Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/21/2017, 08:57 PM   #1
Bulldog39
Registered Member

Can I remove this

Just bought a 120 gallon tank and it has a middle piece on top. Can I remove this with no issues?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bulldog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 09:00 PM   #2
JonMayo
Registered Member

New to the saltwater world but not to the aquarium world by a long shot and my thoughts are no that brace gives the tank it’s strength.

JonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 09:04 PM   #3
Daddi0
Registered Member

If you remove the whole center brace you run the risk of the front and back panels bowing and possibly a big wet mess. Depending on how the 2 bars are attached, you may be able to safely remove the glass.
Cheers! Mark

Unread 11/21/2017, 09:24 PM   #4
don_chuwish
Registered Member

You can remove it, if you want a nice big reptile terrarium. ;-)
How thick is the front and back glass? You could go a bit crazy and remove the big chunky center brace & top trim and replace it with Euro bracing and a more slender glass center brace. Lot of work and some cost though.

Unread 11/22/2017, 01:14 PM   #5
scooter31707
Registered Member

I would not mess with it.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 01:29 PM   #6
sde1500
Registered Member

This kills the tank.

Though that is really an absurdly large center brace...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 02:02 PM   #7
billdogg
Registered Member

Looks like an ancient Oceanic tank to me. It was designed with the brace for a reason. Can you take it out? Sure. Just not without replacing it with some other form of bracing.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 03:49 PM   #8
Bulldog39
Registered Member

Yeah it's an old tank. Like 20 years. It has glass covers for the 2 openings but worthless for me. Will send a closer pic when I get home cause it looks like it is just silicone on top cause it's loose

Unread 11/22/2017, 04:38 PM   #9
moneymm
Registered Member

saving money is great, but I Wouldnt start off with that tank. unless it has sentimental value or something, you should be able to get a much better used tank on craigslist or something for cheap.

Phantom Clown, Ocellaris Cown, 10 Snails, 4 Hermit Crabs
moneymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 05:33 PM   #10
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm View Post
saving money is great, but I Wouldnt start off with that tank. unless it has sentimental value or something, you should be able to get a much better used tank on craigslist or something for cheap.
I disagree.

Those old tanks were made like, well, tanks. I have one in the basement that I got used from the LFS I worked at in 1988 or so. It had been their feeder goldfish tank for untold years before that. I rinsed it well and put it in service. It is still going strong today. That would make it somewhere in the 40+ y/o range. FWIW, I still have the eheim 1262 that came with it. It is still in use as well.

They just don't make them like that anymore.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 05:41 PM   #11
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm View Post

Why? I see no reason not to.

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
Unread 11/22/2017, 05:52 PM   #12
Bulldog39
Registered Member

Other than dirty it seems like a sturdy tank. Just don't like the piece on top. Look at the pics below the piece doesn't really look like a brace but it is an older tank and I'm not sure. What you all think? And yes I know it's really dirt that is what I'm doing all weekend.

Unread 11/22/2017, 06:37 PM   #13
garygonzales
Registered Member

yea that dont look like it supporting anything...thats wierd...i would do what some people suggeted here ..is to take it out and reinforce it.with something kind of better bracing...am also wondering how this tank held water without bowing out...hmmm

garygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 09:02 PM   #14
Bulldog39
Registered Member

It's full in the pic. Got it full of tap water now for 2 days testing it. Can it be a design thing just for the glass tips maybe?

Unread 11/22/2017, 09:07 PM   #15
garygonzales
Registered Member

looks like someone took out center brace and put this in,...but i would think you need a center brace..for a tank like this...i would put one in if i were you...

garygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 09:47 PM   #16
Bulldog39
Registered Member

It's 5 foot long does it need a center brace? If so please tell me how to add a much slimmer one.

Unread 11/22/2017, 10:11 PM   #17
jlmawp
Registered Member

Like 5 people in this very thread have told you that you need a center brace. Why are you ignoring them and asking the same question again?

I just googled “add center brace aquarium” and a bazillion DIY links and videos came up immediately. Go check some stuff out and come back with more specific questions. People here can help, but they aren’t going to do all the work for you. Doing some research first will help you understand things better.

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 10:26 PM   #18
Bulldog39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmawp View Post
Like 5 people in this very thread have told you that you need a center brace. Why are you ignoring them and asking the same question again?

I just googled “add center brace aquarium” and a bazillion DIY links and videos came up immediately. Go check some stuff out and come back with more specific questions. People here can help, but they aren’t going to do all the work for you. Doing some research first will help you understand things better.
Dude I've told you stop talking on my threads. I ask questions because I am new ig I wanted to Google everything this wouldn't exist. I am asking people in the field because one of them may have done this and know more than what Google says. You are a troll and need a life. I'm an idiot that is asking help. See my name and just move on. No need to just be a douche. Everyone else is adding to the conversation and then you tank it and say Google. If that works for you then delete the app and move on with your expertise and let other nice people help out us less known people in our journey. I watch videos and Google stuff but there is a us to people that have done it. This is what the new to the hobby form is it's NEW. By douche

Unread 11/22/2017, 10:39 PM   #19
jlmawp
Registered Member

This entire forum is people asking for help. I have no issues with that. But you are a person who asks for help and when he doesn’t like the answers he gets, continues to ask the same question hoping to get the answer he wants. Multiple people said the center brace was essential, and without acknowledging any of them, you asked, again, whether or not is was necessary. Call me crazy, but usually people posting on advice forums take that advice. Also, I thought you said you blocked me

There is a big difference between asking for a little help here and there and creating 37 threads since last month. Literally 37. Cmon man, do some more research on your own.

