Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/17/2017, 11:25 AM   #1
RussC
Registered Member

My Derasa Clam did a 180.

Hey guys. First time clam owner. Picked up a beautiful Derasa. I understand they are hardier than many of the clam species. This thing is fascinating. Long of the short of it, the clam has literally spun a half circle. Its turned around about 180 degrees. What's up? Normal? Or is its way of saying, look at me, I need something. Other than that, opening just great and seems very healthy. Thought I'd reach out to the experts, though. Doesn't hurt to ask...

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer XL 425 Alive and Kick'n BOD 8-29-17
RussC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2017, 07:58 PM   #2
Lsufan
Registered Member

More then likely it is the flow or the light. They will turn to get more light & they will also turn if the flow isn’t comfortable for them. It doesn’t mean something is wrong, they are just getting comfortable. I’m no expert on clams but I have owned quite a few & this has usually been my experience

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 06:57 AM   #3
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

exactly what Lsufan said. they will also tend to line themselves up with lights (especially LED) to get the maximum amount of light they can.

that's the most frustrating thing about clams, they're able to move. i can glue a coral down in place and ain't a damn thing it's doing about that. a clam will just move itself, usually in to the most inconvenient position possible.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 11:27 PM   #4
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussC View Post
Hey guys. First time clam owner. Picked up a beautiful Derasa. I understand they are hardier than many of the clam species. This thing is fascinating. Long of the short of it, the clam has literally spun a half circle. Its turned around about 180 degrees. What's up? Normal? Or is its way of saying, look at me, I need something. Other than that, opening just great and seems very healthy. Thought I'd reach out to the experts, though. Doesn't hurt to ask...
Let him go where he wants to go!

malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 08:53 PM   #5
OrionN
Moved on

As long as he face the light leave him be.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote