Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/07/2017, 06:56 PM   #76
Pife
Registered Member

I took a couple of pictures before I embarked on a 3 day black out of my display tank. I'm only on day one but I'm looking forward to seeing the results at the end.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 08:20 PM   #77
reefmutt
Registered Member

Well.. the corals look good.
I hope the rocks look better in 3 days!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2017, 05:35 PM   #78
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Well.. the corals look good.
I hope the rocks look better in 3 days!
Thanks. I hope so too. I added 3 trocus snails a turbo and 2 conchs. I also added a candy cane pistol shrimp and yellow watchman goby. I wanted a wheelers but they were out of them.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Unread 09/09/2017, 02:20 PM   #79
reefmutt
Registered Member

That's a good start. If you get desperate, an urchin is a good turbo mower..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 09/09/2017, 04:09 PM   #80
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
That's a good start. If you get desperate, an urchin is a good turbo mower..
I was thinking of an urchin as I've never owned one but let's hope it doesn't get out of control.

I got the corals in that I ordered and several more locally. I'll try and snap some pictures later this evening of everything. I've been quite busy cutting frags for a swap next weekend.

I did snap a couple of pictures of my new fox flame.

Unread 09/09/2017, 10:03 PM   #81
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

I love urchins- I have a tuxedo and a short spine urchin in my system. They knock a coral off the rock from time to time but otherwise are good citizens.

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2017, 12:42 AM   #82
FloformAustria
Registered Member

man your scape is amazing!!!

hope the blackout works for you!

your fragtank is also insane! man what candy you have down there!!

Cheers

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2017, 03:53 PM   #83
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice colours Brandon, can't wait to see them all growing out on that scape.

Unread 09/10/2017, 06:34 PM   #84
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
I love urchins- I have a tuxedo and a short spine urchin in my system. They knock a coral off the rock from time to time but otherwise are good citizens.
Well now I will just have to get one. Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
man your scape is amazing!!!

hope the blackout works for you!

your fragtank is also insane! man what candy you have down there!!

Cheers
Thank you, it seems to have worked quite well. I'm glad you like the stuff in the frag tank. Maybe some day I'll get them all upstairs.

Quote:
Nice colours Brandon, can't wait to see them all growing out on that scape.
Thank you. You and me both.

I took some pictures tonight.

Unread 09/10/2017, 08:54 PM   #85
Scorpius
Stick Head

What's your phosphates and nitrates look like? Might be time to run a little gfo to help slowly bring down phosphates?

Unread 09/11/2017, 08:05 AM   #86
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
What's your phosphates and nitrates look like? Might be time to run a little gfo to help slowly bring down phosphates?
Nitrates are around 2 and phosphates are . 04

I think they are in check. For the most part if I don't feed my phosphates hit zero with in a day or two.

Unread 09/12/2017, 10:11 AM   #87
reefmutt
Registered Member

I'm sure that algae is sucking it up nicely..
The clean up crew made a dent but not a full clean..
I'd get an urchin there while you are mostly coral free..
Get that turf off. You might see a rise in nutrients as the turf gets eaten but since you have an established system, maybe not.
I don't see anything alarming about what's happening, just a shortage of little mouths to eat salad.
Otherwise, everybody looks good!

Unread 09/12/2017, 10:22 AM   #88
berlin-riff
Berlin SPS-Junky

realy nice frags ...!
Matt, Thats right!

Unread 09/13/2017, 11:07 PM   #89
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm sure that algae is sucking it up nicely..
The clean up crew made a dent but not a full clean..
I'd get an urchin there while you are mostly coral free..
Get that turf off. You might see a rise in nutrients as the turf gets eaten but since you have an established system, maybe not.
I don't see anything alarming about what's happening, just a shortage of little mouths to eat salad.
Otherwise, everybody looks good!
Thanks for the advice. I added an urchin yesterday and itreally clean the algae off right down to the rock. I think this time next week everything will be cleaned up. Because of your recent pictures of ice fire I had to go buy another one and put it right into the display. I have never had luck with them but it's in a nice sheltered spot so I'm hoping for different results. As for that ultraviolet frag I bought is browning out beautifully. But has some nice blue polyps I haven't been able to capture with a photo yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlin-riff View Post
realy nice frags ...!
Matt, Thats right!

Thank you.

Unread 09/14/2017, 08:05 AM   #90
reefmutt
Registered Member

Good to hear the urchin is hard at work.
Brandon, it can't be a surprise that it's browning.. probably a good thing. Better to be browning than to be rtning, which is what I think it was on the verge of doing.
Hopefully it'll brown out, recover and then turn into something very cool again.
And good luck with the ice fire.. I've never had good succes with them either. I keep expecting to wake up one day and find mine white..

Unread 09/17/2017, 12:49 AM   #91
biggles
Registered Member

Everything looks to be going well Brandon, pleased to see some frags in there too mate. You have one hell of a nice acro frag collection ready and waiting

Top right in the tray - black matrix stone.

The last guy i warned ignored me and a week later the entire front panel of his display just fell off.......... true story Brandon.

Get it out and make sure you bury it at least 2ft down in the back yard and place a large boulder over the spot.

Unread 09/17/2017, 01:00 AM   #92
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Everything looks to be going well Brandon, pleased to see some frags in there too mate. You have one hell of a nice acro frag collection ready and waiting

Top right in the tray - black matrix stone.

The last guy i warned ignored me and a week later the entire front panel of his display just fell off.......... true story Brandon.

Get it out and make sure you bury it at least 2ft down in the back yard and place a large boulder over the spot.

Already did that man. I see a handful of them so I picked them all out and then rented a backhoe and dug a hole under the 150 year old tree in my backyard and buried the cursed stones. 3 weeks later and they killed the tree..... True story.

On a side note I sold... Wait I tried to sell some frags this weekend at our clubs local frag swap. I didn't do to good. My buddy did pretty good though. Beers were consumed and fun was bad but all. I got to hang out with some old friends and spread some corals around incase anything tragic goes down with my system. Here's a picture of me with my son in front of my setup.

Unread 09/17/2017, 01:02 AM   #93
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Good to hear the urchin is hard at work.
Brandon, it can't be a surprise that it's browning.. probably a good thing. Better to be browning than to be rtning, which is what I think it was on the verge of doing.
Hopefully it'll brown out, recover and then turn into something very cool again.
And good luck with the ice fire.. I've never had good succes with them either. I keep expecting to wake up one day and find mine white..
Yep that is a positive outlook. I did just have 3 coral frags (not fresh cut) rtn Friday though!

Unread 09/22/2017, 07:07 AM   #94
Pife
Registered Member

Some recent pictures.

This is that frag Matt. It has beautiful irradecent blue polyps but it is lackluster compared to the photos. I'm still happy with the purchase as I'm a sucker for colored polyps on contrasting skin. It's really difficult for me to get a good picture of the polyps.

Unread 09/23/2017, 06:20 AM   #95
biggles
Registered Member

Are you going to add all that color slowly of carpet bomb the scape when you're happy things are settled Brandon. It will be like painting with color, your frags are looking super healthy and colorful mate.

I'm pretty certain your frag is very similar to the wild piece on the right, found it on Dave's FB page.

Unread 09/23/2017, 11:09 AM   #96
reefmutt
Registered Member

It looks pretty good. Got a bit of pe and it’s a bit darker for sure.
Now, if it turns into the coral in Andrew’s wet dream photo, you’ll be laughing yourself to sleep!

Unread 09/25/2017, 01:25 PM   #97
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Are you going to add all that color slowly of carpet bomb the scape when you're happy things are settled Brandon. It will be like painting with color, your frags are looking super healthy and colorful mate.

I'm pretty certain your frag is very similar to the wild piece on the right, found it on Dave's FB page.

Every time I take off work to have a couple free hours to bomb the DT with color it gets interrupted with more pressing issues.
Quote:
It looks pretty good. Got a bit of pe and it’s a bit darker for sure.
Now, if it turns into the coral in Andrew’s wet dream photo, you’ll be laughing yourself to sleep!
I think I already have that coral albeit it's darker. I'll dig up a couple pictures of it to see what you think.

I'm trying to decide if I should clean my frag tank out of sps that I don't want in my display. Some grow to fast and others are just not colorful enough.(green) What do you all keep in your frag tanks? Opinions needed.

Unread 09/29/2017, 07:59 PM   #98
Pife
Registered Member

I started adding frags tonight and ran out of water weld so the other corals are going to have to wait until another day. I was able to add 10 frags before I ran out though.

Unread 09/29/2017, 08:40 PM   #99
Pife
Registered Member

Here are some pictures. I really have to get the good camera out now.

Unread 09/30/2017, 05:18 AM   #100
biggles
Registered Member

Off to a great start Brandon, water weld is twice the price of aquarium putty in Aus so isn't a cheap DIY alternative like the hardware plumbing putty i use made by Selley's. I assume you use it because it's as cheap as aquarium brands ?

Btw, i forgot to say earlier - love the pic of you and your son at the frag meet mate