Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2016, 04:33 PM   #1
CaptiveReef
LED FULL SPECTRUM REEFER

In your opinion the best LED Lighting for reef.

Ok I need to be updated on what the best LED Lighting for reef is today. I have a 120 gallon tank (the 48 inch long tank)
I want to use LED.

Thanks,

Current Tank Info: 120 Reef, DIY 5ft. protein skimmer, LED lighting.
CaptiveReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2016, 04:43 PM   #2
ksicard
Registered Member

radions, Kessil AP700, and Mitras are the top contenders IMO

ksicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2016, 05:37 PM   #3
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Orphek Atlantik V3+ by far above others, G4 Radions, Giesemann Vervve

Unread 10/15/2016, 06:24 PM   #4
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
Orphek Atlantik V3+ by far above others, G4 Radions, Giesemann Vervve
How long has th Orphek been out now?

madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2016, 06:41 PM   #5
Flippers4pups
Home made abyss

I just ordered the 165w marsaqua fixture three pack tonight after extensive research. It seems from what I've read that they do the job on many sps, lps reefs. Lack of a timer, wifi and ramping is not a concern to me. They can be hacked for apex control very cheaply, so down the road if they keep my corals happy, I'll hack them.

If a diode burns out, the rest of them stays on and replacing them is a breeze. Swapping out diodes for a different nm diode looks cheap and easy as well!

For $269 for three, can't be beat if they do the job.

Flippers4pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2016, 08:58 PM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Kessil is clearly the best; head and shoulders above any of the other options available now, or for the next 20 years.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2016, 10:25 PM   #7
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Kessil is clearly the best; head and shoulders above any of the other options available now, or for the next 20 years.
Their color blending is unmatched, but they need to fix the point source issue.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2016, 11:53 PM   #8
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

I considered Kessil, AI Hydras, Radion, but went with Reefbreeders and not only saved a lot of money but got a terrific light. Not as many "perks" as with an app controlled light, but great customer service and my corals have never looked better.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2016, 07:43 AM   #9
trueperc
Registered Member

Some of the nicest tanks lite by leds have mostly been Radions or AI. After owning kessil, for sure they have a great shimmer but the are weak as hell compared to the other ones and their blue end is lacking compared to the others. They are also one of the worst for dealing with shadowing. If you want control they also one of the ones that is far behind the others. That being said if you where to do a t5 and led combo, they might be one of the better options. The problem with best, is most will do a great job but the issue is coverage. The top led tanks are usually completely covered with fixtures. You usually need double what is recommend by the company. This is just my 2 cents.

trueperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2016, 10:21 AM   #10
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueperc View Post
Some of the nicest tanks lite by leds have mostly been Radions or AI. After owning kessil, for sure they have a great shimmer but the are weak as hell compared to the other ones and their blue end is lacking compared to the others. They are also one of the worst for dealing with shadowing. If you want control they also one of the ones that is far behind the others. That being said if you where to do a t5 and led combo, they might be one of the better options. The problem with best, is most will do a great job but the issue is coverage. The top led tanks are usually completely covered with fixtures. You usually need double what is recommend by the company. This is just my 2 cents.

Agreed. I have 6 kessil a360 over my 300g DD. They do a great job but I'm adding two 6ft floursecents....

To the OP, if you have the cash, I think Kessil is the best in terms of quality components and the LEDs are specifically designed for aquariums as opposed to the other manufacturers who use market LEDs (at least true a two years ago). But you would want double coverage for shadowing since the Kessil is a single point source.

I love my kessils and my corals have been growing like crazy over the last two years. But they just don't seem to produce growth like my old flourescent system or my old old metal halide.

Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2016, 10:51 AM   #11
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I have to say, almost all of the posts above make me laugh. This is the best, no this is the best, oh I think this is the best. Ha!

The truth is that from a MarsAqua at $90 to the top of the price ramp up... maybe a Radion at $750, they all grow coral very well. So in that regard, there is no "best" IMHO.

Now you have to decide about a bunch of different criteria like manual dimmers or digital dimmers or a fully blown sunrise/sunset controller? Is 2 channel control good enough (yes) or do you want full control of every color (I do)? How about other features like extra modes (sunny, cloudy, manual, thunderstorm) and how easy is it to set? Is having the 'shimmer' effect important to you? Is it Apex compatible and do I really care if it is? How about warranty? And of course, how much does it cost?

