Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/13/2020, 08:10 AM   #1
FortyFour
Registered Member

Exclamation Help my wrasses in QT

Any help is appreciated. I need to figure this out ASAP.

I have had 3 wrasses in QT (solarensis, McCoskers, and yellow coris). My QT process is essentially Safety Stop dips, then observation and 2-3 rounds of prazi pro.

After the first round of prazi, the solarensis developed a swim bladder issue. Fed it manually for weeks and eventually did 2 additional round of prazi at 3/4 dose. The solarensis passed, and after I freshwater dipped postmortem, it had flukes (a lot). I’m also 90% sure I saw white stringy poop before it passed.

The other 2 wrasses are doing great. Had it not have been for the other wrasse, I probably would’ve added to the DT by now. But I need to treat those now.

Trying to find a path forward. Start feeding metro ASAP and then full doses of prazi? Freshwater dip to confirm flukes before prazi? Change prazi medication?

Thanks for any help. As much as I want the 2 QT wrasses to make it I don’t want them to take anything to the DT, even if they are looking very good.

FortyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2020, 04:35 PM   #2
FortyFour
Registered Member

Bump. Thanks.

Unread 08/13/2020, 10:30 PM   #3
FortyFour
Registered Member

Bump

Unread 08/14/2020, 04:57 PM   #4
TheAngelfish
Registered Member

I'm thinking maybe becuase you did a slightly weaker treatment of Prazi for your solarensis, you might have created like a super fluke that could withstand a full dose of prazi. But what you've planned out for your other two wrasse seems like it'd work fine. Hopefully it goes well!

TheAngelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2020, 10:15 AM   #5
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

Wrasses do not do well with Prazi. How long have you had them in QT? Have you read the stickie on the life cycle of flukes? Are the wrasses exhibiting symptoms of flukes? I would probably do a fw dip and maybe 1/2 dose of prazi with very well oxygenated water. Keep an eye on any odd behavior. If so get the prazi out of the tank.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon reef tank with 30 gal refugium
Newsmyrna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2020, 10:14 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2709502

What fishes don't tolerate what medicine.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2020, 01:14 PM   #7
FortyFour
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I did a freshwater dip on the remaining McCoskers and yellow coris.
Results were nothing like the deceased solarensis, which was covered. I saw maybe one fluke and some smaller things that I can’t identify. Looks like pods floating in the bag.

The McCoskers also recently came down with ich a few days ago. It’s been looking and behaving very normally for a few days so I’ve ruled out velvet and I’m preparing copper safe treatment and will likely also use general cure to address the fluke issue that seems to be lingering

Unread 08/18/2020, 01:50 PM   #8
FortyFour
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsmyrna80 View Post
Wrasses do not do well with Prazi. How long have you had them in QT? Have you read the stickie on the life cycle of flukes? Are the wrasses exhibiting symptoms of flukes? I would probably do a fw dip and maybe 1/2 dose of prazi with very well oxygenated water. Keep an eye on any odd behavior. If so get the prazi out of the tank.
Thanks for the note. Yes I’ve read it. I’ve had them in QT for over a month. The solarensis was battling with bladder issues and cut the first round of prazi short. After a week, I did 3/4 dose and another 8 days later. The solarensis died and was seriously infested with flukes.

The remaining wrasses did not show signs (more signs of ich actually now) but I did the dip to confirm given the shape of the dead solarensis. And here we are.

Unread 08/18/2020, 01:57 PM   #9
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

General Cure is excellent. I use it first. With ICH, I'd start lowering salinity to hypo salinity levels. No copper to worry about.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2020, 07:26 AM   #10
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyFour View Post
Thanks for the note. Yes I’ve read it. I’ve had them in QT for over a month. The solarensis was battling with bladder issues and cut the first round of prazi short. After a week, I did 3/4 dose and another 8 days later. The solarensis died and was seriously infested with flukes.

The remaining wrasses did not show signs (more signs of ich actually now) but I did the dip to confirm given the shape of the dead solarensis. And here we are.
Are they still exhibiting signs of ich?

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon reef tank with 30 gal refugium
Newsmyrna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2020, 07:19 AM   #11
FortyFour
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsmyrna80 View Post
Are they still exhibiting signs of ich?
The McCoskers that showed signs of ich started showing signs of what I think was a bacterial infection and died during kanaplex treatment and before I could treat with copper power. A yellow coris is the remaining survivor of the 3, as the original Solarensis died of what I think was a swim bladder disease coupled with flukes. The tank is now being treated with copper power and is having issues with a new cycle after I had to remove/replace media that would have absorbed copper at a fast rate. The yellow coris jumped during a water change, but luckily I was right there. It looked injured a couple days later but is looking ok at the moment.

This round of QT is kicking by butt.