Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2019, 11:17 AM   #1
josbur63
Registered Member

Skimmerless sps tank

Has anyone had long term success growing sps without a skimmer?I have always had skimmers with sps with little success,wondering if its worth trying without one.Thanks.

josbur63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2019, 05:36 PM   #2
C.Eymann
Cnidaria lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by josbur63 View Post
Has anyone had long term success growing sps without a skimmer?I have always had skimmers with sps with little success,wondering if its worth trying without one.Thanks.
I have kept a skimmer less SPS tank before, but majority of my systems since have had skimmers, and my next system as well.
Skimmers are absolutely not 100% needed for SPS.
I happen to work for a well known vendor in the SPS trade, and while majority of our systems are equipped with skimmers, they are generally only ran in accordance to nutrient levels. Turned off or only ran at night if nutrients are getting too low, then implemented when nutrients creep up.

Current Tank Info: 80gal build in the works
C.Eymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2019, 12:52 PM   #3
Ostentum
Registered Member

Every system is different. My skimmer pump on my 130g went out months ago and i have actually seen growth and color improvements. This tank ran at Zero Nitrate and Phos with the skimmer. I did send an ICP test off so we will see what the numbers look like in a week or so. Big tank 375g is running a skimmer. I will say this the one element that I really have to continuously dose with a skimmer running is Iodine. Skimmer likes to remove that element in particular.

Ostentum is offline   Reply With Quote