I’m not a troll, I’m just calling bs out when I see it. Check my post history, and you’ll find little to no dbaggery. That said, fair enough, I’ll leave you alone.

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 10:49 PM   #20
Bulldog39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmawp View Post
This entire forum is people asking for help. I have no issues with that. But you are a person who asks for help and when he doesn’t like the answers he gets, continues to ask the same question hoping to get the answer he wants. Multiple people said the center brace was essential, and without acknowledging any of them, you asked, again, whether or not is was necessary. Call me crazy, but usually people posting on advice forums take that advice. Also, I thought you said you blocked me

There is a big difference between asking for a little help here and there and creating 37 threads since last month. Literally 37. Cmon man, do some more research on your own.

I’m not a troll, I’m just calling bs out when I see it. Check my post history, and you’ll find little to no dbaggery. That said, fair enough, I’ll leave you alone.
It's not me keep asking for a different answer it I'm not positive I made it clear as someone who knows more. Like the brace yes I know I need one but the first pics don't show same as the others. My fault for not giving better pics. So I asked then thought hey they don't see it's not connected in places so let me show. Got feed back and said ok best idea for taking it away and replacing it. So again how am I messing up? I can program a computer or rebuild a gun from scratch but clueless on this. I can learn but yes like a child ask a question 12 ways to make sure I asked right and that I got the best answer. If I read a question one way I have no input then when reworded I'm like oh I can answer this and give advise. Same concept.

Unread 11/22/2017, 11:31 PM   #21
Daddi0
Registered Member

My 65 had a melted center brace. I emptied the tank put in two plastic "cutter sticks" with nylon bolts. seems to hold. here is a link to the type of plastic sticks I used.http://www.jorsonandcarlson.com/prod...r_cutters.html
I have a friend that runs a print shop so I was able to get one for free.
Cheers! Mark

Unread 11/23/2017, 06:31 AM   #22
timnem70
Registered Member

Or... You could just leave it alone and put your aquascape on either side of it like two peninsulas with your lights over them, shadowing the middle and move forward.
All others have said is accurate that the brace stays or needs to he replaced. They made those old tanks with super think glass but unless you personally know the history of that thing it is a crap shoot.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

timnem70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 07:20 AM   #23
Shamous113
Registered Member

in the second set of pictures it shows the trim is not tight, the glass brace will be attached to the front and back panels with silicone and it's defiantly needed. you can remove the trim on the center brace but i think you'll find the edge of the glass hasn't been polished, leaving sharp edges exposed.

it is possible to change the center brace, but you do need a brace of some sort. I would recommend it be done by some one with experience. typically if you go to a narrower pc of glass you also have to increase the thickness. You'll have to check the numbers on the forces applied to reduce the risk of failure, a good structural engineer will have software that will make this easy.

To give you a idea of the forces applied years ago I had a 150 flat back hexagon tank that had a similar brace, the silicone joint on the front let go and both the front and back panels bow more then 3/8"

Unread 11/23/2017, 09:13 AM   #24
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog39 View Post
It's 5 foot long does it need a center brace? If so please tell me how to add a much slimmer one.

You do have a tendency to reiterate questions multiple times. The "please tell me" phrasing probably doesn't help. People like helping those who also try helping themselves a bit. Instead of always asking "tell me" an occasional "I looked up a few things and here are some questions I have to clarify the matter for me" would go a long way.

Any trimmed tank of a reasonable size uses bracing. My 65 gallon is braced. Your tank will certainly need to be braced. As to how? Can't help sorry. Not something I've done before. Here's a pic of how my center brace looks.

Unread 11/23/2017, 05:25 PM   #25
tweetyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamous113 View Post
in the second set of pictures it shows the trim is not tight, the glass brace will be attached to the front and back panels with silicone and it's defiantly needed. you can remove the trim on the center brace but i think you'll find the edge of the glass hasn't been polished, leaving sharp edges exposed.

it is possible to change the center brace, but you do need a brace of some sort. I would recommend it be done by some one with experience. typically if you go to a narrower pc of glass you also have to increase the thickness. You'll have to check the numbers on the forces applied to reduce the risk of failure, a good structural engineer will have software that will make this easy.

To give you a idea of the forces applied years ago I had a 150 flat back hexagon tank that had a similar brace, the silicone joint on the front let go and both the front and back panels bow more then 3/8"
Leave the center glass in place and remove the plastic trim on each side. They were installed for glass tops to sit in. The glass edges are polished. I have the same tank in a 180 gallon version. Oceanic made great tanks back in the day.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal Oceanic
tweetyfish is offline   Reply With Quote