Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/28/2006, 11:46 PM   #251
melev
Moved On

Gonna come to MACNA next month? Or did you donate something to the raffle?

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2006, 04:53 AM   #252
mpdharley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zephrant
Weldon #40 is tough to use- I'd suggest that it is beyond the average person doing their first tank.

It's entirely possible to get a perfect looking joint, that has almost no strength at all to it due to a poor "bite" in to the acrylic.

I'd suggest #4 slowed down with some #5, using the above method. More room for error, and if you mess it up, you can tell.

Zeph
Zephrant -- Any issues with using Weldon 4 without mixing it with #5 for a display tank? That's what I'm doing for my 72 x 48 x 24 tank (3/4 inch acrylic). I haven't had any issues with getting it lined up and seated (so far anyway).

Thanks!

Mike

mpdharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2006, 10:06 AM   #253
WarrenG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zephrant

I still use standard sewing pins, but I intend to get some small piano wire some day.

Zeph
At a fishing store you can find stainless steel wire "leader".

WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2006, 12:34 AM   #254
Zephrant
Premium Member

Can't make MACNA this year- Family matters. Maybe in a year or two we can come down.

Mixing #4 and #5 is supposed to be fine. I've never used #5 though, just didn't have the need. My glue-up area is pretty cool, so I don't need to slow down the glue usually.

Thanks for the tip Warren- Sad fact, I still use pins though. They just work.

Zephrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2006, 08:14 PM   #255
mflamb
Registered Member

I've read this thread through twice and studied melevs reef preparing to build a sump for my 390 project. I plan to build a 60x26x27 with a 30x26 fuge, sort of a modified model H. I plan to use extruded acrylic and weld on #4. My question is should I use 3/8" or 1/2 " acrylic. The local plastics store will give me scraps for free to practice gluing with. I ordered acupuncture needles already.

Click on my red house to see my 390 and 300 build thread. Those are my last 2 tanks in Tampa. Now in Pasadena waiting to buy a house to set up my next tank....anemones and clowns...probably a 3x3 150 gallon.
mflamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2006, 12:12 AM   #256
melev
Moved On

I made my sump with 3/8" and it is 60 x 30 x 16. Why are you making it so tall? If you really go that tall, you might need 1/2" thick to retain the shape and avoid bulging.

Unread 09/03/2006, 02:12 PM   #257
mflamb
Registered Member

Part of the sump plan is a section for RO/DI top off water, so the height allows me more total water volume and more ro/di water. Is that a bad idea. I'm open for any help.

Click on my red house to see my 390 and 300 build thread. Those are my last 2 tanks in Tampa. Now in Pasadena waiting to buy a house to set up my next tank....anemones and clowns...probably a 3x3 150 gallon.
Unread 09/03/2006, 02:29 PM   #258
mflamb
Registered Member

I guess I could make is shorter and then put a RO/DI top off tank on a rack above the sump. My stand has at least 37" of inside height. Then I could use 3/8" on all of it.

Unread 09/03/2006, 03:30 PM   #259
melev
Moved On

You can make a separate section or tower just for top off water near your sump, and build the sump 16" tall.

I do not recommend hooking up your RO/DI directly to your system. There is too much risk to your livestock in my humble opinion.

Unread 09/04/2006, 05:56 PM   #260
mflamb
Registered Member

Oh I agree about the RO/DI. It will fill a 60 gallon barrell in the garage, where I will also have another 60 gallon mixing barrell. A pump will be used to transfer ro/di water to a holding tank in the stand where a dosing pump will handle topoff. The salt mixing barrell will supply water for changes. THANK YOU for taking time to help me with my setup. Why 16"? Is there something about that height that I'm not aware of, or is this something experience has taught you?

Unread 09/04/2006, 10:26 PM   #261
melev
Moved On

Most stands are about 30" tall (from the floor to the base of the tank), maybe a bit more tall. If the sump is 16" tall, you have room to get the skimmer in and out as needed, and you have the ability to reach in and clean the sump. The taller they are, the less attention they receive due to the 'hassle-factor'. If you need a taller sump just to hold extra water volume and have the ability to do what you need, go for it.

The sumps I build and set up have a water line at 9" (skimmer and return) and 12" (refugium). The rest of the sump is empty enough to hold all extra water that may drain down. If the sump was 26 or 27" tall, it would just be taller and essentially unnecessary.

Unread 09/05/2006, 04:05 PM   #262
mflamb
Registered Member

Makes perfect sense. My stand is 40". It's in my billiards room where all the chairs are tall barstools, so viewing height is higher than normal. I figured with the extra room I would add height to the sump. The skimmer is external. I think I will reduce the length and add a taller box at one end for the top off water. Thanks again for the continued guidance. I will start a thread soon in the LARGE section and try to finalize my plumbing/sump/pumps setup.

Unread 09/05/2006, 08:02 PM   #263
melev
Moved On

Feel free to send me a PM to your new thread when you have time, and I'll tag along. Using a resevoir with a taller container is fine, but you've got to do one thing to avoid creating a siphon and I'll be happy to explain it to you.

Unread 09/06/2006, 02:36 PM   #264
swedge
Premium Member

Couple of questions:

1) Is there a rule of thumb in regards to which corners should be inside vs. outside. (i.e. Small length attached on the inside edge of the longer panes or longer side attached on the inside edge of a shorter pane) Does that make sense?

