Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/07/2018, 10:41 PM   #76
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
We all need our quiet space I know what you mean! Always getting bombarded with problems that need of solving; sometimes it’s nice to just clean the glass and watch the polyp extension
Ps my tuxedo urchins have been model citizens.
Pss. I am worried about your plans for carbon dosing + framing pods + feeding phyto... seems like a recipe for throwing the water chemistry off balance. If you want to start fresh, then start fresh. Why re-cook established mature rock?
Cheers!
I know what you are saying
(What I will do for next tank, and in meantime.....It an On Going Internal Debate I am having within my head)
Wish someone (who knows based on experience) just HELPED ME and TOLD ME Exactly what to do (beside start 100% fresh).

however the goal is not to keep this tank stable to move into the NEW TANK. (but stable enough to keep the fish there since I don't want to move them into some other separate system)
IF I COULD REMOVE FISH from the Equation it would be a no brainer. (TANK TOTAL DARKNESS, no feeding fish, pods, DO NOTHING till new tank arrives)

The goal is to kind of sterilize these rocks (but not like dumping in fresh water, or muratic acid). Kind bake (low light, possibly total Darkness briefly) and overload the system with good bacteria and life (copepods), but eliminate any bad bacteria/algae.

Didn't You tell me Copepod are good for DINO if I have any?
Sure Maybe the Vinegar should come later since it fuels all bacteria.
But I have some ZeoVit CyanoClean Bacteria which out competes CYANO (so that and Vinegar will fuel the good bacteria).

I did this for my other Kitchen tank and it had not negative impact. Actually ended years problems.

I am pretty certain that I won't use any of the OLD TANK water when I start the NEW 110G tank.

This water will be 100% removed, while the rocks and sump media will retain life/bacteria when I put in 100% new water (briefly dried during drain).

And just before I start the new Tank I will fully dip each rock to cleanse it of any possible pests (like the over abundance of Brittle Stars which are totally out of control). A few were fine, but everywhere I look I see their tentacles.

(We discussed this, that it may be too drastic).....
But THIS IS BETTER THAN STARTING THE NEW TANK with TOTALLY NEW EVERYTHING.

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/07/2018 at 11:03 PM.
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 10:45 PM   #77
Wally.B
Registered Member

Found an OLD T5 Ballast (May be useful) for a Trial Period on NEW TANK

Years ago when before I converted my Kitchen Tank to a DIMMABLE T5 Pair, I was running all 4 t5's on this WORKHORSE 7 (Still one of the best out there)

I just found it, and looked up the specs.

It will run 4x(39W 3ft T5HO), and also 3 or 4x (54W ft T5H0).

This means I can start-up NEW tank with this ballast (with a few endcaps and reflectors)
Plus the 2 Ballasts on the Frag Tank could bring up the Lighting to 5-8 T5HO Tubes.

Buys me time to research LED.

SPEAKING ABOUT LED. My KESSIL A360WE over My Kitchen Tank Malfunctioned. (Few days ago). I have 4 T5's running so fine for short term.
Flickers like crazy. BAD TIMING for needing new Light there.
But I think it's just the Power Supply since If I turn it off and give it a rest, Light work for about 1 minute.
You can get a replacement Power Supply for about $50.
I contacted Kessil for support. (outside of Warranty)
BUT THE POINT IS LED isn't forever, and not sure if always reliable like all things.

WHAT IS IMPORTANT when you spend TON on LED is (Replaceable parts, access to local service, and a company that will stand by it's product, and BE AROUND 5-10 Years from Now)

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/07/2018 at 10:58 PM.
Unread 01/08/2018, 12:58 AM   #78
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shih87 View Post
Wow!!! Lots of progress here since last visit on your thread.
I really admire your passion and work, and hope you don't mind that I may take one or two ideas from you for my new plan.
What ideas? I haven't even started building (it all tear apart so far).
Your tank setup is amazing and not many in home tanks in the World like yours (I love your automation). But I will admit (I tried all that dosing stuff, and will really try hard to do basic/natural this time).
It will be hard, but best not to buy any stuff till I at least achieve a year of (minimal deaths STN/RTN, some growth, some color).

Hey, you got plans to do something more. Wonder what that could be?
Big secret new Tank, or just some improvement to the wonder you already have?

Unread 01/08/2018, 06:47 AM   #79
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
I know what you are saying
(What I will do for next tank, and in meantime.....It an On Going Internal Debate I am having within my head)
Wish someone (who knows based on experience) just HELPED ME and TOLD ME Exactly what to do (beside start 100% fresh)....
while i don't claim to have a lot of experience, here are some things to consider:

Do you have any awful hitchhikes / pests in the sps tank right now?
yes -> consider starting over; No -> keep rocks as is
From what i see, you have nothing bad or unmanageable in the old sps tank. i think you tracked down your sps growth issues to contaminated water from the leak. The cyano is not something that i would chuck the rocks for. Your tank was full of live when we looked at the scope, and i think you should preserve this biodiversity.

now, if you suspect that you had some pests that where damaging your sps ? (AEFW? red bugs), then removing he sps from the rock and treating it in the frag tang is a good idea, then just keep the old tank SPS free for a few month to kill off any remaining eggs / resting stages. But i don't remember that being a concern for your sps problems.

What i would do is simply keep the rock with the fish and keep things consistent in terms of how you feed / nutrient export. adding more CUC may help clean things up. But i don't think you should mess around with carbon dosing at this point; it will certainly change your tank into a bacterial dominant system and that may lead to some in shifts in nutrients and consequently biodiversity in your tank.
cheers!

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 08:03 AM   #80
shred5
Registered Member

Can you move the fish to frag tank.. I have done that before, they were happy there.

Unread 01/08/2018, 10:07 AM   #81
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
Can you move the fish to frag tank.. I have done that before, they were happy there.
I could but frag tank is simple now.
And how would the mandarin survive in a sterile frag tank? I guess i could dump mylive copepods in there but it is risky.

Frag tank has No sump, no skimmer like last time.
I could hook both up but not enough water, not cycled, and last time it became a mess quite quickly.
I think I want to leave frag tank as is and fool around with the sps there.

I will stop the vinegar dosing in old DT and just let the tank ride with low lighting and high nutrient export.

I don't see any AEFW or other pests as Tenurepro mentions to look for, but will watch closely.

Unread 01/08/2018, 12:24 PM   #82
Wally.B
Registered Member

MIRACLE TANK (UPDATE) Tank All Assembled (Silcone curing)

I got a call from Miracle today. The tank is all put together so no change to overflow offset possible. Perfectly fine. I'll make wall adjustments.

Silicone now cures for two weeks, then they trim off the extra silicone and I can pick it up.

The Euro TOP is on with no holes, so I'll be dropping by with my SeaSwirl to plan out some holes (which they can drill while on tank).

I start the stand after I visit my Baby and see what it she looks like (size and all).

Unread 01/08/2018, 03:32 PM   #83
Wally.B
Registered Member

FRAG TANK (OLD DT Frags) All Mounted (Let's Experiment and see what Happens)

Not in the best of shape, so nothing to loose.

Going to do what I will do in Future NEW DT.

No additives, just good TM Salt Water.

Not sure what I'll do for ALK/CALC when levels drop (future Decision), most likely KALK into TOP UP Water (since no Fresh Air Line to keep PH up)

Nutrients??? Maybe once a week Reef Roids (Later, not quite yet).

Unread 01/08/2018, 03:45 PM   #84
Rakie
In Memoriam

Looks good! Make sure to test that Tropic Marin salt. It's one of the first salts I had massive QC issues with -- My second bucket was 5.4 dkh, the first was fine at like 7.6 dkh

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 04:53 PM   #85
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Looks good! Make sure to test that Tropic Marin salt. It's one of the first salts I had massive QC issues with -- My second bucket was 5.4 dkh, the first was fine at like 7.6 dkh
Wow 5.4. That's unheard of. You sure your test kit was good. (I'd expect a refund for 5.4).
Aquarforest mailed me a replacement bucket (free) when they labeled one of the Salt Bucket (ReefSalt Quality) when it was (Sea Salt Quality).
I got to keep the old bucket and used it for Salt Water Rinse. Even for this Tank move.

This is my 3rd Bucket of Tropic Marin Pro. I agree there are variances. First was ALK=7.0, 2nd 8.4, but I got lucky with this one 7.7.

BTW.

I finished the CyanoClean Treatment Last night, and did the 20% WC.
Then added the ChemiPure Pack and some Carbon.

Skimmer died down almost right away.

The ROCKS look pretty good. No more Cyano. Only Algae is on the Gyre (so snails and Emeralds are doing good work.

With 99.9% of Corals Stripped out, I'll let coralline cover them for the new tank.
That moni stays for fun since encrusted around the rock.

But on the Far Right Rock, Bottom are two Button Polyps (that made their way from my other Tank).
THOSE Have got to go, even it I have to crack that Rock in half.
THEY ARE WEEDS, and the NEW TANK will be SPS (maybe a few LPS) only.

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/08/2018 at 05:33 PM.
Unread 01/08/2018, 06:23 PM   #86
Rakie
In Memoriam

Yep. It's the TMP (pro) which is what was notorious for having fluctuating Alk. I've had AF, TMP, and TM Bio Whatever all come with big variety in alk.

Aside from Fritz, I've had no problem with red sea, or IO.

Unread 01/08/2018, 07:12 PM   #87
Wally.B
Registered Member

DISTRACTION Till Tomorrow's Tank Visit (LED DIFUSER EXPERIMENT)

Tomorrow I measure tank, so all work on HOLD.

But I've been thinking about Future Lighting.
Maybe getting reflectors to run that T5 Ballast. I like the Frag Tank T5 Look.

Then there was the Orphek. Nice but more research needed.

Then I looked at my DIY Panel LED which is similar to Orphek Panel. I can change LED's to whatever I want. The Current Driver will drive any LED.

BUT MY DIY PANEL (Has all LED's packed close) so the DISCO BALL/Shimmer EFFECT is quite Annoying (to me).

SO I TRIED my Acrylic DISFUSER (which is Clear Acrylic, then you wet cloth with Resign Bonding liquid, and it goes cloudy with a light rub).

Here is the Diffuser EFFECT. Slice of Acrylic Cut and slid into the Heat Sink Housing.

Instantly the DISCO EFFECT is Reduced.

BUT WHAT I LEARNED is the FARTHER THE DIFUSER IS from the LED's the more smooth the LED Lights Blend.

At 8" is looks BETTER Than my T5's over FRAG TANK.

I didn't even try my Optics yet, but they tighten the light, so opposite of what you want. (But no harm trying 70 Degree, my widest optic LED lenses )

Interesting. Eh?

(What that means is you want T5 or better Light Look from LEDs. PUT a Large Difuser over the top of your tank covering it all. (Have enough Power to overcome PAR reduction)

Equivalent to E5 Tubes, but I don't see them around anymore.

Or in my possible case. Since I have my light behind wall so EyeSores are ok. (I can build a DIY LED Light VERY DEEP and then Put Diffuser 12" below) and Difuser 12" above Tank like a normal Light.
Crazy idea, but I'll try it.

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/08/2018 at 07:20 PM.
Unread 01/08/2018, 09:47 PM   #88
Wally.B
Registered Member

My "Larger" DIY LED PANEL & (Acrylic Diffuser) on FRAG Tank (with 2x T5 Blue Plus)

Had that 2nd Piece of Difuser Left, so Tried it on the FRAG TANK.

Hard to Tell in a Photo, but Corals Have Better Colour/Pop.

I ALSO ADDED some LIGHT BLOCKERS since I See Spots from too my Light in my Eyes.

I'm done with my Wait and See Setups.

BACK TO BUILDING THE NEW TANK Things.

Unread 01/08/2018, 10:45 PM   #89
Wally.B
Registered Member

SOME "rough" Number Crunching $US (on Lighting Future Options) NEW TANK

This thread was suppose to end, but I got off tangent for Good Reasons.....

AFter fooling around with the DT and FRAG Tank, LED with Possible Limited T5 Compliment appears attractive.

Exactly what I have for my Kitchen Tank setup (and I like it a lot)

--> I can't see myself going back to MH/T5.
--> T5 only Bulb Costs and Constant Replacement (I HATE)

--> ELECTRICITY Prices keep skyrocketing and that won't change.

As Luke or Yoda would say....Time to move away from the DARK Side of the FORCE.

The question becomes what LED, and with the Difuser, I have some ideas.

One more post (the Picture of the Built tank at Miracle Factory) and this thread is done.

