Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/10/2017, 07:16 PM   #26
Pife
Registered Member

Right now I'm having a bit of an issue with my DT being a bit cloudy. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of increasing the turnover from the sump.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 07:26 PM   #27
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Right now I'm having a bit of an issue with my DT being a bit cloudy. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of increasing the turnover from the sump.

This is likely to be bacterial bloom. I would increase water flow as you suggested and perhaps point your pumps (if you have such pumps) towards the water surface to increase gaseous exchange. Furthermore, using activated carbon will help remove bacteria as they will be attracted to carbon surfaces. Finally, skim wet. Once the nitrogen cycle stabilises water should clear.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 07:36 PM   #28
reefmutt
Registered Member

Could be nothing.. why do anything? Give it a bit..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 07:38 PM   #29
reefmutt
Registered Member

On the other hand, Bulent's advice is excellent!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 08/11/2017, 06:11 AM   #30
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Could be nothing.. why do anything? Give it a bit..
That's true. All I ended up doing was pointing a sea swirl at the surface for more agitation.

You also dose bio digest right? When you started did you notice a up swing in skimmate production?

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Unread 08/11/2017, 07:09 AM   #31
bk.
Registered Member

This setup is awesome. I love cube tanks, especially beastly ones!

bk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 07:28 AM   #32
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
That's true. All I ended up doing was pointing a sea swirl at the surface for more agitation.

You also dose bio digest right? When you started did you notice a up swing in skimmate production?

I figured since your new tank was connected to an established system, a mini cycle wasn't a huge possibility...
I used biodigest when I began prodibio. I used Bioptim and biodigest but I didn't really see a significant change in skimmate. When I ran out, I stopped the biodigest but continued with Bioptim and added reef booster.
I just use AF pro bio S because I have it on hand.

Unread 08/14/2017, 06:22 PM   #33
Pife
Registered Member

So I've added 6 more frags and 4 more fish. Pictures forth coming when the tank clears up from glass scraping.

Unread 08/14/2017, 07:39 PM   #34
Pife
Registered Member

Updated pictures. I need to figure out how to label the pictures with what they are. Any pointers are appreciated. FYI in using Tapatalk.

Unread 08/14/2017, 07:40 PM   #35
Pife
Registered Member

A few more and feeding time.

Unread 08/16/2017, 04:27 AM   #36
biggles
Registered Member

Looking good Brandon, i like your little cardinals mate

I want to get heaps more small fish like those and the small chromis which give the reef a busy look. What is that yellow tail spotty topped wrasse looking fish mate, that looks cool.

Unread 08/16/2017, 08:11 AM   #37
codydemmel4
Registered Member

have you started dosing the reef activ? If so, how much are you dosing?

Also are you dosing anything else currently?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 09:36 AM   #38
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Looking good Brandon, i like your little cardinals mate

I want to get heaps more small fish like those and the small chromis which give the reef a busy look. What is that yellow tail spotty topped wrasse looking fish mate, that looks cool.
That was a Lubbock wrasse. It had an especially nice coloration. Did you catch the past tense? I found it on the floor dead when I got home yesterday. I found a flaw in the canopy in that it has an opening along the edges of the tank. I'm fitting some plastic tonight so that it doesn't happen again.

Unread 08/16/2017, 09:40 AM   #39
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
have you started dosing the reef activ? If so, how much are you dosing?

Also are you dosing anything else currently?
Yes. I had planned to start with a spoonful 3 times a week. That is under half the recommended dose for my system. I'll make the call tonight if I'm going to continue down that path. There is a thread with some of us users documenting it.

I am still carbon dosing with vinegar.( trying to drive nitrates lower.) I also dose 2 drops of aquaforest vitamins a day and 2 drops of their fish vitamins soaked into the food every other day. That's it besides the calcium reactor.

Unread 08/16/2017, 12:43 PM   #40
Pife
Registered Member

Pictures as of last night.

Unread 08/17/2017, 05:31 PM   #41
LandoCalrissian
Moved On

What happened with that acro incrusting in your fuge?

LandoCalrissian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 06:26 PM   #42
reefmutt
Registered Member

Frags are looking good. Pe is starting.
Whatythe acro to the right of the OT in the first shot and just left of it in second to last pic?

Unread 08/17/2017, 08:57 PM   #43
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoCalrissian View Post
What happened with that acro incrusting in your fuge?
They're still in my frag tank. It's tied into this system.

Unread 08/17/2017, 09:08 PM   #44
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Frags are looking good. Pe is starting.
Whatythe acro to the right of the OT in the first shot and just left of it in second to last pic?
Thank you. I think the increase in flow will help with pe. I'm happy you can tell that the blue one is OT. That's your run of the mill Tyree pink lemonade. I'm sure with my placement of those corals they're 2 of my favorites and will give good contrasting growth and color.

Do you use a tripod while shooting? Any suggestions on one? I'm looking at a Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB. I like the way the center post articulates. I don't know whether to get the kit with their head or get a manfrotto ball head? Any help is much-needed.

Unread 08/18/2017, 07:41 AM   #45
reefmutt
Registered Member

OT and PL are two of my favs as well. The contrast will be amazing.
Well, I can tell you that 'manfotto ball head' should be the name of an S and M goth/metal band but I can't tell you if it is worth getting..
I am not knowledgeable about tripods. I either put my lens right up against the glass to hold it steady or stand back and use a longer lens.
I don't think fancy is all that necessary..

Unread 08/20/2017, 09:09 PM   #46
Pife
Registered Member

I just need to get more time to take pictures with my dslr.

I went to the lake for the day and when I returned 6 fish were missing from my DT. I have located 3 of them in my overflow and haven't found the others. There are no salt water marks next to the tank and no dried carcasses any where. I'm guessing my dogs have figured out how to fish and are having a heck of a good time while I'm gone. They didn't even catch any big fish but I assume that's not what they're telling the neighbor dogs. I'm in a bit of a conundrum with adding more "expenses" fish that I like or not. It's interesting to see the color difference between the frags in my DT and the ones in my frag tank. I need more fish in my DT as some of the corals are paling. I just don't know what to do about the dogs.

Unread 08/21/2017, 08:04 PM   #47
reefmutt
Registered Member

You might need a hidden camera..
6 fish. Thats crazy

Unread 08/21/2017, 08:07 PM   #48
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
You might need a hidden camera..
6 fish. Thats crazy
3 are mia. Presumed dead. I might be ending my wrasse obsession.

Unread 08/23/2017, 04:41 AM   #49
Pife
Registered Member

I added another coral last night. It wasn't by choice really. I found that my ORA Hawkins echinata became uncomfortable mounted so I grabbed some water weld and super glue and in she went. Pe is good but I'm having some nuisance algae on the sand. It's been a while since I have had sand in a tank and cant remember if this is a normal maturing thing or not.

Unread 08/23/2017, 05:49 AM   #50
reefmutt
Registered Member

The orange spot goby is a good sand turner who doesn't toss it around too much. They are pretty good at learning to catch frozen foods and even flake/pellets.
Tough for fish to clean sand and snails stay off of it..
Hermits might help as well..