So it seems that the function is totally not working.
But would replacing the photocell actually make the night mode functional again, because it's 100% no function right now.
My controller is from 2006 or earlier. So I'd need to solder it, ugh (if this actually does fix it (see above).
*How much is the 7000?
**The 7096 is offered at Premiumaquatics, not mentioning MAC compatibility at all:
https://premiumaquatics.com/products...ller-7096.html
<< is that the 7096 ? as labeled on the site.
If this is not a lot more than the diode, then I might prefer to purchase this controller. As I will not do a good job at soldering this thing in less than 90 mins .

Thanks!!

Unread 02/13/2018, 09:09 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It is hard to say, if you sent the controller I could try it, if I fail there would be no charge. It is also possible the microswitch is stuck or broken and that could be repaired.

The 7000 is about $350 but besides pumps it does pH and Temp control as well as lighting with additional features due this summer. The $350 base price includes the temp probe, 4 cables for pumps.

Yes, that is the 7096, for use with new pumps with controller the 7095 or 7096 will require the calibration of the 7090 described in the video. Otherwise the pump speeds will not be accurate as older pumps without controller used a 0-8V control signal, with is 0-6.5V and that is part of why the controller is integrated as it is. The 7096 is Mac compatible, but the 7096 is obsolete and no further updates will be offered, the Mac version was developed by a college student and is less sophisticated than the PC version of the 7096 software. You also have to be careful to never update it for PC as the latest PC version is a firmware generation ahead and will not be recognized again by the Mac version after it is updated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaFU...ature=youtu.be

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 02/13/2018, 01:25 PM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

actually I think my controller is just not working for many functions. When I have it so just the conrtollers with the pumps are used, the pumps work fine. When I attach the pumps to the multi controller, one never activates, sometimes just doesnt turn at all... otther times is in idle mode, never to actually pump water. So I think I just need a new multi controller. Should I still send this old one in, or does it sound just de-funct?
thanks

Unread 02/13/2018, 02:03 PM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

New pumps with a 7090 will not work at speeds below 50% usually without the calibration shown in the video, this will be the case with 7095 and 7096.

Unread 02/15/2018, 11:04 PM   #7
CTaylor
Registered Member

Hi Roger
I followed the instructions on the video. My pumps are not stopped at lowest power setting from the multiconroller. The range goes fro 30% to 80%. But one pump will not turn more than just idle. The other pump goes through the range (it seems to). And the night mode was able to be activated again. This leads me to believe my multicontroller is just not fucntioning on many levels.
**Should I send it in to you to see if it can be repaired?
**if I had to get the 7096, what updates would I be missing out on? I didnt need any for the 7095 I have now. How is the mac version less sophisticated? Less functionality?
Right now I'm using the basic controllers that came with each Tunze 3.
**For now can I use https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/y-ada...300-tunze.html << Y cable. << Will this allow alternating wave action? for 2 Tunze 3. The descrption on that site says if you have THREE Tunze pumps, will it work for only two pumps?

Thanks again!

Unread 02/16/2018, 09:45 AM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

What mode is the 7095 in? In Interval 2 one pump will only idle until the interval change over.

The PC version of 7096 got an update which added an Interval 2 mode referred to as Interval with idle speed, without this the mac version of 7096 has only an Interval 1 like mode where the other pump is off. It also does not have ramp which is a feature designed to ease start up so there is less noise on start up, with Stream 3 this is a non issue as off and on speeds are not recommended since the start up takes time and the pump will not work properly and there is no click on start anyway.

To only connect two pumps you use 7092.300, it is just a straight cable. The Y cable is for connecting 3 pumps or 2 pumps and a 7097.050 photocell/moonlight.

Regarding 7095 repair, I cannot repair more major issues than just the moonlight or a stuck button, a larger issue will point to more extensive circuit damage.

Unread 02/16/2018, 04:16 PM   #9
CTaylor
Registered Member

it seems to be random at different times when I replug in the straight cable from the pump controller to the multicontroller. This time I have it on interval 1 and it just stays in idle whetther the controller LEDs are reading 60% + or not power. And then I switch it to Interval 2 and it seems to work at least to some extent, but then goes back to idle, then stops completely. I'm pretty sure it's fried, beyond calibration. Because this is nothing like what the calibration video was suggesting (which was pretty simple).

The mac version of the software, in interval mode, when one pump is not pumping, then the impeller just stops? So a fish can get chopped up easily when it starts up again? But it does have ramp up, but only b/c the Tunze 3 has it' sown ramp up?
I really didnt want to get a windows anything b/c that means I'll have to get good virus protection ugh. All this for just one wave controller lol.
I'm thinking to just stick with the mini controllers that the tunze 3 's came with.
There is no way to put a night mode on the plain controllers, right?
What's the best way to use two TUNZE 3 with the little controllers? Whaat settings, etc.?
The only reason I can see I'd get a separate new multicontroller is for the night mode really... Is there something i can do to get around that? << can a photocell be added and somehow night mode activate?

thanks!

Last edited by CTaylor; 02/16/2018 at 04:49 PM.
Unread 02/19/2018, 11:25 AM   #10
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It would still have fish care so the stopped pump will twitch every 20 seconds. With the Stream 3 it has its own ramp up start so, yes.

You can add a Y cable and 7097.050 and have nightmode with the built in controllers. I would just set them in inverse pulse if I was using the two built in controllers.

Unread 02/19/2018, 11:32 AM   #11
CTaylor
Registered Member

Roger,
Quote from BRS:
"When no light is available the 7097.050 photo sensor will turn your pumps off automatically by picking up how much available light is being picked up by the sensor. When the light is on the pumps will ramp up to follow the max settings on the controller. The photo sensor should be placed directly under your tanks lights and will follow the photo period of your light."
*So it seems I just put the sensor on the y cable and thats it, it is automatic in night mode when lights are off.
*If I have ambient light in the room, not very bright, will it turn off night mode?

*And how to set up inverse pulse?

I have the Tunze 3 stream instructions buried some place. I dont know if it describes the above.

Thanks again!

Last edited by CTaylor; 02/19/2018 at 12:01 PM.
Unread 02/19/2018, 12:28 PM   #12
rvitko
RC Sponsor

With the Y cable one end goes to the other controller (male) and the 7097.050 connects to the female end.

In general the issue tends to be getting it out of night mode and having enough light hitting the photocell, it is unlikely a distant ambient light will keep it out of night mode.

Set the second pump to external, make all settings on the main pump, press food timer for 2 seconds on the pump in external mode and it then is in the inverse meaning it will be on pulse speed, when the other is on main speed.

Unread 02/19/2018, 10:28 PM   #13
CTaylor
Registered Member

Hi Roger,
Now I love the controllers that come with the Stream 3's . Perfect oscillating action. I ordred the y connector and the light sensor. I know to keep the sensor under one of my kessils.
Thanks again

Unread 02/20/2018, 09:29 AM   #14
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you!