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/08/2018 at 10:57 PM.
Unread 01/08/2018, 10:59 PM   #90
Rakie
In Memoriam

I have a lot of complaints about my new G4 -- I also will tell anybody it's the closest thing in this hobby there is to a definitive lighting answer.

I'm seeing it not only create better colors in some corals, but I'm watching as my corals are growing more dense in only a few weeks. More arms and denser growth.

Getting the diffuser will be a total game changer.

Unread 01/08/2018, 11:15 PM   #91
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a lot of complaints about my new G4 -- I also will tell anybody it's the closest thing in this hobby there is to a definitive lighting answer.

I'm seeing it not only create better colors in some corals, but I'm watching as my corals are growing more dense in only a few weeks. More arms and denser growth.

Getting the diffuser will be a total game changer.
Interesting. I thought the Diffusers for only for G3 since the G4's already have the Protruding lense (which makes good spread....I've seen the look and spread is very nice). But for me the Protruding lense (and light coming out was kind of an eyesore). If it were not for the better spread, I kind of like the G3. With Difuser either might be a good option.

My Kitchen Tank Kessil A360WE failing last week and Kessil Support (today) was balking at replacement after warranty (just 3 years) will be a Kessil Killer for me. The Support agent asked me to vacuum the light, take it apart and sent photos. Then she commented it was too dusty inside (I know what dust fans pull and my Kessil was sparkling clean for dust built up). I proved it wasn't dust since light turns on and just flickers. Now they are saying it's early shorting symptom (which I personally think it's a manufacturing defect). I love my kessil, but getting only 3 years out of it for $600 investment will kill any possibility to buying a few for new tank.

I watched the BRS video on the Orphek V4. BRS sometime overate things, but they do good testing (the type I can't).
I've also been in contact with Orphek Sales.
It's appears to be an impressive light. SOLID BUILD .Lots of Power to even blast thru a DIY Difuser (if I can't handle the bit of shimmer it produces)
I like that Fans are on Top, and pull air thru sides.
LED Spectrum tuned to SPS/LPS perfection..... (Price not as snobby as Radions)
What make is special for my setup is my 46" tank vs a Standard 48". And my 3" 4" Euro Trim top. (Tomorrow I'll be measuring my tank to see what a Orphek will look like on top)
Still not 100% convinced, but it may be on my top two choices.

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/08/2018 at 11:31 PM.
Unread 01/09/2018, 02:21 AM   #92
Rakie
In Memoriam

Yeah the diffusers fit all radions. At first everyone was assuming it was only for the G4. It makes a giant impact on the G4, I could only imagine it's more evident on the G3's.

Unread 01/09/2018, 03:15 PM   #93
Wally.B
Registered Member

Orphek Atlantic V4 Review (Small Detour today)

So I was going to visit my Aquarium today at Miracle Factory, but I got a call from Red Fong at Coral Reef Shop. He said he had a Orphek Atlantic V4 that I could trial for a week.

That stunned me since it's better than reading all these reviews before making a decision.

So I dropped by his store 45min drive and picked it up.

Red's a really nice guy and has a store with lots of nice SPS/Corals/Dry good (never been there before but will go back for some Quality SPS for new tank)

Just got home. I have the Orphek for one week (Deposit left).
If I like it... I can keep it after payment. What could be better.

I'm going to do a full Test/Review myself
(But I'll know in a few seconds if I like it when it lights up (Shimmer, DiscoBall, colors, etc) )

-> Will test on my 90 G 4 Foot LPS tank (Kessil is broken)
-> Will test on my old 65 Gallon (with the Rocks)
-> Will test on the Frag tank

And compared to MH, T5, my DIY Difused LED Panelm, Even the Kessil (since it sometimes turns on Briefly).

Maybe even trial it with Tenurepro to compare his Difused Radion for the ultimate compare of Lighting look.

I got a week so better get started with the UNOPENING and setups.

Unread 01/09/2018, 03:53 PM   #94
Wally.B
Registered Member

Kithchen Tank Comparison (4x T5's Only).

I been neglecting everything with the Build, so just cleaned the kitchen tank Front Glass to allow tank to clear up for one of the tests. (probably the best test to see coral colors).

Kessil is broken (and Kessil just replied with an offer) more on that.

Photo about is 4x T5's all on Full including 2 dimmables (Forgot the ATI bulb Mix).

More coming soon once I spark up the Orphek.

