Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/04/2008, 09:13 PM   #76
Oceanodroma
Registered Member

You should definitely go for the upgrade to a 75 gallon. Sounds like the lavender tang was meant for you!! If it would give you pleasure, go for it!! Think of the photography possibilities!

Debating tank maneuverability, the difficulties of moving, uncertain future plans.. pssssh! Surely you have someone kicking around who would take care of those things for you.

: I

Oceanodroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2008, 08:49 AM   #77
Rosseau
Registered Member

: I

Unread 10/05/2008, 02:38 PM   #78
Der_Iron_Chef
Registered Member

Your tank is beautiful. You got lucky, it seems, with a truly healthy Gigantea. I had one exactly like it for several months before it suddenly dissolved...overnight. I hope you have better luck!

Also...I'm no "tang police" but it seems like a Lavender Tang would be happier in something even bigger than 75G?

Side note: what is the zoom lens you're using? I'm assuming some sort of Canon "L" series by the signature red ring

Der_Iron_Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2008, 10:05 PM   #79
Rosseau
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Der_Iron_Chef
Your tank is beautiful. You got lucky, it seems, with a truly healthy Gigantea. I had one exactly like it for several months before it suddenly dissolved...overnight. I hope you have better luck!

Also...I'm no "tang police" but it seems like a Lavender Tang would be happier in something even bigger than 75G?

Side note: what is the zoom lens you're using? I'm assuming some sort of Canon "L" series by the signature red ring

Thanks a lot.

The Gigantea seems fairly healthy but I'm not totally confident for the long run... Fortunately my 250W MH has arrived and so the anemone has had this light for the past week and will continue to have it into the future. All else in the tank appears stable.

The idea of an overnight meltdown scares me....

Did you feed your gigantea anything?

As far as the lavender tang.... more than 75G, really? I seem to be reading things on the internet about 75G being sufficient. I suppose that there is always room for debate on this one though. . . If I could I would go bigger... The main drive to get away from nanos is the possibility of keeping a more diverse range of fish.

I love my clowns and gobies, but I'm starting to want something else as well. I do however want to make sure that it is worth it in that I will actually be able to keep bigger fish with the upgrade.

Zoom lens? The picture of me with the camera is with a 400mm prime (5.6L) and on my desk is the 70-200mm f/4.

Fortunately my lens-lust has toned down as of late.... Are you a canon guy yourself?

Unread 10/05/2008, 10:12 PM   #80
Rosseau
Registered Member

An update is in order soon ( I think ).

I have a whole whack of little frags (mostly zoas, some shrooms, clam and 1 montipora). That will come soon . . .

For now my hands are mostly full with looking for a larger tank and assessing the cost of an upgrade.

Additional Costs...
-Tank, Stand
-Another MH, maybe some actinic supplements
-RO/DI unit (no more bottles)
-Salt
-More rock
-bigger skimmer
etc etc...

Ah!... and more. Anyways, I'm looking.

Does anyone have any advice on how best to make this transition?

Unread 10/05/2008, 10:17 PM   #81
Rosseau
Registered Member

The other 'project' which has been taking up a bit of time and space is a S. Haddoni anemone which I'm attempting to nurse back to life.

I picked this specimen up from a LFS which I don't like so much... (want names?) I wanted it for free but settled for $20. It was attached, but a little bleached and with a wide open mouth... it was not a pretty scene.

The anemone was under 2 x 18W CF (1 was actinic) WITHOUT reflectors, about 16" away from the anemone... he was slated for sure death. The man I bought it from knew nothing about the animal either...

I'll update with more soon.

A few quick photos:

Unread 10/05/2008, 11:54 PM   #82
Freemans Reef
Registered Member

good luck !

Freemans Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2008, 12:11 AM   #83
Der_Iron_Chef
Registered Member

Good luck with that. The Haddoni's are generally hardier than their Gigantea counterparts. I fed my Gigantea mysis and pieces of clam/crab/whatever meat I had.

I am a Canon guy...sort of. I have a 40D, which is great, but the good Canon lenses are too much $$ for me. I have the 50mm f/1.8, and then a few Sigma lenses (24-70mm f/2.8 & 150mm f/2.8). Both Sigmas are sharp and quick...so I'm happy with them.

