Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2013, 12:02 PM   #1
mjheverly
Registered Member

Green Wrasse Safe Clean up Crew?

I picked out the green wrasse because it looked like it wouldn't go after my snails and crabs, but alas i've had no luck and the fish has really got into the majority of my cleanup crew so far. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...331&pcatid=331

That being said I would like to keep the fish if i can manage to keep a different type of cleanup crew for the tank since the snails won't work. Could anybody point me in the right direction of what a starfish, goby/blenny cleanup crew would look like?

mjheverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Kies1
Registered Member

I will follow your thread, my dusky wrasse has gotten an appetite for clams, snails and crabs. Ugh. Love the fish but added new snails and red legged hermits and I actually saw the wrasse knock the snails off the rocks and attacked them once they were upside down. Well at least I figured out who the culprit is.

Kies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2013, 12:42 PM   #3
mjheverly
Registered Member

I just added the green wrasse yesterday and I have already seen him knock snails off of the rock work and attack them once they were upside down. It's been about 24 hours and I would say he has already picked off about 6 of my 20 snails

Unread 09/22/2013, 02:45 PM   #4
jdezek
Registered Member

I have one and he doesn't bother any of my clean up crew. He just bullies my yellow corris.

jdezek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2013, 03:55 PM   #5
mjheverly
Registered Member

Thats the reason i got it, i know each fish is different but the only stories i had heard about them were eating pests and possibly fan worms. I didnt think it would start eating my snails so quickly (only took him about 15 minutes in the tank before he started going to town)

Unread 09/22/2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Kies1
Registered Member

I was told the dusky wrasse should be ok as well. It was for about 3 months then the trouble started when he demolished my clam one evening and now has moved to my snails.

Kies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2013, 07:52 PM   #7
donkeys4hire
Registered Member

I've had a green wrasse in my old set up, hermits and snails. only lose was snails losing heir life to hermits looking for a new home. Also have one in my rimless cube, snails only. Never had issues with the green wrasse.

donkeys4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2013, 08:17 PM   #8
saf1
Registered Member

My understanding is that fish will go after most items on normal clean up crews such has shrimp, snails, micro hermits, etc. It also will eat things you actually want it to but in short, it will make quick work of things you want to keep and local pod population.

Unless you have a very established tank and large I would pass on it.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote