Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2014, 02:29 PM   #26
jazzyndjay
Registered Member

If you guys don't mind me asking, where in Florida can you go and look at tide pools or lagoons? I'm going down to Orlando and am interested in finding somewhere to go look at these guys in their natural habitat. I was also thinking of maybe bringing home a few snails or hermit crabs if possible.

jazzyndjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2014, 07:27 PM   #27
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Orlando is pretty much in the middle, a good hour or so drive to either the Gulf or Atlantic coasts. As for regulations, you'll need a non resident salt water fishing permit. Check out the link in the previous post to yours for the regulations.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2014, 10:20 AM   #28
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Also note the astericks in the regulations. Several localities have restrictions above and beyond those spelled out.

For examply, I live in Lee County, Florida and there is no live shelling permited here. All other fish and inverts follow the rules linked above. If I wanted to collect snails or hermits, I would need to go to the next county.

"Great things happen when you start to add more light. The heavens open, angels sing and there is Peace on Earth" RockDoc

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon stony reef, 300 gallon softie tank, 120 gallon FW/Orchid tank
jdhuyvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2014, 12:35 PM   #29
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

Thank you for this thread. I have been wanting to read up on the legal limits. My family owns a condo up northern Ft. Lauderdale and I would love to take my kayak to the beach and do some collecting.

FMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallons of frags... 30 gallon Deep Blue mixed reef ... 70 other tanks throughout south FL
Reeferz412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2014, 03:39 PM   #30
accordsirh22
Registered Member

so I am finally making it back down to FL this summer as well. any good suggestions on stuff around panama city? i attempted a google search, but wasnt even really what exactly to search to begin with lol. i figure local knowledge will be best in this case. also, what kind of corals/inverts (if any) can i expect to see around there in shore/bay/foot accessible/whatever (not diving) waters?

accordsirh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2014, 05:53 PM   #31
Fishfirst
Registered Member

Not much as far as regular aquarium fish in Panama city

Current Tank Info: Over 40,000 gallons of saltwater
Fishfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2014, 01:02 AM   #32
accordsirh22
Registered Member

i was thinking more so any kind of corals (probably not likely) or inverts and macro algae

Unread 04/09/2014, 05:24 AM   #33
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Snails and hermits and a few other inverts are likely, same with macros. Corals, maybe some gorgonians if you go diving, but will definitely need to be diving on the Atlantic side where the Gulf Stream is

Unread 04/09/2014, 05:34 AM   #34
scott3569
Registered Member

Well I am not going to offer anything...however I just wanted to say I would be very intrigued also!! I would like to be in your shoes, or flippers LOL

Current Tank Info: 56 gallon 30 x 18 x 22 with a 40gal sump, SCA 302 skimmer, 10 gal QT tank, a hydror 600 power head, 2 enhiem 150 heaters, 49#'s of dry rock, 12#'s of life rock, 40#'s of sand
scott3569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2014, 10:43 PM   #35
accordsirh22
Registered Member

bill, are any of the hermits teh reef safe dwarf ones like we normally purchase. i am seeing lots of references to the thin lines? the ones that get huge and eat fish/corals

Unread 04/10/2014, 04:57 AM   #36
billsreef
10 & Over Club

At least in Miami I find plenty of Blue Legs right along the shoreline on North Biscayne Bay. Scarlets when diving the reef, but they are a little trickier to find. Naturally there are also the hermits that get huge and not reef safe.

Unread 04/10/2014, 08:14 AM   #37
accordsirh22
Registered Member

hmmm, i will be up at panama city beach, any hope of finding anything cool and reef safe there? with shore access. i am not dive certified

Unread 04/10/2014, 05:52 PM   #38
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Maybe. I haven't explored up that way, so don't really know what you'll find. Gulf Specimen Company is up that way, google them and take a look at their stock lists for some ideas of what you might find.

Unread 04/13/2014, 06:52 AM   #39
Secondsbest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyndjay View Post
If you guys don't mind me asking, where in Florida can you go and look at tide pools or lagoons? I'm going down to Orlando and am interested in finding somewhere to go look at these guys in their natural habitat. I was also thinking of maybe bringing home a few snails or hermit crabs if possible.
Don't know if you've made it down yet, but a 40 minute drive due east gets you to Indian River Lagoon and Banana River. 10 minutes from there is Cape Canaveral and Coaco Beach. I collect from those ares frequently to restock my small inverts and algae. I don't recommend taking any small fish unless you have a large tank or like aggressive little fish.

Secondsbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2014, 08:03 AM   #40
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

For anyone interested in collecting in Florida. I suggest you read the article below:

http://www.keysnet.com/2014/04/05/49...ml?sp=/99/106/

Get a license, know your limits, know your critters and collect properly (ie don't kill what you collect)

"Great things happen when you start to add more light. The heavens open, angels sing and there is Peace on Earth" RockDoc

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon stony reef, 300 gallon softie tank, 120 gallon FW/Orchid tank
jdhuyvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2014, 02:46 PM   #41
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhuyvetter View Post
For anyone interested in collecting in Florida. I suggest you read the article below:

http://www.keysnet.com/2014/04/05/49...ml?sp=/99/106/

Get a license, know your limits, know your critters and collect properly (ie don't kill what you collect)
Wow good stuff! Thanks for posting that. Everyone wanting to collect in FL, please follow all the laws. They are very strict and the FWC does not play around. The consequences are very harsh.
You will not only save yourself but many critters in the ocean. They have laws on them for a reason. I get emails from the FWC constantly updating the laws so keep yourself updated. Once the restrictions have done its part in preserving fish or corals they put less restrictions, but with time of course.