Unread 10/06/2008, 04:51 AM   #84
Freemans Reef
Registered Member

i have been reading through your whole thread and i really like what youve done
i do believe the "sps" coral is actually an aleviopora a lps coral
keep it up more pics

Unread 10/07/2008, 06:30 PM   #85
Rosseau
Registered Member

Ah, thanks Freemans! You're definitely right on that one. I had noticed a couple of times how high the polyps were able to extend in order to compete with the zoanthids for light. This had me thinking, but I could never ID it.

Certainly they are relatively small polyps, but still larger than those on any SPS I've ever had.

Thanks!

I'm glad that you like what I've done, however I still have a lot of things I need to fix.

It was a bit of a rush job because I'm still not too sure how long I'll be living in this house for.

What do you think, grad school? Or should I get a jobbbbb...

Unread 10/07/2008, 06:35 PM   #86
Rosseau
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Der_Iron_Chef
Good luck with that. The Haddoni's are generally hardier than their Gigantea counterparts. I fed my Gigantea mysis and pieces of clam/crab/whatever meat I had.

I am a Canon guy...sort of. I have a 40D, which is great, but the good Canon lenses are too much $$ for me. I have the 50mm f/1.8, and then a few Sigma lenses (24-70mm f/2.8 & 150mm f/2.8). Both Sigmas are sharp and quick...so I'm happy with them.

I've got nothing against Sigma either.

My sort of every day lens is a Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG ... It's a nice lens and I'm pretty happy with it. Unfortunately I think I've been rough on it because it wasn't "L" glass - classic flawed logic on my part.

I've got the 40D too.. up from the XTi, great improvement.

The 400mm is amazing and was a must for birding and other wildlife photography... it really pulls its weight. This of course, doesn't stop me from eyeing beasts like the 500mm IS.

The haddoni isn't yet stable.... sometimes it looks amazing, sometimes it looks like it is all mouth.

Unread 10/07/2008, 06:57 PM   #87
Rosseau
Registered Member

A little picture update.

I have had some pictures on my camera from the last few days: here goes!

I'm still longing for a set up that is more conducive to taking sharp photographs... soon, soon.

Water params... 78-80 degrees; 1.024; nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, ammonia - 0; pH 8.2

-note- If some of the colours appear to be changing from day to day it is due to the several bulb, ballast and lighting-type combos which I have been using these days.... just dialing it all in to what I want-

First, lets see how the clowns are doing...

They are showing all the signs of breeding (or those that I know) except for actually laying eggs... The female even seems to get very fat every week or so suggesting that she is holding eggs. Her fatness subsides and yet I never see eggs... hopefully they will give up the charade soon enough and get down to business.

The little male is really eating well. He's much less timid than a month ago and is less likely to settle for only eating the female's scraps.

Stay away from the top... please please please

Yesterday, they pair decided to get adventurous. Over the afternoon they would venture as far as the water surface and to the top corner, and once all the way to the top-middle of the tank. I think that they were just hungry and looking for food. The corner they were milling around in is where the food comes down to feed them.

Or/Also, I wonder if they are feeling more comfortable in the tank and if so, will this behaviour continue? We'll see...

For now, they are the only fish in the tank.

Unread 10/07/2008, 07:02 PM   #88
Rosseau
Registered Member

Cleaner Shrimp

The pair is doing well and molting fairly regularly.

The female (presumably she is the only female) has started to accumulate eggs. I have yet to get a shot of it, however I'll see what I can do. Judging from the relatively large amount of eggs my old cleaner would carry (former tank) this one has a little while to go before she deposits the eggs.

Both cleaners are less out in the open these days as well... maybe related? maybe not?

I would love to raise the fry... If it weren't for the ~120 day cycle before reaching juvenile shrimp status.

You can see some white spots on this cleaner (above). I think that these are the little coiled, hard filter feeding worms that seem to show up in reef tanks. They're starting to multiply in mine, particularly in areas where my magfloat does not go.

Last edited by Rosseau; 10/07/2008 at 07:08 PM.
Rosseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2008, 07:06 PM   #89
Rosseau
Registered Member

Hmm... the above post was #2000 for me. I suppose I've missed a celebratory post for this "miltestone". Perhaps I should get back to work rather than muse over the minor importance of this...

Maybe I'll buy myself a bristleworm instead.

Unread 10/07/2008, 07:25 PM   #90
Rosseau
Registered Member

I was about to post some more of my micro-invertebrate pictures, but I'm "running on reserve battery power" so says my Mac..... I'm in a coffee shop with 2 plugs and about 15 people on computers....

