Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/08/2021, 09:57 PM   #1
dsmooth
Registered Member

Dry rock prep

I've had some dry rock outside in a trash can for a couple of years. What's the best way to prep it for a new tank?

dsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2021, 07:27 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

rinse them off to remove the dirt and spiders. Use them. I keep my "extra" rock in a pile in the corner of my veggie garden.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2021, 08:46 AM   #3
Timfish
Registered Member

What he said.

Unread 01/09/2021, 05:16 PM   #4
dsmooth
Registered Member

Thank you

dsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2021, 12:27 AM   #5
aquaman05
Registered Member

I have some that I was going to take to the car wash and spray off tomorrow. Water only, hopefully that's ok

aquaman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2021, 02:03 PM   #6
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman05 View Post
I have some that I was going to take to the car wash and spray off tomorrow. Water only, hopefully that's ok
Hello, if you do use a car wash spray id soak the rock and run circulation for an hr or so & make sure no soap or wax residue contaminated it since everything does run thu the sprayer. If it did deposit anything the contamination would leave a film on the surface of the water, if clear after a good water circulation then your good to go! A power washer hooked directly to your homes water spigot is far safer since its just water no soap if you have that option.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2021, 03:47 PM   #7
aquaman05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldreeferman View Post
Hello, if you do use a car wash spray id soak the rock and run circulation for an hr or so & make sure no soap or wax residue contaminated it since everything does run thu the sprayer. If it did deposit anything the contamination would leave a film on the surface of the water, if clear after a good water circulation then your good to go! A power washer hooked directly to your homes water spigot is far safer since its just water no soap if you have that option.
Thanks for the info, i did use the car wash. I ran water for a few first but I'm going to do as you said to make sure.

aquaman05 is offline   Reply With Quote