Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Avast Marine Works
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Fridmoni
Registered Member

Need New Skimmer

I am looking to replace my Euro-Reef VS-135. Collection cup is cracked and pump is going out. I am trying to decide between your AVAST CS1 and a Super Reef Octopus XP-2000. I am concerned that the Octopus seems to require a lot of adjustment – my sump water level is controlled to plus or minus ½”. This seems to cause challenges for the Octopus. I did not need to do much adjusting on the Euro-Reef. Will the CS1 work for a 90 Gallon heavy bio-load tank with Fish and SPS? Does it require a lot of adjusting? It appears the air intake is a bit low – does it plug often with salt?

I would also look at the swabbie and locker. Would the locker still control odor if the top of the collection cup has holes in it?

Thanks in advance for your help. It appears you have a great product.

Last edited by Fridmoni; 01/11/2011 at 12:12 PM.
Fridmoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

1/2" is not going to effect the cs1 skimmer much. A little wetter/dryer skimmate depending on the level but it is not going to shut down or anything. When using a swabbie, we suggest dialing in a slightly wetter skimmate, so do this based on your "max" water level. That way when the sump level drops a tad, your just skimming a little dryer (swabbie will still preform well). So initial setup may take a little longer if you add swabbie but that would likely be the case if you add any new skimmer + swabbie, but once complete you will have a a very low maintenance setup.

We have sold a ton of lockers and I have not heard anyone mention smell escaping the collection cup even with the cup holes. If it were an issue, we would have a developed a solution for it by now. If it becomes an issue for you, we would gladly offer a solution to remedy the problem.

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Fridmoni
Registered Member

Size of Skimmer

Last question - will the CS1 handle my bio-load? Will it work as well or better than the VS135?

Fridmoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

This will be a pretty noticeable upgrade from a ER/RD135. There should be absolutely no problem with the setup you describe, sorry I missed that earlier.

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2011, 11:22 PM   #5
jlaudiofreak
Registered Member

Fridmoni
I have the CS1 skimmer, I researched all the skimmers out there and I truly feel this is the best bang for the buck. I have had the skimmer running for almost a month now and am very pleased. very easy to adjust , get plenty of dark gunk in the collection cup. I have it running on a 120 . Hope this helps you with your choice

jlaudiofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Rwinfrey
Registered Member

We are now running this skimmer on our school project tank we did use a sicce 1000 on it it is working out very well the snow has been killing us here I will post pics soon.I did put a 90elbow on it sits really snug but put the large side of the uniseal on the inside of the skimmer.

Current Tank Info: Wish I had one building a house
Rwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avast, cs1, euro-reef