So, I'll finish the update when I get home... check back in later !

Unread 10/07/2008, 09:08 PM   #91
Rosseau
Registered Member

So, I'm back home and powered up (my laptop, that is).

However, I'm not too interested in posting more pictures at the moment.

I'm more interested in feeling guilty about being involved in this hobby for conservation reasons and talking about it.

Do any of you think about these sorts of things? .... energy usage, pillaging of natural reefs, hoards of equipment and chemicals required to keep these things running etc...

Though I can try to reconcile myself by describing the benefits of this hobby to conservation efforts, I cannot convince myself there is a net positive impact......

Unread 10/08/2008, 12:35 AM   #92
Freemans Reef
Registered Member

here are some pics of an encrusting gonipora i used to have
out of the 2 i like yours better
you should peel some of those zoas off and give it a little room to grow

here it is a few weeks after i removed the shrooms

and fully healed and growing

Last edited by Freemans Reef; 10/08/2008 at 12:50 AM.
Unread 10/08/2008, 06:54 AM   #93
Rosseau
Registered Member

Very nice.

I think I might just break off some of the rock with the alveopora and glue it onto a larger pice of LR. Hopefully the alveopora will grow one way and the zoanthids another.... The rock they are on is just about out of space.

I like it too, it's a nice coral and I'd like to keep it around.

Unread 10/08/2008, 07:10 AM   #94
Rosseau
Registered Member

I'll restrain my rants and get on with the show...

Macro fun again:

Come to my Kenya tree please.

More specifically, come to the base of it. There, you will find this thing. ID?

For now the Kenya tree are growing unbelievably well - probably better than anything else in the tank (coral wise anyways).

Unread 10/08/2008, 07:24 AM   #95
Freemans Reef
Registered Member

i think its an eggcase

Unread 10/08/2008, 07:57 AM   #96
Rosseau
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Freemans Reef
i think its an eggcase

I bet that you are right. An eggcase from what might be a tougher question.

Unread 10/08/2008, 07:59 AM   #97
Rosseau
Registered Member

More inverts on glass.

These have appeared in the past few days and appear to be steadily multiplying (or at least migrating to the glass surfaces where I can see them).

The copepods should give some sense of scale.

In sump, at the waterline with chaeto.

These last ones appear to have more colour. It was later in the day and also under different lighting so this may be important (though, my fuge is lit 24/7 so the time of day may not be entirely relevant for the last picture).

Also, note the round item attached to the chaeto at the water's surface. Potentially an egg sac of another kind...?

Also, there is something to the top left of the last image... you can see it above the waterline but with some water adsorbed onto it.

Unread 10/08/2008, 08:11 AM   #98
Rosseau
Registered Member

Isopods (and more)

Isopod populations have been climbing in the past week - particularly in the sump.

A tighter crop of above:

Some diversity at the waterline:

A tighter crop of above: Not sure about these ones...

Flatworm: Fat and Fast.

Likely some sort of tunicate: ...or not, due to the external parts...?

Filter feeding worms:

Another gastropod:

Unread 10/10/2008, 09:00 AM   #99
Rosseau
Registered Member

I'm a little surprised that the micro invert photographs don't get a little more attention. I think the fact that they thrive, that nitrifying bacteria thrives etc is the coolest parts of these tanks.

Anyways...

Skimmer is doing very very well now. Though, I still want something more powerful, I'm not sure if it would make a difference or not.

The picture posted previously that was thought to have maybe been an eggcase just might be part of the Kenya tree.

Very interesting.... it doesn't appear to be physically attached to the flesh of the larger kenya tree... I'll see how this one turns out. It looks like I may end up with three stalks.

Here is the two Kenya trees together (and a lot of microbubbles).

Clown.

This last one is all over the place... I'm only posting it because of the cool orange light on the anemone under the clown.... The light that went through the tail..

As per usual, any comments are appreciated... good or bad!

Unread 10/11/2008, 03:44 PM   #100
Der_Iron_Chef
Registered Member

Hey man. Looking good! The Haddoni looks healthy, for the most part, and they're generally MUCH more forgiving than their Gigantea counterparts, so I'd wager yours will pull through. What are you feeding it? You might've mentioned it and I just missed it.

Ahh, the "L" glass *does* spoil a person, eh? I'm happy with the Sigmas, though....the 150mm lens is sickly sharp. Yum.