Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2021, 02:24 PM   #1
pisces 12
Registered Member

Hydroids Pest

Any way to get rid of hydroids the short green kind, there staring to get out of control any suggestions on how to get rid them, will anything eat them my CBB doesn't seem interested

pisces 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2021, 03:35 PM   #2
lebowski
Notorious Reeferus

I have no method for eradicating hydroids. I used to manually do this. I would just crack them off the rock or substrate they attach themselves to.

I do recall a device used for aptasia which emits an electrical charge to zap the anemone pests. This could probably be used for the hydroids.

Come to think of it- what causes the hydroids to be collecting like that in the first place? They collect food from the water column. Are you over feeding? What are you feeding? What size tank is this? Any photos by chance?

Unread 01/15/2021, 03:41 PM   #3
Yamaxt660
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowski View Post
I have no method for eradicating hydroids. I used to manually do this. I would just crack them off the rock or substrate they attach themselves to.

I do recall a device used for aptasia which emits an electrical charge to zap the anemone pests. This could probably be used for the hydroids.

Come to think of it- what causes the hydroids to be collecting like that in the first place? They collect food from the water column. Are you over feeding? What are you feeding? What size tank is this? Any photos by chance?
I used to inject lemon juice into aptasia but have to be quick it dont release spores while doing this as it can multiply. Not sure if same method with hydroids can be used though.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Yamaxt660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2021, 07:25 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

If it's one rock, get rid of it and replace it with a new conditioned rock. If it's one rock but they're just in one patch, take it out, lay that side of the rock in a shallow container of H2O2 as your drugstore sells it, let it set 30 seconds, then rinse it very thoroughly under tapwater, next set it in your sump to let all the bubbles stop---it could burn fish or corals. Next day, just put it back in your DT.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2021, 10:03 AM   #5
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

I have same issue and now they are dominating my tank...since I will be upgrading my tank soon I am thinking of going less rock in New tank with marine pure blocks discarding all the rocks with the hydroids

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote