Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2017, 05:56 PM   #1
sunkim622
Registered Member

Replacing a female clownfish

I have 2 clownfish and was thinking about replacing the female with a designer clown because she is just a plain ocellaris. I can trade her in with the lfs or even keep the new one in a breeders box and transition the female out so my male wouldn't be alone for any time.

I was wondering if it would be better to get another large clownfish or try to find one that is smaller than the male. I just got the male last week and he is already fairly small so my options might be limited if I try to go for smaller than him.

sunkim622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 06:37 PM   #2
Kinetic
Registered Member

kind of shallow to replace her just because she is "plain"

The male could probably care less that he's alone.

Just get another clown and put them together, they might fight a bit but they'll probably ultimately become a pair.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 07:33 PM   #3
sunkim622
Registered Member

Haha well in my defense, she was the only Fish that cane with a new tank I bought 2 weeks ago lol. She doesn’t fight with my other clown but won’t let him into her anemone and he’s left hosting One head of hammer coral.

I heard that the transition to female process can happen pretty quickly so I just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t have 2 females if I added another large clownfish.

Unread 11/20/2017, 07:37 PM   #4
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkim622 View Post
Haha well in my defense, she was the only Fish that cane with a new tank I bought 2 weeks ago lol. She doesn’t fight with my other clown but won’t let him into her anemone and he’s left hosting One head of hammer coral.

I heard that the transition to female process can happen pretty quickly so I just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t have 2 females if I added another large clownfish.
Well, I think you mean the hierarchy is determined quickly, rather than they turn into a female quickly (that takes a lot longer).

Just take her out and get another one. Find her a good home.

Unread 11/20/2017, 08:40 PM   #5
Papermonkeys
Registered Member

Sound like mine. My little one found the nem first and had it to himself for a couple days even pushing the larger one out when she got close. But ultimately lost his rights eventually and is back to the hammer while be bigger one lays claim on the BTA ��

Papermonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 11:28 AM   #6
sunkim622
Registered Member

I read on a couple places that the process takes a while but it can begin pretty quickly if the male is left alone and once it starts it can't stop. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't know which would cause less fighting. Adding a larger clownfish or a smaller one.

Unread 11/21/2017, 02:54 PM   #7
Kinetic
Registered Member

Depends on the individual clownfish. Some are more docile than others, and some are more aggressive. As long as they're not the same size, you should be OK. The bigger the size difference, the better probably.

I'd get a breeder box and put the new one in the box for a few days to let the two clowns get to know one another first.

Unread 11/21/2017, 04:17 PM   #8
sunkim622
Registered Member

Yeah that's why I'm thinking about getting a bigger one. My male is an inch long at most and I haven't really seen one much smaller. I have a breeder box so I'll definitely try that out.

Unread 11/24/2017, 01:56 PM   #9
Shia
Registered Member

What I have seen work is removing the female clown, then getting one smaller than the current male. Also nothing wrong with replacing a fish, don't let anyone make you feel bad about that.

I have looked into getting 2 separate pairs, but went against it because everyone said it would be a disaster. I am planning on getting my current clowns a good home, then getting the pair I want.

Shia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clownfish