Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2018, 09:56 AM   #1
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Need advice on Nikon upgrade

I currently have D70 and D200, with the following lenses
Sigma 28-90D called a macro but not a real one.
Quantaray AF LD 55-200
Nikkor 70-300
Sigma Zoom Master 35-70
Set of Extension tubes with the electronic pass through.
Battery Grip on the D200

Looking at a D3400 body with AF-P DX 18-55mm G VR and 70-300mm G ED
or a D5600 DSLR with AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

Trying to see if my old lenses will work with the D3400, are the pictures gonna be better, worth upgrading??
I want(not need) an upgrade, trying to get back into taking pictures on a regular basis...
Can't keep all 3 cameras so....

Current Tank Info: 29g with 2 Engineer gobies
JamesHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 12:55 PM   #2
five.five-six
Registered Member

Fallowing

I believe the lenses will work if they are F-mount, which they all should be.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Misled
RC Mod

So here we go. First, the lenses will work with the cameras, they "may" or "may not" auto focus. I know the Sigma 28-90 won't auto focus, (I have that lens). Look at the mount on it. Look at where the mount has the screws that hold it on. There's one that looks like a regular screwdriver. That's what drives the AF. Any of the other lenses that have that won't AF on the bodies you're looking at.

About the pictures being better. That's really a loaded question. First, what's wrong with your pictures now? The 200 is a very capable camera. Do you want to take pics of your tank? Do you use any post processing?

Unread 11/09/2018, 07:51 AM   #4
JamesHolt
Registered Member

I am wanting to do tank pictures, was thinking using the D200 just for that and macro, and carrying the new one with me..
I don't do any post-processing other than cropping and adding a frame/sig..
I haven't found a way to get around my colorblindness in post-processing yet.. but winter is coming and work should slow down so I can try to get serious with this..
Found another bundle for the D5600 that has AF-P DX 18-55mm VR and 70-300mm VR lenses with it also..
Also went ahead and ordered some off-camera flashes for the tank photos...

Unread 11/09/2018, 08:23 AM   #5
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Checked all my lenses, Jesse, they all have that connection for the AF..
So if I get the D5600 I will only have the AF-P DX 18-55mm VR and 70-300mm VR lenses.
Those should be enough for a bit though...Normally using the 35-70 or 70-300 outside...
More to ponder...

Unread 11/09/2018, 11:12 AM   #6
Misled
RC Mod

IMPO, the 200 is as good as those others. They may have better ISO and IQ, but to me, all that can be worked around. I would look into a good macro lens first. That will help more than anything.

Unread 11/12/2018, 11:14 AM   #7
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
IMPO, the 200 is as good as those others. They may have better ISO and IQ, but to me, all that can be worked around. I would look into a good macro lens first. That will help more than anything.
That was my thinking.

The D200 is a semi-pro body and there are several features the newer entree level bodies won’t have. Mostly quick adjustment controls.

The D3400 and D5600 are more marked to the big P&S but can change lenses market. They can do everything you can do with the D200, you just don’t have to drill down into the menus to do a lot of the functions with a D200.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 08:37 AM   #8
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Decided on the D5600, wifey chipped in for half of it, guess there will be more doggie pictures now...lol
Took a few with it last night and this morning, lenses are really nice...
The hinge on the top of my tool cart 18-55 zoomed all the way out..

Canister filters in the shop..

Lens Cap..

Trees at 70 then 300

Unread 11/14/2018, 08:39 AM   #9
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Leaves at 70 then 300

Flower at 70 then 300

And of course Kato had to get in the way...

Unread 11/28/2018, 01:09 PM   #10
prodigalsquire
Registered Member

In my opinion, lenses matter more than bodies, the better the lens the better the images. All that out of the way, the question I would ask is:

What else besides your tank(s) are you looking to shoot?

Personally I shoot a lot of wildlife and nature, so my two big concerns were shutter speed, and pixel count. I ended up with a camera that can hit up to 22FPS and has a robust Auto-focusing system, I can shoot everything else with it, but it excels at capturing the unpredictable action of wildlife. However I can turn around and shoot a model in my studio with the same camera, and the images are great.

Most pro-sumer DSLRs are pretty similar, and for "general purpose" shooting you wont see much of a difference, but each one does one or two things better than the others, and that is where you can make a huge difference.

Beyond that I shoot Canon, so I cannot give you model advice for Nikon.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Unread 12/06/2018, 01:10 PM   #11
Xandernfs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigalsquire View Post
In my opinion, lenses matter more than bodies, the better the lens the better the images.

Good luck and happy shooting!
I would agree with the above. Glass makes all the difference. There were only 2 times when I've noticed a difference when it came to the body. THe first time was when we made the switch to a full frame. That was night and day. The other noticable difference is when we jumped to a D850. This thing is a beast, but the file sizes are HUGE!

You have a great pro-sumer camera with your 5600. Next investment should be glass if you feel the need to upgrade.

Xandernfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2018, 08:54 AM   #12
NikonN8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandernfs View Post
THe first time was when we made the switch to a full frame. That was night and day. The other noticable difference is when we jumped to a D850.
You think that's fun, you would have enjoyed the jump going from an APS-C T5i straight to the D850 Yowza, learning curve!!

But hey, I get a hot new photo-processing PC in January, so the fun takes another leap.

Unread 12/08/2018, 09:44 PM   #13
JamesHolt
Registered Member

After having the D5600 and playing with it for a bit,, it is a nice camera...
But for me, way too light/small, just feels cheap...
The SD card is nice, beats trying to find a CF card in stock somewhere...
Wife likes using it, not as intimidating as the D200 for her...
Still keeping the D200 though, after playing with the D5600 I think the D200 is a better camera for what I want...
Gonna box up the D70 and take it to CamCor, see what I can get on a store credit...

Unread 12/09/2018, 11:26 AM   #14
Misled
RC Mod

I've had the 200. When I upgraded, I went to the 300. Not a lot of difference, but better IQ and better at higher ISO's, which the 200 sucked at. Found a 300s for a good price and picked it up, (I was at about 150k clicks on the 300). The 300s adds video and use of "either" CF or SD cards. I'd like to get a 500 but I'm throwing money at other stuff right now.