Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Dallas/Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society (DFWMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2017, 12:35 PM   #1
slimshadyjo1
Registered Member

Simple diy overflow cover

Over the past few weeks I have had problems with 1 of my small clownfish getting spooked/bullied by my mean damsel. When this happens, the clownfish tends to dart straight up to the top of the water jumping out of the water. I do have a hood on my tank so it can't get out of the tank onto the floor but it has landed in the over flow box a few times. When this happens it is very hard to fish him out of the back with all the pipes in the way and twice now he made it all the way down into the sump unscathed somehow. I had some extra eggcrate laying around from the sump build and hatched up a simple plan to cover the over flow. This is the end result and I just wanted to share here to in case anyone else is having this issue

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

slimshadyjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2017, 12:49 PM   #2
Smokey Stover
Registered Member

I made a flat top cover for my overflow also, But then realized that if a fish lands on top of it, It had better flop around and back into the water quickly or it's a crispy critter.
So I found a tupperware container in the kitchen and put it upside down between the cover and screen layer in my DIY canopy, Effectively making the returns walls go all the way up so there's no way to get in or on top.

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 12/31/2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spellin
Smokey Stover is offline   Reply With Quote