Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/25/2019, 03:19 PM   #1
jimjam35
Registered Member

First clowns

Hey guys, researching clowns I see there are a wide array of types...just curious what would be good first clowns in a RSM 130d. Would like them to be the main fish of the tank, but not the only ones.

jimjam35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2019, 04:12 PM   #2
JacobPF14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjam35 View Post
Hey guys, researching clowns I see there are a wide array of types...just curious what would be good first clowns in a RSM 130d. Would like them to be the main fish of the tank, but not the only ones.
Ocellaris clowns or true percula are both great starters. I personally got Ocellaris when I started. Two would work perfectly for a 30 gallon! Best of luck!

Jacob.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

JacobPF14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2019, 04:52 PM   #3
jimjam35
Registered Member

Now does that include the specialty morphs of ocellaris? Or just regular morph?

Unread 07/25/2019, 04:57 PM   #4
JacobPF14
Registered Member

Quote:
Now does that include the specialty morphs of ocellaris? Or just regular morph?
I would just say standard for your first clown. Some special morphs require special care and might be way more aggressive to other fish, plus they are a lot more expensive if they die for any reason!

Unread 07/25/2019, 05:37 PM   #5
jimjam35
Registered Member

Okay thank you ����

Unread 07/25/2019, 06:01 PM   #6
JacobPF14
Registered Member

Quote:
Okay thank you ����
No problem! Good luck with the fish!

Unread 07/25/2019, 07:04 PM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobPF14 View Post
I would just say standard for your first clown. Some special morphs require special care and might be way more aggressive to other fish, plus they are a lot more expensive if they die for any reason!
Do you mean designer variants of ocellaris and percula with "morphs" or different anemonefish species?
Most ocellaris and percula designer clowns should be the same in temperament and needs as the captive bred natural (wild) forms.
That said, I personally would only get natural forms.

As for other anemonefish species, some are more mellow while most are more aggressive.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2019, 05:37 AM   #8
OrionN
Moved on

Most but not all designer clowns are Ocellaris or Percula or both. They are much more available and healthier, in term of infections/disease, then the wild caught clown-fish. The problem with the tank raise clowns are deformities that can be seen if you are discriminate about your fish. ThRoewer is a purist. He even care about where the fish are from and try to pair with fish from the same region.
I am not as passionate as ThRoewer, but I very much care about having deform free clown-fish.

Various designer clown-fish will have temperament and size the same as the parent species. I have never keep any clowns that are hybrid of different species other than Ocellaris-Percula hybrid. You just need to know what is the true species of the clowns you want to keep. Pf you don't know, or have specific question, just post them here. For ID, it is best to have a clear picture.

I would not assume that very body would know what a RSM 130d tank is. I would give dimensions of this tank so we don't have to search about it before we can answer your question.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2019, 06:13 PM   #9
jimjam35
Registered Member

It’s a 34 gallon cube roughly 24x20x24

Unread 07/27/2019, 06:46 PM   #10
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
It’s a 34 gallon cube roughly 24x20x24
Get a bonded pair of Nemos, hopefully you can view them at a LFS, pay the price and be happy, the cube is perfect, since they are the show, maybe a nem?

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2019, 09:40 PM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

That should be plenty of room for whatever clown fish pair you want.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 07/28/2019, 02:18 PM   #12
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Most but not all designer clowns are Ocellaris or Percula or both. They are much more available and healthier, in term of infections/disease, then the wild caught clown-fish. The problem with the tank raise clowns are deformities that can be seen if you are discriminate about your fish. ThRoewer is a purist. He even care about where the fish are from and try to pair with fish from the same region.
I am not as passionate as ThRoewer, but I very much care about having deform free clown-fish.

Various designer clown-fish will have temperament and size the same as the parent species. I have never keep any clowns that are hybrid of different species other than Ocellaris-Percula hybrid. You just need to know what is the true species of the clowns you want to keep. Pf you don't know, or have specific question, just post them here. For ID, it is best to have a clear picture.

I would not assume that very body would know what a RSM 130d tank is. I would give dimensions of this tank so we don't have to search about it before we can answer your question.
Minh, In case you are still looking for more, AC got a number of wild Irian Jaya percula in. Some of them are onyx. All rather small so likely not yet female.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 07/28/2019, 02:28 PM   #13
OrionN
Moved on

Thanks ThRoewer

Unread 07/28/2019, 03:34 PM   #14
ThRoewer
Registered Member

They also had a
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Thanks ThRoewer
They also had a purple foot magnifica, unfortunately bleached like the one I have, but otherwise healthy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk