Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/15/2019, 08:16 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

kh director ghl

Hi,
Does anyone have experience with the newest version of this? I'm looking to get a kH monitor/controller. A good friend of mine had one, and he likes the product GHL makes, but he said this one was very frustrating and wanted to throw it out the window, but I think bugs have been worked out of it since he bought his.

TY

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2019, 09:27 PM   #2
Jamey1010
Registered Member

Mines worked perfect for the last couple months, coming from Apex I made a complete change and it was a lot different to setup but the new YouTube videos showing setup using the GHL app where spot on and it was all fairly easy.

I actually had a harder time setting up my chiller than I did the KH director on the Profilux 4.

Jamey1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2019, 06:18 AM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey1010 View Post
Mines worked perfect for the last couple months, coming from Apex I made a complete change and it was a lot different to setup but the new YouTube videos showing setup using the GHL app where spot on and it was all fairly easy.

I actually had a harder time setting up my chiller than I did the KH director on the Profilux 4.
TY
You think it would be workable even without the profilux controller? I don't intend to get a controller like that for a while

Unread 09/16/2019, 06:58 AM   #4
Jamey1010
Registered Member

Oh sure you don't need the full controller just the stand alone doser 2.1

Unread 09/16/2019, 10:26 AM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh sure you don't need the full controller just the stand alone doser 2.1
OK, that's what I thought. One day I'll treat myself to the controller. But right now I have everything controlled on their own controllers. So that would be a nice thing to have. But the alk controller is closer to a need so I can prevent another alk spike or dip = acro death.

I'll prob wait til black friday, hopefully map items go on sale then :-D

TY!

Unread 09/16/2019, 11:47 AM   #6
RobbyG
Registered Member

I went the MindStream route. Its the only device on the market that can do the different tests without reagents and does them at 15 min intervals so that you can see graphs of the changes during each day/week/month.

Rob

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2019, 11:52 AM   #7
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyG View Post
I went the MindStream route. Its the only device on the market that can do the different tests without reagents and does them at 15 min intervals so that you can see graphs of the changes during each day/week/month.

Rob
I like that one also, if it was what I was looking for. Cool it doesn't use reagents. But it doesnt seem to have controller ability. Which I Wouldnt expdect from something testing for so many things at once. I'm concerned about alk. The others are important. But the alk fluctuations I get have always correlated both ways to my acros decline (when they do). And i'd liek control abilities for the periods I may be away. And for the times I'm not away also .

Unread 09/16/2019, 12:26 PM   #8
Jamey1010
Registered Member

I like the full automated control as test kits only take a few minutes but would still make me have to figure out what and how much to dose just like the Mindstream although it is pretty nifty for just having lots of information.

My KH director has worked great and in adaptive mode doses less or more based on each test.

The GHL ION is due out this fall and will measure (at least) Calcium and Magnesium
no reagents, works with sensors (but still needs calibration fluid)

Unread 09/16/2019, 01:29 PM   #9
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
I like the full automated control as test kits only take a few minutes but would still make me have to figure out what and how much to dose just like the Mindstream although it is pretty nifty for just having lots of information.

My KH director has worked great and in adaptive mode doses less or more based on each test.

The GHL ION is due out this fall and will measure (at least) Calcium and Magnesium
OHHHHH.. the ION . We'll see how much that is. For me, the alk is the need. I know Ca and Mg are important. But I've never (knock on wood) had issues with my live stock related to bad levels of Mg. Ca has waivered, which is closely linked to ALK, but it seems the alk is THE #1 cause of negative coral reactions. But I'm going to look at ION also
Im' more keen on GHL brand also than any others b/c a good fish 'guru' friend of mine says he trusts them the most, quality etc.

Unread 09/18/2019, 06:29 AM   #10
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:

from the GHL site, the ion director is an add-on to the KH director. ION will not measure nor control kH https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/products/ion-director/