Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2014, 09:03 PM   #26
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Well let's put it this way I switched salts from one brand to another because there were a few things like lead and liithium and bromiide that were elevated by 2x. And killed a lot of coral with a magenese level like almost 50 to 100x nsw. Yet when I tested it iin my tank it was gone. So I think corals absorbed it and blew out from it. I promise I will diverge results soon. I'm waiting for 4 more back. Salts tested out of bucket with fresh ro are ; esv, red sea blue bucket, instant ocean, tropic Marin regular and tropic Marin pro reef, and ddH20 rowa.

hedgedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2014, 09:06 PM   #27
hedgedrew
Registered Member

I am also convinced that there are different things that effect fish differently than coral. The salt that killed coral actually has had an improved effect on the fish. But the mag and high light was too much for the sps.

Unread 12/11/2014, 09:11 PM   #28
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Well I just looked at the esv test above. Annd unless triton is purposely going after premium salt mkt and knows which salt it is.... you can deduct which salt had elevated lithium boron strontium and bromide. exactly double. Just like in my tests. And hot magnesium.

Unread 12/11/2014, 09:27 PM   #29
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Bill you are right on the mn. I have no idea either but I swear as I switched salts with the one that was elevated it was like someone increased the light penetration huge.

Unread 12/12/2014, 12:28 PM   #30
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Just got my results back. High lithium, bromide, and boron. Using RSCP salt.

The really weird part was that absolutely no phosphorous or phosphate was detected. I've got a massive GHA plague right now, so that threw me for a loop. Anyone else in the same boat?

PADI Advanced Open Water Diver
Systems: 200g SPS-dominant, 75g Rescue, 30g QT, & 10g QT
MechEng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2014, 01:28 PM   #31
swk
Registered Member

Triton Test Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEng99 View Post

The really weird part was that absolutely no phosphorous or phosphate was detected. I've got a massive GHA plague right now, so that threw me for a loop. Anyone else in the same boat?

That's probably why it tested at zero. The gha is using it all and in turn, the po4 is fueling it. Are you using 2-part in your tank? The only reason I ask is that I'm using kalk and don't have the problems that many other are encountering with the higher heavy metals.

The other main difference is I'm using the blue bucket Red Sea salt. My results were awesome and I'm waiting to see results from another tank that uses this salt to compare. It's awesome stuff ime.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal SPS dominant reef. Geo calcium reactor with masterflex pump, Deltec 1455 skimmer, 2 mp40QD, mp10wes, lit by a 6x54 dimable ATI sunpower and controlled by Reef Angel
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2014, 04:44 PM   #32
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Why sont you try testing that red sea blue bucket out of the tank and in fresh mixed ro!!! You may feel differently

Unread 12/12/2014, 08:10 PM   #33
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

I'd expect at least some detectable phosphate for the algae. I can't get chaeto or other macro to grow, barely feed, skim wet, run GFO, and run carbon.

I do run 2-part. Posting results soon. Interesting too...the Triton test didn't match my Red Sea tests of the same water.

Unread 12/12/2014, 09:21 PM   #34
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Calcium: 504.900 (425 w/ Red Sea Foundation Test)
Magnesium: 1605.000 (1480 w/ Red Sea Foundation Test)
Iron: 0.000 (0 w/ Red Sea Color Test)
Iodine: 0.0292 ppm (0.03 w/ Red Sea Color Test)
Potassium 440.400 (440 w/ Red Sea Color Test)
Mercury: 0.000
Selenium: 0.000
Cadmium: 0.000
Tin: 0.000
Antimony: 0.000
Arsenic: 0.000
Aluminum: 0.000
Lead: 0.000
Titanium: 0.000
Copper: 0.000
Sodium: 10679.000
Bromine: 81.480
Boron: 7.950
Strontium: 6.280
Sulfur: 1030.000
Lithium: 477.500
Nickel: 0.000
Molybdenum: 7.450
Vanadium: 0.000
Zinc: 0.880
Manganese: 0.000
Chromium: 0.000
Cobalt: 0.000
Iron: 0.000 (0 w/ Red Sea Color Kit)
Barium: 12.960
Beryllium: 0.000
Silicon: 68.810
Phosphorous: 0.000
Phosphate: 0.000 (0.00 w/ Hanna Phosphate Checker)

Last edited by MechEng99; 12/12/2014 at 09:38 PM.
Unread 12/13/2014, 07:36 AM   #35
doctorwhoreefer
Moved On

The results are in!

This is my tank before I got rid of the emergency-homed 'way too big for my tank fish'.

I do believe I may have used Reef Plus the week before, so it's questionable where the Al and Cu come from. There is Cu in the Reef Plus. (I'm moving onto the Red Sea program though) Unless of course the rocks I got were in a tank that had a copper bomb of some sort.. There is a few rocks that are fairly new. Or of course unless TechM has a bit of Cu, the TechM bryopsis attempt was a few months back. (didn't work)

Otherwise the sand is the Black Tahiti sand iirc? I'm assuming this is the source of the Al, unless it is indeed the salt.(Fluval sea salt)

I think I'm going to send in a fresh sample of just the salt mix. Already got new sand since I suspected the black sand may be playing a role in the non-stellar look of a few corals.. I got some Special Grade Seaflor sand rinsed and ready, but I was awaiting the test results.

*Edit
I bet it is the black sand for the aluminum, perhaps the copper as well? (I don't dose Reef Plus except for maybe once every couple months and that's with weekly 15g wc's on a 75)
I use Poly-filter as well, it's only ever tan/brown, but I run biopellets and the pad is in the skimmer output.
Here's what they say, so it obviously is absorbing Cu and Al. So this is probably my reduced ambient levels leeching from the sand?
Another important and patented feature of the "Poly Filter" is its unique ability to change a different color with the absorption of specific pollutants. It turns blue with a copper salt, light green to aqua with free copper, orange with iron, red with aluminum, yellowish green with ammonia and white to beige to brown to black with the absorption of harmful organics.

Ya, on the Reef Plus bottle, .001 mg per 1 g. So I don't think that's the source.

So either live rocks leeching or black sand.. I did get the rocks from someone who had a tank for 15 years, found black areas on the rock so their tank probably crashed. Pre-crash I guess I have no idea if they ever used copper or not.

Anyone seen any triton results from someone with black sand?

For curiosity as well, I took a 736 Phosphorous test at the same time I took the Triton test.
Here's from my calendar:
triton test sampled, 0.1962304 po4 according to hanna (+.011 then)

So I guess they're *fairly accurate hehe

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TritonTest1-FluvalAndBlackSand.jpg (74.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg TritonTest1.2-FluvalAndBlackSand.jpg (74.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg TritonTest1.3-FluvalAndBlackSand.jpg (72.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by doctorwhoreefer; 12/13/2014 at 08:14 AM.
doctorwhoreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2014, 07:40 AM   #36
doctorwhoreefer
Moved On

Quote:

It's interesting you had elevated levels in your tests with RSCP, iirc someone else had pretty much perfect results with RS regular?(blue bucket is regular?)

Unread 12/13/2014, 08:55 AM   #37
doctorwhoreefer
Moved On

Upon further reading, do you think the Cu, Al, and Ba might be coming from the sand?
I guess it's a toss up on what composition the volcanic rock is? (at least it looks like broken up volcanic rock)

Unread 12/15/2014, 06:42 PM   #38
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

Bump to get more results!

Unread 12/16/2014, 05:10 AM   #39
Big E
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd expect at least some detectable phosphate for the algae. I can't get chaeto or other macro to grow, barely feed, skim wet, run GFO, and run carbon.

I do run 2-part. Posting results soon. Interesting too...the Triton test didn't match my Red Sea tests of the same water.
In most cases the fuel for hair algae is sequestered in the rock due to inefficient flow or maintenance practices.

Once the algae gets any length to it, it can catch nutrients in the water column as the fronds are very good at capturing particles. They get fed before your GFO, skimmer, and algae refugium can get at it.

