Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2009, 06:37 AM   #51
ReefBum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by n9gux
Gorgeous tank! Congrats!
Many thanks n9gux.

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefTank1
ReefBum, you have one of my favourite tanks - I also have a 225 gallon reef, but I am having problems with my MTC ProCal. The flow rate is never consistent (always drops over 24 hours). What feed pump do you use, and what flow rate/bubble count are you using? I am using: mag2 pump, 70mL/min, ~1bps, large grain ARM. The reactor and media are always full of bubbles. Reactor pressure is 3psi.

Thanks
Thanks ReefTank1. My ProCal is fed by a small Blueline pump that came with the unit. I had problems with a consistent flow/bubble rate as well for a while. I was able to fix it by switching from small grain to large grain CaribSea ARM media and getting rid of a magnesium supplement I had in the second chamber. I also upped my bubble count to around 90 bubbles a minute. My reactor pressure is about the same as yours and around 9 psi in the C02 tank. Is the pressure higher in your C02 tank vs. the chamber? If not, then this might be part of the problem or perhaps there is something clogging one of the lines.

Quote:
Originally posted by ddier2020
Reef Bum, will it be possible to get some pics of the return going into the tank, where did you drill for the anti siphon hole?

Thanks
This is the best shot I have at this point. Both returns are positioned a couple of inches under the water and I have no anti siphon holes. I never believed in doing that since I'm afraid of them clogging.

Quote:
Originally posted by chingchai
Keith. If you don't mind, I'd love to see some clip video of your tank.
Thanks.
My apologies Ching but I don't have any video. I have been playing around with adding a web cam so I might have that down the road.

Current Tank Info: Eurobraced 187g Low Iron Glass Tank
ReefBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2009, 12:44 PM   #52
kangym
Registered Member

I really like the color of your SPS. Besides your lighting and good water parameter, how do you bring out the bright color of your coral? You mentioned using Roti Feast and Oyster Feast. Where did you get them? Do they help to enhance the color?

kangym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2009, 01:27 PM   #53
salmonslayer
Registered Member

Nice job. Beautiful setup and live stock.

salmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2009, 06:16 PM   #54
Rich D
Registered Member

beautiful tank. One of the best ive ever seen, I believe my dads seen your tank when he got some frags from you. Im sure that we will definitely be interesting in buying some frags off you again once we get our tank 100% ready for challenging corals, we are at around 85% in my opinion

Current Tank Info: 120 display 40 gallon approx. sump
Rich D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2009, 07:49 PM   #55
ReefBum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kangym
I really like the color of your SPS. Besides your lighting and good water parameter, how do you bring out the bright color of your coral? You mentioned using Roti Feast and Oyster Feast. Where did you get them? Do they help to enhance the color?
Many thanks kangym. Stability of water parameters is a big key for me as well as the Radiums. As for the Roti Feast and Oyster Feast, I ordered them online at the Reef Nutrition website. You can also pick them up at some LFS.

For the past month or so, I have stopped adding the Amino Acids and only used the Roti and Osyster Feast to feed the corals. I do believe my colors for a number of corals have improved so I'm going to stick with this for the time being.

Quote:
Originally posted by salmonslayer
Nice job. Beautiful setup and live stock.
Thanks salmonslayer!

Quote:
Originally posted by bubbles129129
beautiful tank. One of the best ive ever seen, I believe my dads seen your tank when he got some frags from you. Im sure that we will definitely be interesting in buying some frags off you again once we get our tank 100% ready for challenging corals, we are at around 85% in my opinion
Thanks bubbles129129. Stop by when you are ready. I have a lot of trimming to do

Unread 03/17/2009, 08:50 PM   #56
melev
Moved On

You need to update your signature line, Reefbum.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2009, 06:18 AM   #57
ReefBum
Registered Member

Nice catch Marc. Thanks!

Unread 03/18/2009, 07:14 PM   #58
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

what a very very nice tank!
congrats AGAIN lol

Current Tank Info: Officially lurking!
gasman059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2009, 09:36 PM   #59
jason darr
Registered Member

Thumbs up tank of the month

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL....

jason darr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2009, 01:00 AM   #60
ryshark
Registered Member

Awesome tank, I did the aquascaping in my new 180 very similar a couple months ago. My question is exactly where do you have your tunze powerheads and how are they positioned? It is hard to see in the picture, but it looks like one on each side panel towards the back and pointing straight across the tank at each other.

ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2009, 06:34 AM   #61
ReefBum
Registered Member

Many thanks gasman059 and jason!

Quote:
Originally posted by ryshark
Awesome tank, I did the aquascaping in my new 180 very similar a couple months ago. My question is exactly where do you have your tunze powerheads and how are they positioned? It is hard to see in the picture, but it looks like one on each side panel towards the back and pointing straight across the tank at each other.
Thanks ryshark. You have it right. The Tunze pumps are positioned in the back corners facing one another along the back panel. This was part of my design to have an open channel in the back of the tank to allow for more circulation. A controller has the Tunze pumps operating on different intervals to create a nice random surge within the tank.

Unread 03/19/2009, 10:29 AM   #62
juldelf
Registered Member

congrats for your tank of the month
just to know which acro is this one, turaki??

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-0...ges/coral7.jpg

thanks

juldelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2009, 06:42 PM   #63
EyesClosed
Registered Member

Reefbum,
i am in the process of designing a system which is simular in the the sense that the filter room will be below and about 6 meters to the side of the display.

Do you have any recommendations or experience regarding plumbing, return pumps, overflow, etc. Especially since there is such a height difference? I'm considered the extra vertival drop may make the overflow louder? And are you happy with the amount of flow rate back into the tank? i was planning only a single return pump.

I have just started a new thread about this, perhaps provide some advise there... Basement filter room

thanks

Last edited by EyesClosed; 03/19/2009 at 07:02 PM.
EyesClosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2009, 07:15 PM   #64
ReefBum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by juldelf
congrats for your tank of the month
just to know which acro is this one, turaki??

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-0...ges/coral7.jpg

thanks
Thanks juldelf. That is an ORA Hawkins Echinata. I had it mid-way in the tank and it wasn't lovin it so I moved it down near the bottom and it is thriving. It is a great piece

Quote:
Originally posted by EyesClosed
Reefbum,
i am in the process of designing a system which is simular in the the sense that the filter room will be below and about 6 meters to the side of the display.

Do you have any recommendations or experience regarding plumbing, return pumps, overflow, etc. Especially since there is such a height difference? I'm considered the extra vertival drop may make the overflow louder? And are you happy with the amount of flow rate back into the tank? i was planning only a single return pump.

I have just started a new thread about this, perhaps provide some advise there... Basement filter room

thanks
I have 2 Blueline 70 pumps returning water from the sump back upstairs to the tank. Each pump puts out 1750 GPH at the head and I have them throttled back a bit. There is some noise with the overflow but it sounds like the beach

Unread 03/19/2009, 08:16 PM   #65
Palyophile
Registered Member

Bravo, stunning, beautiful tank!

Palyophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2009, 08:53 PM   #66
T Man
~PPPPPPP~

Great reef, another great honor...congratulations! TinMan

Current Tank Info: click the "TzFuture" folder in my profile
T Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2009, 08:54 PM   #67
ddier2020
Registered Member

Quote:
My apologies Ching but I don't have any video. I have been playing around with adding a web cam so I might have that down the road.
Reefbum

so what happens when the pumps shut off.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef
ddier2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2009, 05:54 AM   #68
ReefBum
Registered Member

Thanks Palyophile and TinMan.

Quote:
Originally posted by ddier2020
Reefbum

so what happens when the pumps shut off.
Gabe- I'm fortunate to have a full house emergency generator that kicks in automatically when power is cut. I do travel a bit so having a web cam or another way to keep tabs on the tank remotely would put my mind at ease.