Unread 01/09/2018, 08:53 PM   #95
Wally.B
Registered Member

GOOD NEWS and BAD NEWS (Kessil and Orphek Trial over KT)

The kind of good news (I hope) started out as bad news, since Kessil came back with a OUT OF WARRANTY offer on the light fix. A replacement for a price I didn't think was fair.

So when I gave up on the Kessil, and with nothing to risk took it apart again.
I power blasted out all dust with one of the Camera Air Duster Cans.
Then I sprayed all the electronic with Electronic Cleaner. Paper Towel dried and put light back together.
It turned on briefly then powered off. Then turned on for 2 mins, and on. Then turned on and has been running for over an hour at Full Power (I used to run only at 40%).
I figured the Contact Cleaner needed to dry out more, so light kicked in after fully dry. Heat from light helped. So Kessil may be fixed.
Lesson learned. Vaccum your lighting fans since dust can build up, but dust isn't that bad in general to a certain degree. Dust with misty salt could end up causing shorts.
Still not 100% sure it will work for good, but things are on my side.

THE BAD NEWS is about doing Orphek Trial over my Coral Loaded Tank.
I thought removing Canopy would be a little bit of work but not what I expected.
When I built in all the T5's and other wiring, plumbing into canopy I did a real good job of securing wires/pipes, etc.
It will be a major job to remove the canopy. Might not be worth it right away. Only if light passed other tests for possible "buy the light".
So kind of bad news on that Trial.
I'll have to do my trial on the old 65 Gallon tank of rocks, fish and one Monti.
And the Frag tank.
It will still give me an good idea of how lighting looks.

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/09/2018 at 09:08 PM.
Unread 01/09/2018, 10:17 PM   #96
Rakie
In Memoriam

Not knowing the size of your kitchen tank -- Would it not be possible to use the Orphek on that tank for the trial?

Unread 01/09/2018, 10:26 PM   #97
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Not knowing the size of your kitchen tank -- Would it not be possible to use the Orphek on that tank for the trial?
The Kitchen Tank is 4ft (48")x18deep so Ideal test since new tank will be 46" but 24" deep.

But the point I was making, kitchen tank canopy will be hard to remove (in a flash). So won't be first test.

I've already taken photo's and movies of the 65 Gallon 3ft tank (with rocks).

About to open the Orphek Box since obviously I have to see it (running) ASAP, just in case I want to test more things (including the effort to test on kitchen Tank (remove canopy), with the Whack of LPS colors to compare).

So Yes, testing on Kitchen tank will be the ultimate test.
Unless, I put Orphek on Rock tank, and I hate the Shimmer or DiscoBall effect (and just put back in box, Happy I never bought one).

I'll never know till I try it RISK FREE. Really happy I can try the loaner.

Right now from all the trials runs (no Orphek). I have to admit the 250W MH looked the best so far (With my EYEs, and that's most important to me).

Unread 01/09/2018, 10:47 PM   #98
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
I have to admit the 250W MH looked the best so far (With my EYEs, and that's most important to me).
That's the most important part.

Why not keep the MH, and use your DIY led's to make an LED strip light made of Blues/UV/Whites to bring out some additional pop? That might be exactly what you're looking for.

Last edited by Rakie; 01/09/2018 at 11:38 PM.
Unread 01/09/2018, 11:47 PM   #99
Wally.B
Registered Member

Orphek Atlantic V4 Review - [ The Fixture & Lenses] Unboxing

Wow.

The Fixture does look nice. Impressive. SOLID.

The photos I've seen don't give you a feeling for the size of fixture. Always look small to me.

So that roll of Packing Tape and pliers gives you and idea on size.
(Tape Roll is closer so looks bigger, I should have put roll on top).

The Lenses over each LED Matrix are like Mini Kessil lenses. Nothing like I ever seen before in a fixture (but I haven't seen a Hydra52, or anything other than a Radion)

This will be interesting.

Unread 01/10/2018, 12:04 AM   #100
Wally.B
Registered Member

OUCH!! (Where are my Sunglasses)

I see spots everywhere Or are those disco balls in my head after looking away.

Just turned on a few seconds to take the Photo (Camera Aperture/Speed needed to be reduce WAY DOWN).

Never looked directly at light.
Gotta be careful there are UV LED's in there.