Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2006, 04:41 PM   #1
akabilly
Registered Member

Unhappy Stung by a long spine urchin

Trying move this little buger and he got me through my gloved a hand in the thumb. Any recommendations on how to treat it? Stings like a wasp but I assume I still have a chunk of the spine inside. The thing that sucks is I still haven't got him out...s o b!

36" Aquactinics T-5 HO
Neptune AquaController Jr
30 Gal Fuge in basement
Auto Top Off & UV
AquaEuro USA 135 Skimmer

Current Tank Info: 46 Gal Reef
akabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Freed
It's what it's

Get it out and if you can't go to the ER. If you can get it out, run your thumb under as hot of water as you can stand to neutralize the venom/toxin.

Current Tank Info: 180gal(1120 watts of MH/VHO light), 60gal "sump", Deltec 601 calcium reactor, Euro Reef CS8-3+ skimmer, 20 gallon QT
Freed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2006, 05:08 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

Freed's advice is spot on. I'd add: you may have to go to have the spine extracted---they'll shoot your finger full of lidocaine to kill the pain, go after the bit, and bandage you up, probably with a tetanus shot for good measure, and maybe some antibiotics, considering the tank water you were in and the bacteria that may adhere to the spine. The alternative, having the spine fragment fester in the wound, is still no guarantee you can get it out, because many such things have directional barbs that make extraction something for professionals...not to mention the fact that these spines have been poking about under the sand in regions of the tank with processes we'd rather not think about.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2006, 01:50 AM   #4
iamwhatiam52
Registered Member

NONSENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like many other divers, snorelers and beachcombers I have been stuck countless times by these urchins. The pain subsides quickly and the spines disolves in a week or two.

The spines are covered with tiny barbs that make it all but impossible to pull out, so just grin and bear it. Removing the spine will cause more damage than the spine will.

Current Tank Info: 180 mixed up reef started April 2005. 4 small tanks on same sump.
iamwhatiam52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2006, 05:15 AM   #5
JoeyK@OCMD
Registered Member

Iamwhatiam52 is right. What does not kill you makes you stronger. I have pieces of urchin still in my hands from 3 years ago. If you are a normal healthy human, your body will fight off any foriegn objects in your body. It does help to put your hand in hot running water. The venom from these urchans can be very toxic though in high quantities. I believe it attacks your nervous system, but the real danger would be getting into a bed of them while snorkling. Many novice snorklers swim out over shallow reef heads and don't realize how much the water surges up and down.

JoeyK@OCMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2006, 06:42 AM   #6
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
Like many other divers, snorelers and beachcombers I have been stuck countless times by these urchins. The pain subsides quickly and the spines disolves in a week or two.
Ditto

Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2006, 02:55 PM   #7
Mr. Guitar
Registered Member

I agree with iamwhatiam52 and JoeyK@OCMD. Don't worry 'bout it. It's not as bad gettin stung by a stingray. About 7 years ago my friend got stung by a sting ray near the shore of the bay. We were about 3 or 4 hours away from a hospital. We got back in our boat, went to where we rented it, and asked the owner what to do. He told us to put her foot in a bucket of luke warm water and salt.

So, I suggest puttin your hand in a small container with luke warm water and salt. That makes the pain go away.

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon Reef Tank, 9 fish, 25+ Corals, 30+ Inverts
Mr. Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2006, 03:06 PM   #8
akabilly
Registered Member

Well I'm glad to say I got most of the spine out with tweezers, the pain lasted @ 30 minutes or so. Similar to being stung by a hornet or wasp.

When I pulled my glove off it really freaked me out cause the venom in the spine is like a purple dye and it left a huge nasty looking purple splotch with the spine hanging out of my finger, it definately looked worse than it actually was.

The hot water really seemed to do the trick.

Thanks again for the replies.

Cheers!

36" Aquactinics T-5 HO
Neptune AquaController Jr
30 Gal Fuge in basement
Auto Top Off & UV
AquaEuro USA 135 Skimmer

Current Tank Info: 46 Gal Reef
akabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2006, 05:44 PM   #9
teena
Registered Member

do all urchins sting or just that kind? i just go two the other day 7 picked it up to put in another tank like i would a snail, i didnt know they stung,

Current Tank Info: 210 inwall w/soft corls
teena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2006, 07:26 PM   #10
Meisen
Premium Member

OK most of the advice above is pretty solid IME.....one caveat though, as with any kind of envenomation, you want to watch for signs of anaphlaxsis (shock symptoms, extreme swelling, persistant pain, nausea, rash/hives etc). I have been speared a few times here and there and the pain never lasted more than 20-30s so the 30' quoted would concern me a bit. As with other types of stings, I suspect can get sensitized to the venom as well. Probably not a bad idea to consult with a medical professional if the symptoms are severe or persistant.

Teena, There are a few species of urchins like the longspines that sting and some others actually have smaller, pincer-like spines close to the body that are extremely toxic ( ie the fire urchins). These have been implicated in human deaths (shock, as above but much worse like in sea wasps and box jellies) so I don't know why you would want one in your tank.

Some of the other common species still have barbed spines that will stick in like the longspines do (without the venom).

Current Tank Info: Tankless. Like your water heater.
Meisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2006, 07:49 PM   #11
teena
Registered Member

well i another post started about them eating all the purple off my LR, ive only had them a week or so, i didnt no a thing about them i just thought they would be something unusual in the tank

Current Tank Info: 210 inwall w/soft corls
teena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2006, 06:19 AM   #12
FLricordia
Moved On

Meat tenderizer will dissolve the spine.

FLricordia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2006, 04:25 PM   #13
chocolateblnt
Registered Member

just rub some 'tussin on it

chocolateblnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 04:35 PM   #14
JMorris271
Registered Member

I'm glad I found this post. Was directed here by Google. Saved me a trip to the ER.
I just got stung by a long spine urchin and yes. It does feel like a bad hornet sting.

Unread 06/25/2018, 11:12 PM   #15
pagojoe
Team RC Member

I stuck several spines all the way through my foot some years ago. It hurt. It ruined my snorkeling trip. There was no way to remove them, because they are so brittle. But, a day later it was just kind of sore, and for a month or two after that I could see the black dots where the spines were, but they dissolved or disappeared...with no long-term effects.

pagojoe is offline   Reply With Quote