User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2018, 04:44 PM   #176
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Looking great, keep it up! I'm surprised it's not wet yet
Patience, patience Rakie.
You know I'd love to rush, but not this time. This for next 15 years.
But if you want Water. See next post.

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 04:50 PM   #177
Wally.B
Registered Member

Tank With Water (Backing / Reflection ) Analysis

When I designed the sump room last time, there was a reason for the back wall blue. (It allow me to have blue tank backing without painting or putting a backing on).

But with Tank HIGHER, and New SIDE VIEW, things need to be changed.

So I filled tank with some water to analyze reflections and view thru tank.

FOR THE FRONT VIEW (The Drywall STUD and Hollow Cavity will be exposed)

*SIMPLE FIX* (Put a cover on the DRYWALL Cavity and paint is a slight brighter blue for Blending)

For SIDE VIEW there is a reflection off LEFT TANK Glass. Of course that side will also have Overflow and possibly black film.

* A Small Fix will be to extend the BLUE WALL a bit **

TOP of Tank will be higher (so that White Strip for OLD Tank setup will have to be raised, or painted blue)

It will never be perfect as a TANK Backing (but worked great for old Tank if your never looked really close)

Unread 01/21/2018, 07:12 PM   #178
Wally.B
Registered Member

Project GENESIS (Phase 1) SUMP-ROOM Un-build/Deconstruct (Complete)

Today worked on completing the Sump Room Gutting AND inside Cut Outs, PLUS (of OLD Water Damaged Bottom Drywall)

Before and After shows progress over Last Month.

Both Tanks and Both Sumps are still fully Running (That is a miracle job in itself)

I just have to work on Bottom Walls (Heal and Seal) and then THE BUILD CAN START (When Tank Arrives)

Unread 01/21/2018, 08:14 PM   #179
Wally.B
Registered Member

LIGHTING DECISION (For Next Year +) 6 x T5 (39W) + with LED [[ No 250W MH ]]

This has been a difficult decision and I've been pondering for a long time.

I have to move forward on Lighting as Part of the Electrical Build.

I have decided for many reasons to Start the New Tank on T5's and (Some kind of DIY Led for Actinic/POP)

** YES, I HATE Bulb Replacement **, but Benefits outweigh Downside.

I am about to order 3x DIY (T5 Kits) with HEP Ballasts ( Exact Same Ballast as in ATI Fixture)

I like the Micro-4 Reflectors since I have both to COMPARE.
Both are clip-on , but the Micro-T has better Multi Angle Reflector which you can tell directs light better (when looking into it).

To not confuse anyone. Above Photo and Below Photo (the Reflectors are switched LEFT / RIGHT)

It a bit wider too.

The decision for T5 is the following:

-> Short Term SMALLER Investment on Ballast/Reflectors
-> Can STOP buying T5 bulbs if I decide for something else
-> Proven ATI Blue Plus Bulb for SPS Coloration & Growth
-> Less Intensity compare to my 250W MH (Less Power consumption)
-> No shimmer, Even Light Distribution compared to ANY LED option.
-> REALLY WANT THIS NEXT TANK to have Best Chance to do GOOD.

I'll add some kind of LED (from my DIY parts) for off peak lighting.
Maybe even the Extra Kessil I have coming.

My MOVE TO LED is just postponed (let the technology evolve).

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/21/2018 at 09:57 PM.
Unread 01/22/2018, 11:14 AM   #180
Wally.B
Registered Member

T5 (54W-48"/46 or 39W-36"/32) Next Difficult Decision

I kind of stuck on 54W or 39W T5 Decision. (Price is almost the same).

-> Part of the reason is my Tank is in Wall and Flush (DRYwall overlaps 1/2" One Side)
-> Part of the reason is my Euro Top Trim

As shown below I have a few options.

-> If I go 54W I will get great lighting across the whole tank width (45" if you subtract the 1/2" glass on either side), but bulbs are 46" of light area.
-----> Part of bulb will overhang over One Side of tank where External Overflow is (but all this is behind wall)
-----> Also light will pass thru and reflect off of Glass Top Euro Trim

-> If I go 39W or 32" bulb length that means (if all bulbs centered) 6.5" on either side of tank will get less lighting.

----> I could do what I did in my Kitchen 48' Tank (Stagger the shorter bulbs)

It two factors for this decision :
----> Lighting for Corals
----> Look of tank

I think I need to hold off and wait for tank to Arrive (Try the 39W bulbs and ballast I have over Frag Tank)

Unread 01/22/2018, 12:57 PM   #181
reefmutt
Registered Member

I think it’s a no brainer.. 54w for sure, if it fits..
Also, imo, the original t5 decision is the absolute best option for you.
No guess work, no worries about the intensity or spectrum. You’ll never have to tweak or have doubts about light.
The 54w will give you full coverage with no drops in intensity anywhere.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 01:27 PM   #182
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I think it’s a no brainer.. 54w for sure, if it fits..
Also, imo, the original t5 decision is the absolute best option for you.
No guess work, no worries about the intensity or spectrum. You’ll never have to tweak or have doubts about light.
The 54w will give you full coverage with no drops in intensity anywhere.
I was thinking the same think since it like $1 a bulb more for 54W.
Behind wall who cares how things look.

I'll find way to make 54W fit, even if I have to Black-Electrical Tape the FAR END of the bulbs.

The EuroBrace probably let's most light thru.

Matt, is that how you have your tank? T5's all the way to the ends?
But I did do a test too see how Lights bounce off side wall.

Interesting what water does.
That was fresh water, so Salt water is thicker for even more.

Unread 01/22/2018, 03:33 PM   #183
Wally.B
Registered Member

54W (46" Bulb) Adjustments ( FOR Receded In-Wall TANK FIT )

Good thing I'm planning ahead on T5 Lighting.

Everything is possible....

Wouldn't want to have things finished to be making HACK adjustments at last minute.

Wonder what the typical Height (T5's) about Tank is? 11"?
I should make space for 12-14" to be safe.

Unread 01/22/2018, 07:31 PM   #184
reefmutt
Registered Member

Yes, 12-14 inches would be a good idea. You’ll have a lot of good quality light and may need to raise or lower the fixture sometimes.
My tank is 53 inches long and I use 54w bulbs so they don’t extend to the edges.. but close..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 01/22/2018, 07:49 PM   #185
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, 12-14 inches would be a good idea. You’ll have a lot of good quality light and may need to raise or lower the fixture sometimes.
My tank is 53 inches long and I use 54w bulbs so they don’t extend to the edges.. but close..
Huh?? If Tank is 46" and your is 53 that's 7 " more. 3.5" GAP more each side.
That is close but not to the edge.

But.....I made adjustment for 54W Bulb to fit. 1" will hang over other side (Which is small. Black Electrical Tape could cover 1" if need)

I'll never COMPLAIN ABOVE COVERAGE EVER

For now 10" VERTICLE pocket but later I can increase to 12" or more.

I am learning to under cut than over cut. Can always cut more, but putting back is patching work.

Unread 01/22/2018, 08:07 PM   #186
Wally.B
Registered Member

TANK Startup (FOLR) Have QT Tanks (old Tank, 10Gals, Frag Tank )

So the plan for the Tank start up will be FOLR.

Matt, after seeing your video, I love the Fish look activity in your tank.

And my Kitchen Tank is Fish Devoid (3 Cromis, Hawkfish, and Lawnmover Blenny)

I'll introduce fish going through proper QT (Learned that lesson with Powder Brown)

This is what tank will start off with (coming from old tank)

What I'll get well have to see.....

But I saw a beautiful specimen in at CoralShop when I was picking up the Orphek. Instantly fell in Love. (Never saw one before, or recently)

A Purple Tang.

I know they are aggressive, and sensitive to disease.

But I'll have opportunity to treat with No Corals as Tank Stabilizes.

Nothing is for sure, just thinking.

Unread 01/22/2018, 08:13 PM   #187
tenurepro
Registered Member

A wrasse or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 08:24 PM   #188
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
A wrasse or two?
Yes. Practical Fish too.
But I lost my Beautiful Fairy Wrasse last year (once in overflow...and put back) and then gone forever (even with a Net on top).

Was hoping I'd find his Skelton during this Sump room Tear apart.
Not found yet.

Before the Fairy, I had a Black Capped Basslet. He jump but I found him on floor. He was great!!! And a possible Candidate.

But I'll make a better net this time, and EuroTrim might help too.

ANY OTHER (Fish) SUGGESTIONs from ANYONE? (Good Experiences)

I might get another LawnMover Blenny. I like him in my other tank. Not Pretty but Goofy and fun.

Unread 01/23/2018, 01:38 AM   #189
Rakie
In Memoriam

Most blenny are kinda goofy and fun. If you want something smaller try a tail-spot blenny.

As for nets, I would say if it's a big concern get a BRS net that is 1/8" instead of 1/4" for added security. Doesn't do much to the lighting really, and might make you feel safer with livestock.

I've only had one jumper, it was a midnight clown that my Bangaii terrorized out of the tank. I have an up and over return line, and that 1/2" gap was enough for him to jump. Such a bummer, he was a cool fish, thought he was a wrasse and liked to hang out with them.

Most people with a nice thick euro edge don't have much to worry about when it comes to fish jumping though, I'm not entirely sure why other than the obvious barrier.. Maybe most fish escape by jumping nearly straight up against the glass? Otherwise, I have no idea how a simple 2" lip an be so outrageously effective -- But it is.

As for Fish!
- Yellow Assessors are awesome, very chill basslet, get along in groups, mine is ALWAYS out.
- Sunburst Anthias are also pretty relaxed, again, mine is ALWAYS out.
- Shoal of Anthias, movement and beauty.
- Neon Goby is great, they will clean your fish They also have a HUGE personality.
- Various 2" goby; Tangaroa, Yasha Hase, Green Barred, etc etc. They all get along great, they all have personality, and they're mini CUC who eat missed food.
- Fairy Wrasse -- It's always good to have a few of these. One may be a jerk, two will always be on one another, 4-5 will be a small hierarchy. They seem to chill when there's more than just one or two vying for 'top dog'.
- Flasher Wrasse -- Similar to Fairy Wrasse, but in my experience more willing to show whose boss. Fairy wrasse get larger and know they're the boss, these little guys feel the need to prove it. Mostly flashing and display, not much actual biting.
- Leopard Wrasse -- The most valuable CUC member and a great personality. Cleared me of Flatworms (Aceol or w/e kind) in a week.
- Sharks -- Need I say more?

I'm really enjoying watching your progress Wally. Can't wait to see which sharks you pick

Last edited by Rakie; 01/23/2018 at 01:49 AM.
Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 12:08 PM   #190
Wally.B
Registered Member

Thanks Rakie, (Glad you are enjoying my updates. I do appreciate you cheering me on. Helps with this hard work)

Thanks for the Fish list. Will see what's available. (No sharks. No eels, no Lion Fish, nothing dangerous or mean to me or coral [would love a triggerfish, but not possible] )
I want to get all fish at once so I have chance to treat (with Just ROCKS no corals) and get everyone to know each other from the start.

As far as net. This is what I had for tank after my expensive Black Capped Basslet jumped out. But the Fairy Wrasse somehow found a way (I figure in that Triangle Area where I had a feeder tube. But the netting flap did loosely cover that area too.

I have enough left over netting for the new tank.
But the 5", 4" and 3" Euro Trim should prevent any off-glass wall ricochet jumps.

I am also thinking about those extra holes I made in Euro Trim for my possible SeaSwirl (RED) locations. I'll cover them but the Extra's I don't use can be a feeding tube (the one I don't use for wire runs SMALLER YELLOW HOLES)

The tank photo above is wrong. When I visited my tank they made a mistake with Trim sizes, so they removed and re-did with my proper EURO GLASS widths as in photo (plus did the hole too).

Unread 01/23/2018, 01:15 PM   #191
Wally.B
Registered Member

FIRST FISH Chosen ( One of my All Time Favourites)

I lost him jumping out (photo during his QT stay), but he was so special and different looking, with nice personality that I going to get another.

Made call to get one since one might be available on next shipment.

When Black Cap Jumped I couldn't spend the $ on another.
So got a very good priced Fairy Wrasse.

It was very nice and noticeably stunning (before he also jumped), but I found the colors overwhelming and not as crisp.
Still would consider another Fairy Wrasse, but Black Cap was just something else.

NOW I have to find some Cherry Colored fish since the Purple/Black is a more Serious Color mix.
My Yellow Tang isn't enough.

Maybe some colorful Anthias....Will start researching. (Sunburst Anthia looks promising)...Need some pinky/orange colors for the mix (Maybe Shoal Anthias).

I did have a Leopard Wrasse (but he never survived QT, but he was amazing when he finally came out of sandbed).
They need sandbed and I had a sandbed in QT (Tank won't have Sandbed so probably not)

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/23/2018 at 01:31 PM.
Unread 01/23/2018, 04:12 PM   #192
Wally.B
Registered Member

Here is a Fish with some Orange Color.

Achilles Tang.

But after the Ich Death on the Power Brown, I may pass. Plus my tank might be a bit too small.

Unread 01/23/2018, 05:04 PM   #193
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
FIRST FISH Chosen ( One of my All Time Favourites)

I lost him jumping out (photo during his QT stay), but he was so special and different looking, with nice personality that I going to get another.

Made call to get one since one might be available on next shipment.

When Black Cap Jumped I couldn't spend the $ on another.

So got a very good priced Fairy Wrasse.

It was very nice and noticeably stunning (before he also jumped), but I found the colors overwhelming and not as crisp.

Still would consider another Fairy Wrasse, but Black Cap was just something else.

NOW I have to find some Cherry Colored fish since the Purple/Black is a more Serious Color mix.

My Yellow Tang isn't enough.

Maybe some colorful Anthias....Will start researching. (Sunburst Anthia looks promising)...Need some pinky/orange colors for the mix (Maybe Shoal Anthias).

I did have a Leopard Wrasse (but he never survived QT, but he was amazing when he finally came out of sandbed).

They need sandbed and I had a sandbed in QT (Tank won't have Sandbed so probably not)

I love leopard wrasses and have had a 5/6 success rate on QTing them. They do need sand but you can get away with a small container tucked behind the rockwork

Unread 01/23/2018, 05:09 PM   #194
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
I love leopard wrasses and have had a 5/6 success rate on QTing them. They do need sand but you can get away with a small container tucked behind the rockwork
You have 5 of them?

I never noticed when I visited your tank. Do you even have one?

My tank won't be having even the Smallest patch of Sand Bed [Sand Grains]. I'm already scared to death about scratching the new Tank (6% Softer Starphire Glass)
Plus as much as I REALLY LOVE the White SAND Bottom LOOK. It's a pain, and in long run, I've had no success (just problems). (Maybe just me being Lazy/hard to clean tank bottom)

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/23/2018 at 05:23 PM.
Unread 01/23/2018, 05:24 PM   #195
Rakie
In Memoriam

Lots of wrasse that live in sand will happily live in a BB tank. They prefer sand of course, but they'll sleep in the rocks.

Personally, If I had the space I would put in a container with sand for some wrasse. That said, they can get on just fine without sand.

A Melanurus wrasse is also a really colorful fish you'd probably enjoy. Here is the last pic I took of mine

Unread 01/23/2018, 05:53 PM   #196
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
You have 5 of them?

I never noticed when I visited your tank. Do you even have one?

My tank won't be having even the Smallest patch of Sand Bed [Sand Grains]. I'm already scared to death about scratching the new Tank (6% Softer Starphire Glass)

Plus as much as I REALLY LOVE the White SAND Bottom LOOK. It's a pain, and in long run, I've had no success (just problems). (Maybe just me being Lazy/hard to clean tank bottom)

I have one - an ornate leopard wrasse. I tried to establish a harem but I got bored of seeing the same species so I sold off the others. Leopard wrasses and those in the genus Halichoeres are awesome for pest control, especially in sps tanks.

Unread 01/23/2018, 07:13 PM   #197
reefmutt
Registered Member

I love the leopard wrasses..
If you can find a radiant wrasse, they are absolutely gorgeous. Not as available as they used to be.
My melanurus is a stunner but he eats shrimp.. never saw that coming... they usually don’t, in my experience..
Nice basslet. That’s a fish I’ve never kept but always wanted to..
If you go with he Achilles, I’d suggest not, but if you do, add it last. They are one of the most intolerant fish once established in a tank..
What about dwarf angels? Belus is a beaut...

You’re moving quick, Walley!

Unread 01/23/2018, 07:27 PM   #198
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
I love the leopard wrasses..
If you can find a radiant wrasse, they are absolutely gorgeous. Not as available as they used to be.
My melanurus is a stunner but he eats shrimp.. never saw that coming... they usually don’t, in my experience..
Nice basslet. That’s a fish I’ve never kept but always wanted to..
If you go with he Achilles, I’d suggest not, but if you do, add it last. They are one of the most intolerant fish once established in a tank..
What about dwarf angels? Belus is a beaut...

You’re moving quick, Walley!
Achilles is in stock. One left, but not for me when I found out price. (Tank isn't stable...Hah....Tank isn't even here). For a pricey fish.

Even the Purple Tang was pricey, but within reach. They are aggressive too. For me since I've never seen one, it was spectacular, and STILL on my hope list.

Isn't my Spotbreast Angel a drawf. One might be enough.

I need one medium fish. Nice swimmer, like the Powder Brown Tang I lost.

I love school fish (a bunch). I loved my Blue Green Chromis School of 8 in Kitchen Tank (till they grew up and killed each other off one by one). Now only 3 HUGE ones left. They don't school anymore. Not seen as much as I would like.

Unread 01/23/2018, 07:39 PM   #199
Rakie
In Memoriam

That's what I like about wrasse. They shoal -- Fish only school when they're afraid, but they can still shoal (basically hangout and forage together). Fairy Wrasse tend to Shoal.

Last edited by Rakie; 01/23/2018 at 10:59 PM.
Unread 01/23/2018, 08:07 PM   #200
Wally.B
Registered Member

Thanks Rakie.
This is all good learning.
Some kind of Wrasse might be a option.
Do the Wrasse all have to be same kind to Shoal? Or can you mix a few certain kinds?