Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2018, 02:39 PM   #1
APEX_AIMZ
Registered Member

Getting into corals

looking into getting coral i have heard blue led lighting is the best what do you recommend and what foods do the like.

APEX_AIMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 03:07 PM   #2
mitch91175
Premium Member

I know from reading that people cast feed with Rod's complete reef. I would definitely suggest check out the SPS, LPS keepers forum here to get a better idea. So many variables to this stuff it can be overwhelming if you let it. I am going with 4 Hydra52 and 4 T5 bulbs (2 - ATI Coral Plus, 1 ATI True Actinic, 1 ATI Blue Plus) using the Aquatic Life T5HO 61" fixture. Hope it all works out well. Also, T5 has been through it test of time and works as well as Metal Halides (MH). LED is the new kid on the block and has growth capabilities as well.

Your lighting is going to depend on the types of corals you want to keep. If you want to keep SPS and have good air circulation to keep the temps down, then I honestly think 9 out of 10 would say MH. If water temps is an issue, then LED and/or T5 should work. Combination even better.

There are plenty of smarter people in the SPS and LPS forums that I mentioned above. All different types of setups with success. So it ultimately comes down to your budget and what you want to keep successfully.

mitch91175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 03:11 PM   #3
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch91175 View Post
I know from reading that people cast feed with Rod's complete reef. I would definitely suggest check out the SPS, LPS keepers forum here to get a better idea. So many variables to this stuff it can be overwhelming if you let it. I am going with 4 Hydra52 and 4 T5 using the Aquatic Life T5HO fixture. Hope it all works out well. Also, T5 has been through it test of time and works as well as MH. LED is the new kid on the block and has growth capabilities as well.

Your lighting is going to depend on the types of corals you want to keep. If you want to keep SPS and have good air circulation to keep the temps down, then I honestly think 9 out of 10 would say MH. If water temps is an issue, then LED and/or T5 should work. Combination even better.

There are plenty of smarter people in the SPS and LPS forums that I mentioned above. All different types of setups with success. So it ultimately comes down to your budget and what you want to keep successfully.
What size tank? 4 hydra 52's is a lot of light, I don't think you will need the t-5's.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 03:19 PM   #4
mitch91175
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post
What size tank? 4 hydra 52's is a lot of light, I don't think you will need the t-5's.
83x24x28

Unread 02/20/2018, 03:24 PM   #5
mitch91175
Premium Member

Pic of the tank. To get decent PAR readings 200-300 range had to bump the 4 Hydras to 100%. They are mounted about 12" from water line. Noticed when I cranked up my lighting to 100% my RBTA have opened the largest I have seen them in my tank. Actually all of my nems reacted favorably to the increased light. So adding the T5 fixture has me thinking more light better; specially when I add in more SPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mitch91175; 02/20/2018 at 03:29 PM.
Unread 02/20/2018, 06:26 PM   #6
APEX_AIMZ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post
40 gallon

APEX_AIMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 09:47 AM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I use VISPARSPECTRA 165w LED, cheap at 160 Canadian Amazon delivered, each covers a max area of 24x24x24, two channel, with timer, hanging kit....but no fancy software....which I do not need.....softies and LPS do exceptional well, even supporting my clams and a few SPS....

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 01:15 PM   #8
monkeysee1
Registered Member

l
Quote:
looking into getting coral i have heard blue led lighting is the best what do you recommend and what foods do the like.
What kinds of corals do you want to keep? Softies, LPS or SPS?
With SPS, especially Bird's Nests and Montiporas, you will need LOTS of white and actinic blue t5s (at LEAST 2 or 3 of each) or some potent LEDs, like Radions. They also need good flow!

Last edited by monkeysee1; 02/21/2018 at 01:26 PM.
monkeysee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 01:02 PM   #9
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

The higher end LED's are great, but come at a cost 4 times the CCB's
i was surprised how good the CCB's were, or at least all my corals thought so.
The radeons are fantastic, good intensity, correct spectrum, some real neat software to create fab effects.....my corals just want to eat the light so they did not care about the effects...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote