Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM   #601
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

I'm getting quite the algae selection - and not the good kind. It's OK. I think it is part of the progression of the ecosystem, which is trying to get balance. I remove bits and pieces in a patchy way. My crew hasn't quite caught up, but I think it will.

I try to keep the grasses cleanish so they get plenty of light. It gives me the opportunity to evaluate their vigor. They seem to be in good health. They still have epiphytic algae, which is tricky to remove completely. So, with some, I prune the whole blade. Unfortunately, cleaning them disturbs the roots, so it's a balancing act.

My overall algae strategy is to keep exporting it to remove excess nutrients, favoring the red macros, which don't need a lot, and the grasses, which can get their nutrients from the substrate. I still have a few more herbivores and detrivores to add as well. At some point, my 'cast of thousands' will reach an equilibrium with algae production. I'll continue to add the macros I want, and when I feel like there is enough biomass, I will resume CO2 injection.

Next additions will be filter feeders. These will come in with live rock. Probably three weeks away. For now I'll keeping watching and thinking, and let Nature take its course.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:35 AM   #602
vlangel
Registered Member

Michael, are you running the return pump now or still just moving water via wave maker?

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:51 AM   #603
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

I have not yet turned on my main circulation pump. I do have a canister filter and the wave pump going, so water circulation is pretty good, but not great. I want to give the seagrasses time to get firmly rooted before turning it on. Once I do turn it on, things will change pretty radically. With much more current, the sand bar will be sculpted into who knows what shape. I also have the unknown of how the waves will be effected. My guess is that they will stay roughly the same, or possible get bigger. We'll have to wait and see.

Did you bring it up to point out that algae will be reduced by increased current? I found that to be true. However, my experience in v1 was that some algae was decreased, and some increased. Apparently, some algae like strong current. I think the biggest difference in this version is that I have a more complete crew in place to keep it cropped down.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:08 AM   #604
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I loved the pics, sorry for not responding sooner. The algae issues are just a life cycle phase of the tank, and I think that you're adapting and moving in the right direction with executing your plan.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass