Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/10/2018, 11:55 AM   #1
peekay
Registered Member

Tank question - weird overflow

I'm looking at a rimless 90g SunSun aquarium that has a single tower style overflow. I've never seen this type of overflow before. I've circled it in the picture. I'm not sure if I should stay away from this type of overflow as there doesn't seem to be a good backup should the overflow get clogged for whatever reason. Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.

PK

Attached Images
File Type: jpg toweroverflow.jpg (37.7 KB, 62 views)
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 04:14 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Looks like a normal single corner overflow setup.... Nothing really wrong with that...

Is the Picnic Basket still in Libertyville?. That was my favorite lunch spot when I worked there...
I grew up in Lake Zurich...

Unread 10/10/2018, 04:21 PM   #3
peekay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Looks like a normal single corner overflow setup.... Nothing really wrong with that...

Is the Picnic Basket still in Libertyville?. That was my favorite lunch spot when I worked there...
I grew up in Lake Zurich...
Yes! The picnic basket is still there. Had lunch there last month, it's expanded and still delicious. So, this overflow has the return built inside the tower. I've never seen this setup

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Unread 10/10/2018, 05:38 PM   #4
Jason9488
Registered Member

Yes, drain and return in the same spot. It's a standard design. I currently have it on my 90

Jason9488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 05:43 PM   #5
peekay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason9488 View Post
Yes, drain and return in the same spot. It's a standard design. I currently have it on my 90
Have you had any problems with it? I was leaning towards a Herbie setup but this tank is nearly perfect

Unread 10/10/2018, 05:50 PM   #6
Jason9488
Registered Member

I have not. I have had multiple 90 gallon tanks and a 125 that had an overflow in each corner, same design.

Jason9488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2018, 04:42 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

As stated its pretty common..
BUT.. Whats more important and something you want to check is how many holes are in that overflow..
Typically if there are just 2 holes (one for return/one for drain) then that type of drain system can't handle much flow before it starts to get noisy. It also lacks any "failsafe" in the event of it getting clogged. You can try setting up a durso setup on that but its still only a single drain.
Many people with that type of overflow decide to use both holes in there as the drain setup and just run the return up/over the back of the tank instead. Then you can run a Herbie drain setup there which can help some and give you a failsafe.

And if its got 3 holes in there.. Count yourself lucky and run a bean setup..

See here..
https://blog.marinedepot.com/educati...nimal-overflow

Unread 10/11/2018, 06:18 AM   #8
Rover88
Registered Member

I had a corner overflow like that with just two holes.

Rather then use it as my return, I plugged up the return hole in the overflow (The black plastic part, not the glass bottom) and instead made it into a herbie setup. I use one drain as a submerged one that is always running water through it, with a ball valve at the bottom to set the rate to be /just/ enough that only a trickle goes down the other pipe, which sets much higher. This way I have an empty pipe just in case something happens, and its quiet enough I don't hear it unless I'm right in front of it.

Of course that means you need a return still. I just plumbed it up beside the tank in PVC and have it going over the side! A loc-line finish with a nozzle to direct the flow.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2018, 09:54 AM   #9
peekay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover88 View Post
I had a corner overflow like that with just two holes.

Rather then use it as my return, I plugged up the return hole in the overflow (The black plastic part, not the glass bottom) and instead made it into a herbie setup. I use one drain as a submerged one that is always running water through it, with a ball valve at the bottom to set the rate to be /just/ enough that only a trickle goes down the other pipe, which sets much higher. This way I have an empty pipe just in case something happens, and its quiet enough I don't hear it unless I'm right in front of it.

Of course that means you need a return still. I just plumbed it up beside the tank in PVC and have it going over the side! A loc-line finish with a nozzle to direct the flow.
Thanks for the response guys. I think this particular model has only one hole and the return line is built into the plastic overflow "tower".