Unread 03/21/2009, 02:42 PM   #69
ReefTank1
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks ReefTank1. My ProCal is fed by a small Blueline pump that came with the unit. I had problems with a consistent flow/bubble rate as well for a while. I was able to fix it by switching from small grain to large grain CaribSea ARM media and getting rid of a magnesium supplement I had in the second chamber. I also upped my bubble count to around 90 bubbles a minute. My reactor pressure is about the same as yours and around 9 psi in the C02 tank. Is the pressure higher in your C02 tank vs. the chamber? If not, then this might be part of the problem or perhaps there is something clogging one of the lines.
Thanks for your reply ReefBum - I tried turning up the bubble count to 90bpm and accordingly increased the flow rate to 90ml/min. This seems to have exacerbated the problem - the first chamber is even more clogged with bubbles and the flow rate drops even faster. The pressure in the CO2 tank is 22psi. So this seems to be a problem where the CO2 is not being dissolved properly and is slowing the flow as the bubbles clog the media.
What flow rate do you use? and do you see your media getting clogged with bubbles?

you can see it in these pictures:

thanks

ReefTank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2009, 01:33 AM   #70
jerome arcachon
Registered Member

Congratulations Reefbum

Current Tank Info: 132 gal with plenum
jerome arcachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2009, 12:02 PM   #71
ryshark
Registered Member

ReefBum-
Have you had any problems with the pocillopora reproducing and having mini colonies popping up everywhere?

ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2009, 05:09 PM   #72
reefdale
Registered Member

Tank of the month

Reefbum,

This set up is the cat's ***! Is the tank stand custom made or store bought? As an engineer, I love the floor support system, I think you could park a truck in your tank room! Outstanding!

ReefDale

reefdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2009, 06:38 PM   #73
ReefBum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefTank1
Thanks for your reply ReefBum - I tried turning up the bubble count to 90bpm and accordingly increased the flow rate to 90ml/min. This seems to have exacerbated the problem - the first chamber is even more clogged with bubbles and the flow rate drops even faster. The pressure in the CO2 tank is 22psi. So this seems to be a problem where the CO2 is not being dissolved properly and is slowing the flow as the bubbles clog the media.
What flow rate do you use? and do you see your media getting clogged with bubbles?

you can see it in these pictures:

thanks
My flow rate according to the meter on the unit is around .10 (the ball is just below the half way point in the flow chamber). It looks to me like you might have some finer particles of media sandwiched between the larger media...this might be part of the problem since it could be impacting the flow. I didn't get the unit working consistently until I removed and replaced all the media and flushed out all the lines. Ever since then it has been very consistent. I believe I had a clog somewhere so perhaps you are having the same issue.

Quote:
Originally posted by jerome arcachon
Congratulations Reefbum
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by ryshark
ReefBum-
Have you had any problems with the pocillopora reproducing and having mini colonies popping up everywhere?
Funny you ask because I just noticed one last week in my sand bed. Can they really multiply a lot?

Quote:
Originally posted by reefdale
Reefbum,

This set up is the cat's ***! Is the tank stand custom made or store bought? As an engineer, I love the floor support system, I think you could park a truck in your tank room! Outstanding!

ReefDale
Thanks ReefDale! It is a custom stand from Greenwich Aquaria.....it is built solid as a rock and looks fantastic. As for the floor supports, you are right about the sturdiness. If the house comes down the fish tank will be the only thing left standing

Unread 03/23/2009, 07:47 PM   #74
kifeter
Registered Member

Thats a nice tank!

kifeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2009, 12:53 AM   #75
NexDog
Snail Killer

Your Tunze positioning has me puzzled. On one hand I think it's pure genius and on teh other I'm worrying if you get enough flow around the front of the islands. I'm tearing down my system and rebuilding at some point so I want a simple Tunze flow design that works. Also with the currents colliding in the middle does the sand bed not trough badly in the middle?

Great tank, awesome inspirational material right there.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump.

Current Tank Info: Deltec 902, PFO hood with 3x400w Radium 20k and 4x96w PC's. Hammerhead closed loop - and 2 x Tunze 6105 (and Vortech still sucks).
NexDog is offline   Reply With Quote