There is no one 'best' fixture. If you are on a tight budget, you get a Mars Aqua as it's the best for you. If you want the Mercedes of fixtures you get the Radion. Otherwise, it's a matter of what features you really want, which ones you don't care about and how much are you willing to pay for it?

Personally, I think the features and controllers are all about the look you want and have nothing to do with growing coral. I'm home all day (retired) so I happen to like having sunrise/sunset control. I don't like having bright red & green leds over my reef so I like full color control by channels. I don't like spending money I don't need to spend, so I value a good price. I got everything I wanted for a 5' long tank from Reef Breeders Photon V2 50" fixture for just over $600. Is that the 'best' led fixture... I seriously doubt it, but it's the best for my needs!

Last edited by Ron Reefman; 10/16/2016 at 10:57 AM.
Ron Reefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2016, 11:04 AM   #12
tonysi
Registered Member

The best led is one that grows coral... With that statement it means that 90% of the lights out there grow coral, it all really depends on what perks you want and how much you want to spend, I for one have evergrows over my tank. They were cheap but do the job very well.

tonysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2016, 11:35 AM   #13
Fredfish
Registered Member

Ron nailed it. LEDs are quite mainstream now and it's really a Chevy vs Ford decision. Just don't buy the Lada.

Unread 10/16/2016, 11:44 AM   #14
Flippers4pups
Home made abyss

I agree with you guys, people's experience, reviews and forums are a resource to making a educated decision on anything in this hobby. Then it comes down to needs and budget. Spending more on things I would rarely need or wouldn't care about is not in my budget. Your mileage may vary.

Flippers4pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2016, 03:00 PM   #15
danrobberg
Registered Member

The new Mitras from ghl would get my vote if I were looking to buy led's for my tank. The price point isn't that bad either for a high end unit. They have a pre sale going on right now. 2 of those over that tank should do quite well. The new wifi feature is the icing on the cake for me. Plus I like that they use reflectors instead of lenses. And their small picks spread out evenly though out the fixture I think is a major bonus for coverage.

danrobberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2016, 04:25 PM   #16
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Most LED grow coral, but shading and rainbow effect is the major problem with most, IMO.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
Unread 10/16/2016, 05:27 PM   #17
TheReefKeeper
Aquaholic

I went with Orpheks heard they are great sps growers and I like the app so best who knows back to what Ron said they are the best for me.
I've run a lights so I'll be able to weigh in 6 months from now when I have a better opinion of them.

TheReefKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2016, 06:29 PM   #18
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
I have to say, almost all of the posts above make me laugh. This is the best, no this is the best, oh I think this is the best!
Well, mine at least, was intended to - hopefully the excessive hyperbole was the clue. These 'best' threads make me laugh as well. What's best is entirely subjective. The most one can do really is to offer a list of alternatives from which each of us decides what works best given our requirements and feature priorities.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 10/16/2016, 07:31 PM   #19
madweazl
Registered Member

SBReef 16" basic boxes were used until one week ago (switched to Kessil so I could use my existing canopy). For the cost, I think the SBReefs performed admirably and hope the Kessils provide the same results.

madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2016, 07:55 PM   #20
786marco
Registered Member

Ghl

786marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2016, 08:15 PM   #21
Stacy Davis
Registered Member

My husband bought me a 240 gallon for my birthday and Mr. Aquarium suggested 2 Kessil LED A360w-E. if this is the only light I have will my tank be okay? I have a 150 gallon now with T5 lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stacy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2016, 08:24 PM   #22
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Davis View Post
My husband bought me a 240 gallon for my birthday and Mr. Aquarium suggested 2 Kessil LED A360w-E. if this is the only light I have will my tank be okay? I have a 150 gallon now with T5 lighting.

IMO, not enough light.

Unread 10/16/2016, 08:26 PM   #23
Yolly416
Registered Member

I been using Ocean Revive T247 leds they been Great

Yolly416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2016, 09:26 PM   #24
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Davis View Post

Depends on what kind of tank you plan. Assuming a standard dimension 240, you will need at least a 360 for each 2 feet of length.

Unread 10/16/2016, 10:40 PM   #25
Opus123
Registered Member

I really love my BML (buildmyled) lights. They look great and looking at the tank you would think I was running T5s. I really hated that they decided to move to horticulture only. I'm always checking the for sale sections hoping someone is getting rid of their setup. I also think the reefbrites are great led lights. If I was buying new today, I would seriously consider one of the reefbrite t5/led combo units.

Opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote