Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2015, 07:10 PM   #351
tonypittman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfrogs View Post
Tony - that is a really nice shrimp! Where did you get the pair and how much did you pay? My pair would separate every now and again. You may want to cut the next star in half to ensure they both eat. Hopefully they will pair back up.
The pair came from Diver's Den. They were sold as a pair, but shipped in separate bags. Maybe the bond was forgotten/lost?

Since that photo, I have had to move the male to another tank. He was getting beaten up pretty bad. I hope he makes it.

The female seems content on her own, but I really wanted to keep a pair.

Maybe I need to try another male...possibly a bigger one. The female has grown noticeably over the last couple of weeks.

ideas welcome!

tonypittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2015, 07:18 PM   #352
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

It's possible one species is an H. Elegans, and the other is a H. picta. I have a similar situation here, my male is an H. elegans, and the female is a H. picta and they share food together, they breed, they hang near each other, but never travel or walk around the tank together.

Unread 02/14/2015, 07:44 PM   #353
tonypittman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calappidae View Post
It's possible one species is an H. Elegans, and the other is a H. picta. I have a similar situation here, my male is an H. elegans, and the female is a H. picta and they share food together, they breed, they hang near each other, but never travel or walk around the tank together.
I think mine are the same species. But, I'd take your situation over the one I have. At least your female is not trying to kill your male!

tonypittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 12:22 PM   #354
brownguy918
Registered Member

let's talk about harlequin shrimp

Will they eat all starfish? ( Sea serpint? ) I am new to this hobby and do not want to add something that will start killing everything. I have a lot of Asterina starfish in my main tank. They eat the algae and I have not had a problem with them yet but am concerned with them getting out of control. One year old 180 gallon saltwater, aquarium 30 gallon refugium and 36 gallon sump

brownguy918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 12:23 PM   #355
gotfrogs
Premium Member

The will not eat sea serpents

gotfrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 12:27 PM   #356
Betta132
Registered Member

These are not a creature to purchase for asterina control. They will eat all the asterinas and will then starve if not fed. You have to be prepared to buy starfish for the rest of their lives.
Asterinas are harmless, just feed a bit less and the population won't go out of control.

Unread 03/01/2015, 12:57 PM   #357
paul87
Registered Member

They will eat some brittle stars though, if they have the chance. Thats only if that is all that is left. Most brittles can get away though. They don't mess with serpents. Bongo shrimp eat brittles and I think serpents, not positive on the serpents. If your using one for asterina control have a plan before purchase. Either have a future home for it where it will be fed she it is done or plan to buy a starfish at least every month for it. They are remarkable creatures and a joy to keep.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 09:07 PM   #358
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Hymenocera will not eat serpent or brittle starfish. Both lack tubefeet which is the only part of the star they eat. On very rare circumstances, they may attack a sea urchin however. I may have experienced this only once.. but I never physically seen the harlequins attack the urchin, only just a sudden disappearence.

Bumblebee shrimp, a relative of harlequin shrimp also live on a tubefeet diet (though not obligant) going after the same prey as harlys. Actually, I witnessed large numbers of bumbleshrimp being "hosted" by a sea apple, I believe that could've been potential prey for them since they do have tubefeet.. if that's the same for hymenocera I don't know.

Unread 03/17/2015, 09:07 AM   #359
paul87
Registered Member

They will eat these!... which is my newest addition since the Harlequin is gone. So, this is what I traded off for I suppose. LOL. They are both very beautiful, the harlequin with the coolest personality though. Just thought I would share my red linkia, a definite food source for a harlequin.

Unread 03/17/2015, 09:09 AM   #360
paul87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calappidae View Post
Hymenocera will not eat serpent or brittle starfish. Both lack tubefeet which is the only part of the star they eat. On very rare circumstances, they may attack a sea urchin however. I may have experienced this only once.. but I never physically seen the harlequins attack the urchin, only just a sudden disappearence.

Bumblebee shrimp, a relative of harlequin shrimp also live on a tubefeet diet (though not obligant) going after the same prey as harlys. Actually, I witnessed large numbers of bumbleshrimp being "hosted" by a sea apple, I believe that could've been potential prey for them since they do have tubefeet.. if that's the same for hymenocera I don't know.
That does seem to make sense and that what I thought as well. Google research led to a lot of mixed reviews on that though. I do believe you to be correct though.

Unread 04/28/2015, 12:18 PM   #361
aquatictec
RC Sponsor

Our experience raising harlequin shrimp

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...rlequin+shrimp

aquatictec is offline   Reply With Quote