Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2017, 07:02 PM   #76
SFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcropley View Post
Can't run a drinking kit because I have a auto flush system, it would fill the tank with tap water. I got a 3 way valve ant have it before the DI and works great for filling up pitchers and bottles.
What kind of auto flush system do you have? I was thinking of getting one myself.

SFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2017, 08:24 AM   #77
Dcropley
Registered Member

I have the factory auto flush that SpectraPure installed.

Dcropley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2017, 04:31 PM   #78
SFish
Registered Member

Oh ok

Thanks

SFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2017, 05:56 PM   #79
Dcropley
Registered Member

5 month update, Fish are great they have grown so much in 5 months. The dry rock is doing great, coloring up and gaining life. The tank is good equipment is doing its job. I haven't lost one of the 12 and there are no nipped fins or aggression at this point. I plan on adding some RBTA's soon maybe in a month or so. I have lost a few shrimp though. As for as the starboard goes it is good it cleans pretty easy but some times its hard to get off in tight spots. Over all no issues or complaints.
harem1.jpg

harem2.jpg

harem3.jpg

harem4.jpg

harem5.jpg

Unread 01/22/2017, 06:00 PM   #80
Dcropley
Registered Member

Unread 03/06/2017, 09:39 AM   #81
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
So small update, I ordered 2 spears gate valves for the drains so I could fine tune them, and what a difference is sound. Having one over flow submerged and only a trickle down the other makes this almost 100% quite. Was kind of a pain to redo the plumbing but I had to do it and glad I did. Have to say the valves were $50 each! Also my Ecotech Radion xr15w Pro came in last night, I need to get the hanging kit but I had to un-box it and turn it on. Crappy pictures but figured Id share. I have to say this is one of the brightest led's I have seen. Need to get the reef link to play with the spectrum and set the schedule.

Attachment 349194

Attachment 349195

Attachment 349196

Attachment 349197
I was just looking back at this thread and I wanted to ask you where you purchase the acrylic piece you are running your PVC pipes through. I'm looking for something similar.

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 08:49 AM   #82
Dcropley
Registered Member

I bought it from a guy on ebay called modularmarine. He has a website but it looks like its down. Look on his ebay page and send him a email about the dual sock holder. I see singles listed at the moment. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-FILTER-SOC...-/201546350158

Unread 03/13/2017, 07:26 AM   #83
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
I bought it from a guy on ebay called modularmarine. He has a website but it looks like its down. Look on his ebay page and send him a email about the dual sock holder. I see singles listed at the moment. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-FILTER-SOC...-/201546350158
Actually a single holder might work just fine for what I need. Thanks for the link. Two other questions - the BRS rock - which of their rock was this and did you treat it in any way before using it? Any phosphate leaching? Second, I love the Kessil fuge light. I run a Kessil as my main light on my current 40 gallon build. Its kind of pricey for a fuge light but do you think it is worth it? Considering one at the moment.

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Unread 03/16/2017, 08:20 AM   #84
Dcropley
Registered Member

I used the reef saver rock I love it and it will color up with life after a few months. I was able to go on ebay for the kessil was $80 used. I love it it grows the mangroves, cheato, and other algae very well. I wanted a light that would make algae want to grow in the fuge and not the display. As for phosphate I do not know as I have not tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choss View Post
Actually a single holder might work just fine for what I need. Thanks for the link. Two other questions - the BRS rock - which of their rock was this and did you treat it in any way before using it? Any phosphate leaching? Second, I love the Kessil fuge light. I run a Kessil as my main light on my current 40 gallon build. Its kind of pricey for a fuge light but do you think it is worth it? Considering one at the moment.

Unread 08/17/2017, 02:52 PM   #85
Kinetic
Registered Member

What a cool build! Following along!

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 06:47 AM   #86
Dcropley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
What a cool build! Following along!
Thanks, I took some time off on doing anything with the tank, was waiting for the tank to mature and stabilize before adding any more live stock. I will be ordering the BTA's any day now.

Unread 08/21/2017, 06:38 AM   #87
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, I took some time off on doing anything with the tank, was waiting for the tank to mature and stabilize before adding any more live stock. I will be ordering the BTA's any day now.
how about a new FTS?

Unread 09/07/2017, 07:07 AM   #88
Dcropley
Registered Member

Okay so the 7 BTA's are in and doing great, they are eating every 3 days with some raw shrimp chunks, getting 9 hours or light and good flow. I have finally tested my parameters and they are as follows:
Mag:1160
Ca:350
P04:0.06
Nitrate: undetectable with Red Sea kit.