2) I still have a hard time believing it's easier to glue all 4 sides and then attach the top/bottom. Do you just make sure that the edges are flush when attaching all the sides ? And/Or do you re-router them to level everything before attaching bottom and top?

3) I have Weld-On 3 and 16. Should this be good, or should I try to get some Weld-On 4 to first work with? I didn't see any at the TAP plastics site though, unles it's under a different label.

BTW Great thread I have learned so much. I'm still a couple weeks away from making a modified version of Melev's Sump Model M

Current Tank Info: Now Defunct: 70 gal Reef 4/30/04, 29 gal Sump/Refuge, CPR SR-4 Skimmer, 4x65W PC, Maxijet 1200 PH, Aquaclear 500 HOB Filter, 90lbs Tonga Kaelini, 20lbs Tonga Branch. 65gal Hex Reef tank in the process of converting to Equus tank.
swedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2006, 02:41 PM   #265
melev
Moved On

I used to glue them on the bottom piece first, but it was recommended to glue the walls and baffles first, then attach the bottom and later the top. It works.

I make it a point to align all the bottom edges perfectly, and if any are a fraction too tall, it will be at the top where it doesn't matter nearly as much. We want it to hold water and not leak, after all.

For me, I prefer to have a clean front panel, so I glue the ends and baffles between the front and back pieces.

The Model M is a good sump for small tanks and small stands. Be sure to use a small return pump, as too much flow will flood the tank with microbubbles.

Unread 09/06/2006, 02:48 PM   #266
swedge
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
The Model M is a good sump for small tanks and small stands. Be sure to use a small return pump, as too much flow will flood the tank with microbubbles.
Thanks for the quick reply.

This Sump will go under a corner stand I'm currently building for my 55 gal hex tank. I'm planning to modify it to 26x18x18. (The height is still undecided though, might go with the 16 as you did)

I'm planning a sea horse tank in there so it won't need high flow anyway.

Current Tank Info: Now Defunct: 70 gal Reef 4/30/04, 29 gal Sump/Refuge, CPR SR-4 Skimmer, 4x65W PC, Maxijet 1200 PH, Aquaclear 500 HOB Filter, 90lbs Tonga Kaelini, 20lbs Tonga Branch. 65gal Hex Reef tank in the process of converting to Equus tank.
swedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2006, 02:53 PM   #267
melev
Moved On

Perfect.

Unread 09/06/2006, 05:23 PM   #268
mflamb
Registered Member

Marc, Thanks again. I'll send you the thread when I start. My tank gets here on 9/30. I'm going to start building the sump on 9/16. Hopefully I can do it in a weekend. I practiced gluing some 3/8" scraps yesterday with #4. I feel good enough to try it for real. Another aquarist that I work with will be involved in the project. I bought a 4'x8'x1" MDF and cut it down to 3'x6' to use as a gluing table on top of a large coffee table in my living room. (My wife is very pro aquarium!!!) So wish me luck. I'll report back with pics if I'm successful.

Unread 09/06/2006, 05:39 PM   #269
melev
Moved On

Luck!

Unread 09/25/2006, 07:29 PM   #270
highquality
Registered Member

Well Ive read up to this point and feel lonesome seeing no post since 9/6 . well any way, I can only get weldon#3 as ive been told #4 cant be shipped. will it be too fast? Ive only done smaller things like overflows and such. this is for an holding tank , but not a show tank. Any other # weldon recomended besides #4?

Current Tank Info: One of my tanks is a 50 gallon Mini Reef - 250 wt 20k on a PFO mag. ballast - a 250 wt krystal star 11k on a dynamic E-ballast - ASM G2 1/2 skimmer -TLF phosban reactor with 1 1/2 carbon in it -
highquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 10:30 PM   #271
NorthernCF
Premium Member

Weldon 4

I just ordered weldon 4 from ridout Plastics.

http://rplastics.com/

NorthernCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 10:32 PM   #272
NorthernCF
Premium Member

PS I just met Melev IRL, at MACNA. I am now thinking working with acrylics is too dangerous. Let me describe Melev to you:

Robin Williams in his big cocaine days.... only with more energy!!!!!

hehe!

Last edited by NorthernCF; 09/25/2006 at 10:56 PM.
NorthernCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2006, 10:48 AM   #273
Runner
Registered Member

I've been follwing this thread for a while and even made my own internal overflow box from acrylic. I am facing another job, though (damaged skimmer) and would like your advice on that. Please see this thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=937807

Thanks!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Current Tank Info: 24G Reef cube with Cree LED DIY Retrofit
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2006, 04:34 PM   #274
highquality
Registered Member

thanks northern for the tip on the weldon

Current Tank Info: One of my tanks is a 50 gallon Mini Reef - 250 wt 20k on a PFO mag. ballast - a 250 wt krystal star 11k on a dynamic E-ballast - ASM G2 1/2 skimmer -TLF phosban reactor with 1 1/2 carbon in it -
Unread 09/26/2006, 05:07 PM   #275
highquality
Registered Member

I just ordered from there too. I wonder why TAP says they cant ship #4 at all? I noticed a 28 gauge wire at ace hardware, is that a good size wire?