There's a few very simple steps to fix that if that's your problem. I don't want to take this thread off track, but I'd be happy to share it in a pm.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2015, 06:05 PM   #40
tmantaylor18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
In most cases the fuel for hair algae is sequestered in the rock due to inefficient flow or maintenance practices.

Once the algae gets any length to it, it can catch nutrients in the water column as the fronds are very good at capturing particles. They get fed before your GFO, skimmer, and algae refugium can get at it.

There's a few very simple steps to fix that if that's your problem. I don't want to take this thread off track, but I'd be happy to share it in a pm.
I have the same exact problem and would like to here what you have to say. I've been showing 0 phosphates for the last 6 months with no algae at all. Over the last week hair algae and brown diatoms are everywhere. I also have a refugium that is growing very well.

tmantaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2015, 04:48 PM   #41
hedgedrew
Registered Member

so all the tropic marin salts also had ridiculous mn also according to triton about 40x nsw i wonder if triton stops testing for me lol that they used to recommend this salt all other params were fine but this tested same way as red sea so i ask do we want double the amount of lithium or 40x the magenese i know which one i would take

Unread 02/19/2015, 04:50 PM   #42
swk
Registered Member

Triton Test Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgedrew View Post
so all the tropic marin salts also had ridiculous mn also according to triton about 40x nsw i wonder if triton stops testing for me lol that they used to recommend this salt all other params were fine but this tested same way as red sea so i ask do we want double the amount of lithium or 40x the magenese i know which one i would take

I wonder if it's the same salt?

Oh, and I know which one I would want as well....

Current Tank Info: 75 gal SPS dominant reef. Geo calcium reactor with masterflex pump, Deltec 1455 skimmer, 2 mp40QD, mp10wes, lit by a 6x54 dimable ATI sunpower and controlled by Reef Angel
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2015, 04:59 PM   #43
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Drew, all of the Tropic Marin samples you sent tested that high in mangenese? Hmmm. Not sure what to think at this point. I switched from ESV to TMPR a couple of months ago because of the high lithium!

To add to all of this confusion take a look at the new article Thales wrote about the Triton test. Triton tested the manganese at 396% of the actual known level in the sample.

Too many questions, not enough answers!

Unread 02/19/2015, 06:16 PM   #44
Bilk
Registered Member

Posting my results here as well for comparison. Tank was started on RSCPro but that was only startup. I didn't like the salt so switched to ESV which I had used before. Essentially the tank has run on ESV for a year when this test was performed.

I recently switched to TM Blue Bucket because of the high Li and Br. I also didn't like that ESV tested positive for PO4 when freshly mixed. I discussed this with Bob and he claimed it was normal and inconsequential. Maybe so, but I didn't want that in my salt mix. I'm going to let the tank run on TM for a few months as I have quite a few hundred gallons of mix to use, and then test again.

Unread 02/19/2015, 07:08 PM   #45
hedgedrew
Registered Member

your lithium levels and br levels are consistent with the bad batches his new formulation post date dec 22 are significantly lower plus you should test the salt mixed with ro not from tank too many other variables like 2 part that is interesting mn info by thales still some salts are testing higher than others

Unread 02/20/2015, 04:14 AM   #46
alexander_ktn
Registered Member

Rich Ross and Chris Maupin did a test of Triton with a high standard seawater reference solution, published here recently: http://www.reefsmagazine.com/mag.php...&articleId=159

Worth a read in my opinion.

alexander_ktn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2015, 07:52 AM   #47
Bilk
Registered Member

Quote:
your lithium levels and br levels are consistent with the bad batches his new formulation post date dec 22 are significantly lower plus you should test the salt mixed with ro not from tank too many other variables like 2 part that is interesting mn info by thales still some salts are testing higher than others
I agree that the salt should be tested freshly mixed if one suspects there's an issue with the salt. That wasn't the reason I sent the water out for testing. I never had any suspicions about the salt. Always liked it. Just wanted to see if my system was accumulating any heavy metals and what other parameters were that I cannot measure. I had also used another service and wanted to compare the results. Wasn't very happy with that service. They were non-comunicative when I asked some questions regarding the test. Needless to say I won't be using them again.

Tags
paramters, salt brand, triton