It's sad to see what people do for money. The keys coral and fish population is not the same as it used to be when I was a kid snorkeling, back in the late 90's.
Right now I'm currently doing extensive research before I collect ANY type of marine aquarium fish and corals. First of all, by knowing the laws then identifying each and every fish and coral, correctly. Note, I've lived here (keys) all my life and I'm constantly in the ocean, and sometimes I still have trouble identifying, especially the little ones.

G_Sanab922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2014, 12:32 PM   #42
thenewguy997
Moved On

Is miami a good diving area?

thenewguy997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2014, 10:53 AM   #43
Zoodiver
As seen on TV

I'd go North or South of Miami, not right there. Ft Lauderdale has some ok reefs. The ocen side of the Keys usually have smoother conditions and more visibility (at least when I've been out)

Unread 05/05/2014, 07:39 AM   #44
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy997 View Post
Is miami a good diving area?
Yea it's a pretty good area but need to know your spots. And the Miami area tends to be deeper. So hopefully you are SCUBA certified. If not, get your lungs ready for 30-50ft free dives.
Might as well come down to key largo, it's only 1 hour away. And there are some great reefs.

Unread 05/05/2014, 07:27 PM   #45
frizzo98
Registered Member

Other then Biscayne Bay National park is there any diving spots there?

I have lived int Fort Lauderdale my whole life and also been in the keys as well. There is more abundant life in the keys and much denser but you have to go 3 to 5 miles out and most of it is protected and you can't even catch and keep anything. Where as in ft.lauderdale the reef is 100 yards off shore 15 feet deep and still have a large amount of life there. Depends on where you go to.

12 street north to Atlantic boulevard is mostly scattered reef (I don't like to dive here as much and I have no experience north of Atlantic). A little south of 12 st and a ways down there is built up reef but not much a shelf about 2 to 3 feet. Commercial boulevard has the best diving for about a half mile north and south. The reef is built up and has a average shelf height of about 5 to 6 feet, in some spots more because of coral heads. I heard (I don't have any experience) that the reef from about a mile south of Oakland to about sunrise is not as built up and is a lot farther than in many other local spots.

keep in mind I am talking about the first reef in all these cases. I do a lot of beach dives so I don't have much experience in the deeper parts of the reef.

frizzo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2014, 07:10 AM   #46
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Yea there is. A lot more wrecks than reefs though... Here's a good link with different spots. http://www.southbeachdivers.com/wrec...L=Miami&O=Name

Like I previously stated, almost everything is 30ft and deeper. I heard about this pretty good reef though, 30ft called "Car frame reef" (listed on the website link), it's by Fowey Rocks. Which is in between, key Biscayne and Biscayne national park. I usually don't dive in Miami so I'm unfamiliar with the laws of coral and fish collecting in that particular region, but from looking at the maps it seems like its fine for collecting in that area because of how far out it seems to be and normally Miami is less restricted.

You are correct Frizzo, most of the keys is protected. And once it comes to collecting fish and corals you must abide to the similar rules enforced for spearfishing (I've asked many different professionals and that's what they've told me) . 3 Miles out from nearest land (usually a mangrove island) and out of any park, which is Southwest of the border line of Molasses Reef. But the further south you go the more you'll see that it's unprotected (marathon and further down), due to less reefs, but still can find some nice stuff... Good info on Ft. Lauderdale, I love those reefs that are right there off the beach. Pretty cool, maybe ill head over there one day.

Unread 05/06/2014, 08:13 AM   #47
frizzo98
Registered Member

Thanks G Sanab for the info in Miami, one day I will dive there. I have also heard of great spots in the Palm Beach and Fort Pierce but don't have much personal experience. Most of these spots are in the Indian river so it's actually inshore but the pictures I have seen the reefs are built up and very abundant but only in some spots.

frizzo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2014, 09:15 PM   #48
accordsirh22
Registered Member

well so far, i have found quite a few royal starfish. all dead/dying from taking a beating in the surf i assume. i have found none of the colorful shore clams i expected i have found 1 striped hermit (100% not reef safe). and some turtle grass shoots. other than that, i have found squat. very disappointing to say the least

Unread 05/14/2014, 07:39 AM   #49
ganjero
saiperchémibatteilcorazon

What about the Tampa area/Gulf Coast? is the gulf coast also a good place for scuba?

ganjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2014, 04:30 PM   #50
G_Sanab922
Registered Member

Coral Collecting- Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordsirh22 View Post
well so far, i have found quite a few royal starfish. all dead/dying from taking a beating in the surf i assume. i have found none of the colorful shore clams i expected i have found 1 striped hermit (100% not reef safe). and some turtle grass shoots. other than that, i have found squat. very disappointing to say the least

Where are you collecting at? And beach shores aren't really good places to collect most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjero View Post
What about the Tampa area/Gulf Coast? is the gulf coast also a good place for scuba?

I'm not from that area but it should be decent. I have friends in that area that free/scuba dive. The good thing is that it's shallow for MANY (10) miles on the gulf coast. There's probably some decent wrecks here and there..
The bad part is that the water tends to be murky, even on a calm day (compared to Atlantic). So imagine on windy days, it's not even worth it.