Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Chris918
Registered Member

Question Red Sea Pro vs. Red Sea Salt

Hey guys I'm wanting to start my biggest tank project yet sometime in the Spring. That being said I'm planning all the minor details now before I start. I see a lot of back and forth on which Red Sea salt mix is best. One of the complaints I hear about the pro is that it leaves a residue in mixing containers. I'm unsure if this is an issue or not. What is this residue anyway? Other than that it seems that the Pro has much higher levels of Ca, dKH, and Mg. I'll admit I don't have much experience with SPS at this time and normally stick to LPS and softies, but I want the option open for SPS later in the tank's life. The problem with the mixed reef seems to be finding parameters that are as close to ideal as possible for a wide range of corals that need different lighting and flow patterns to keep them healthy. Any advice on which salt I should go with? What's your experience been?

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 01:45 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I personally find it best to target Oceanic levels or a bit higher in ones parameters.

Then I pick a salt thats readily available, low cost and matches my target levels so that I can do as much of a water change as I want and not have to worry about the parameters changing from that..

I think there seems to be a trend of people getting away from the "high level" mixes lately...

Unread 11/22/2017, 01:54 PM   #3
biecacka
Registered Member

I use IO. It's not the most expensive but it works for me. I believe that if you dose, or run a calcium reactor that a majority of the needs are met by those actions. Therefore no need to buy more expensive salt. JMO though. As mcgyvr stated, he buys a salt and then matches it to existing levels in his tank. <~~good advice.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 02:21 PM   #4
Chris918
Registered Member

Yeah I saw Coral Pro had very high levels of alkalinity for example. Much easier to dose a salt to get levels up then to do a ton of changes to get it down I'd imagine.

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 02:23 PM   #5
biecacka
Registered Member

Right. But you can use things to lower the Alk before you do the water change so it matches your tank. I think it's baking soda, but will check he chemistry forum first unless someone answers it here.

Corey

Unread 11/22/2017, 02:52 PM   #6
Shamous113
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Right. But you can use things to lower the Alk before you do the water change so it matches your tank. I think it's baking soda, but will check he chemistry forum first unless someone answers it here.

Corey
Baking soda increases alk, muriatic acid can be used to lower it but use with caution.

Unread 11/22/2017, 03:02 PM   #7
Shamous113
Registered Member

I use to use IO reef crystals and didn't like how high teh alk was, I'm on my second box of seachem Vibrant Sea and i'm liking it so far. here is a good thread to read on salt mixes
A General Guide to Salt Mixes

Unread 11/22/2017, 03:06 PM   #8
biecacka
Registered Member

Shamous, thanks for clearing that up. I always get them backwards.

Corey

Unread 11/22/2017, 03:16 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamous113 View Post
I use to use IO reef crystals and didn't like how high teh alk was, I'm on my second box of seachem Vibrant Sea and i'm liking it so far. here is a good thread to read on salt mixes
A General Guide to Salt Mixes
I have been using regular IO but only till I run out and I plan to switch too..
As even the regular IO is too high in ALK for me..
I've been keeping my alk at 8dKH lately..

Unread 11/22/2017, 03:20 PM   #10
hkgar
Registered Member

Here is a handy guide to various salt mix parameters. I had been using Red Sea because of the lower dKH (7.7). I have switched to Coralife for dKH level and low price.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 04:03 PM   #11
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris918 View Post
Hey guys I'm wanting to start my biggest tank project yet sometime in the Spring. That being said I'm planning all the minor details now before I start. I see a lot of back and forth on which Red Sea salt mix is best. One of the complaints I hear about the pro is that it leaves a residue in mixing containers. I'm unsure if this is an issue or not. What is this residue anyway? Other than that it seems that the Pro has much higher levels of Ca, dKH, and Mg. I'll admit I don't have much experience with SPS at this time and normally stick to LPS and softies, but I want the option open for SPS later in the tank's life. The problem with the mixed reef seems to be finding parameters that are as close to ideal as possible for a wide range of corals that need different lighting and flow patterns to keep them healthy. Any advice on which salt I should go with? What's your experience been?
Hi....I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt....I have never used another brand in 4 years of mixing my own water....I have a mixed reef some SPS...large Deresa Clam...and LPS...I do a 10% water change once a week. I mix my water at 1.025. I don't have to dose calcium. My calcium stays at 440-450.....I never noticed a residue at the bottom of my.mixing container. I love this salt mix...

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 09:32 PM   #12
Shamous113
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Shamous, thanks for clearing that up. I always get them backwards.

Corey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
so far i'm happy with switching, a box of seachem Vibrant Sea mixed at 1.026 makes about 170 US Gallons the price point is close to io reef crystals and the big 3 look pretty good Cal= 480, Mag= 1400, Alk= 9.6dKH.
The actual salt is a little granular, but it mixes well and has very little sediment.

Unread 11/22/2017, 09:55 PM   #13
whenry
Registered Member

I’ve used Red Sea and switched to pro about 6 water changes ago. The pro requires you pay attention to mixing temp and time to prevent precipitation.

whenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 10:06 PM   #14
ROB2005
Reefing Is My Passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
What's the highest Alk reading you have gotten from regular IO? Been using Reef Crystals and my alk level is around 8.5-9

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon corner overflow, 4-54W T-5 , dozen blue hermits, tiger pistol/yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, banghai and pajama cardinals
ROB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mixed reef, red sea coral pro, red sea salt