I know I need to increase the Ca and Mag but don't have any of the supplies to do so yet. I am thinking of doing the Triton method but want to dead about it a bit more. I took some pictures but have not had to time to upload them off the camera. I have to say ever since I have lowered my nitrates and phosphates I have seen an explosion of coraline on everything!. I also have seen a decrease in aggression between the clowns now that the BTA's are in the tank. They were beaten pretty badly on 2 of the clowns and it was getting to the point where I had to remove them and let them rest in the sump to recover. But as of lately the aggression has dropped which is a good sign. I did lose one other clown looks like he was chased up on overflow and dried out, so I have 10 clowns at this point. It is interesting to see the progression of this tank. It has been just over a year with all the clowns and for the first year they were never aggressive and one day it turned into a daily battle. I think as the BTA's split and fill more of the tank there will be even lese aggression.

Unread 09/07/2017, 07:23 AM   #89
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Thanks for the update, though it lacks pics of the new BTAs!

If you want to increase Ca (and likely Alk), I'd highly recommend keeping it simple and adding kalkwasser powder to your top-off water. It'll keep your pH, calcium, and alkalinity more than supplemented (maybe start at 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon, which is about 50% of the maximum concentration you can get with kalkwasser I believe).

It's cheap, it's easy, and it's really helpful (though you will have to be careful to top off slowly if you're not using an Automatic Top Off already, as dumping a lot at once will spike your pH).

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2017, 10:34 AM   #90
choss
Registered Member

yes we need a FTS of the clowns and the nems

Unread 09/11/2017, 12:51 PM   #91
lieberca
Registered Member

Just noticed this build and really dig the scape and the mass o' clowns. Looks fantastic!

lieberca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 08:20 AM   #92
Dcropley
Registered Member

So another update, I am going to post some tank shots and I have to say I couldn't have been any happier with the Nems and the way they look but What it a tank journal without sharing your failures. I am not exactly sure what happend but the short story is I basically killed all the nems... I had a few really good months and everything was going well. There are a few things that I can think did them in. First I turned up the Radion too high too fast, Second I messed with the salinity too much. Third my Ph was too low. These are the only factors that I know changed. But I will move one and keep learning and try again at some point. I need to figure out how to get my ph and other levels stable and at the values need to support and grow life coral/nems I have failed at both. Needless to say the fish are great they have grown and get along better now than at the one year mark. I have 9 out of 12 and as I stated before I lost one due to jumping and the other two to bullying. The tank floor is almost 100% covered in coraline and there is not much starborat left to see, the photos posted were taken several months and don't show the growth though. The rock looks fantastic and you can't tell that it was ever reef saver rock. My fuge is doing great I have to take out the chaeto every sunday the Kessil is doings its job growing it. I did have my Tunze ATO pump did and I called Tunze and that had one out to me the next day no questions asked! Great customer service! I was able to get a free Vortech Mp10wqd for free from a buddy shutting down his biocube that he also gave me. I like the Vortech but I feel that my glass is just a little bit too thick for the 10 and I could be on there stronger but the flow and programs are great and it to does a great job. The bubble magus skimmer has not had one issue and I never have to fiddle with it. I think that is it for now.

Harem by devon cropley, on Flickr

Unread 02/01/2018, 09:58 PM   #93
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Cool looking tank! Nice to see some variety on a setup.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2018, 11:07 AM   #94
hbrochs
Registered Member

Nems

Hey, just popped by for an update, and the tank looks great!

Nems don't like salinity change and also like very low NO3, as close to zero as you can get it. Do you know what the Nitrates are running? With 10 or so clownfish its pretty easy to get the Nitrate up too high for the anemone's liking.

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine SR-80
hbrochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2018, 07:38 AM   #95
choss
Registered Member

tanks looks great. I have been using the Tunze Kalk dispenser attached to the Tunze Osmolator and since I've done that my PH stays around 8.2 and my ALK has been around 7.5. I found hooking this up to my 40 cube coincided with good growth from all my corals and general stability. I also run chaeto although I took it offline a while back.

To your point about salinity, my nem was doing great until it split one day. At the time I had no idea why it split. Moths later I realized my salinity was way off due to a faulty hydrometer. Since I have gotten it in line the news are both happy and growing. SO now I have two. Good luck

Unread 05/16/2018, 03:31 AM   #96
boccaccio
Registered Member

this tank looks very awesome sir.

boccaccio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
24x24x12, 34g, cube, waterfall