Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/01/2017, 03:40 PM   #151
Ucantwin
Registered Member

I don't know much about urchins but it looks like you have a pincushion. How do you like it? Thinking about getting one.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2017, 10:56 AM   #152
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
I don't know much about urchins but it looks like you have a pincushion. How do you like it? Thinking about getting one.
The one I have is a tuxedo urchin. He is the most amazing clean up crew. I would never put one in a tank if you don't securely mount frags. They will surely carry them off.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 06:19 PM   #153
Pife
Registered Member

A new page needs pictures.

The first picture is my favorite coral right now. The second is my new homewrecker. Hopefully I can color it up. I'm going to try and do weekly updates on it. The next picture is one of my many no names. It had wonderful white polyps. There are then a couple of pictures of the tip burn I'm getting on my fox flame. My Aqua sd rainbow mille is finally coming back around.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~

Last edited by Pife; 12/03/2017 at 06:25 PM.
Unread 12/03/2017, 06:26 PM   #154
Pife
Registered Member

More

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Unread 12/03/2017, 06:49 PM   #155
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Looking forward to HW updates!

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 08:32 PM   #156
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
Looking forward to HW updates!
I'll try to stay with it.

View from my new couch tonight.

Unread 12/08/2017, 04:56 PM   #157
reefmutt
Registered Member

I wish I had a couch where my tank is..
All i got is a rowing machine, a hockey net, sticks and workout stuff.
Keep me fit though..
Brandon, how’s the cleanup crew doing in the algae?
Nice collection of fish you’re amassing!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 12:42 AM   #158
frogspawn74
Registered Member

Looking good Brandon! I have to find time and see it in person some day.

frogspawn74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 03:42 PM   #159
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Love the fish pics man!! They're all looking very healthy and happy

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 05:40 PM   #160
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Improving for sure and getting cleaner as it gets older. I w ill be watching as this reef grows in.

DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 10:25 PM   #161
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I wish I had a couch where my tank is..
All i got is a rowing machine, a hockey net, sticks and workout stuff.
Keep me fit though..
Brandon, how’s the cleanup crew doing in the algae?
Nice collection of fish you’re amassing!

It is easy to waste the night away look at the tank. My wife often asks if I even know what's going on with the movie we're watching. There is very little algae left. I get brown in the sand every day though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogspawn74 View Post
Looking good Brandon! I have to find time and see it in person some day.
Come on over buddy. Bring another frag of the pink acro too. I killed the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Love the fish pics man!! They're all looking very healthy and happy
Thanks. I'm trying to get better on the photography front

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReefT4r View Post
Improving for sure and getting cleaner as it gets older. I w ill be watching as this reef grows in.

Glad to have you along for the ride.

Unread 12/13/2017, 08:43 PM   #162
Pife
Registered Member

It's a bit past a week but I got a new phone and I've been tweaking the settings trying to get the pictures right. Here is an update of the homewrecker and some other random pictures. I did get a lot of new acros this week too but no real good pictures of them yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Unread 12/21/2017, 05:10 PM   #163
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Crack-a-lackin Brandon

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2017, 11:43 AM   #164
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
More
I love the colours on these frags.

Quote:
Since pictures of my new fish. The warasses buried so no pictures of them yet.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Lovely fish, Brandon. I have never been brave enough to buy regal angelfish even though I keep a file fish. Do you think regal angels and file fishes present the same risk to the polyps of Acroporids?

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 12/22/2017 at 11:49 AM.
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 08:36 AM   #165
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
I love the colours on these frags.

Lovely fish, Brandon. I have never been brave enough to buy regal angelfish even though I keep a file fish. Do you think regal angels and file fishes present the same risk to the polyps of Acroporids?
Thanks. I can only keep trying to get better colors and then to be able to capture then with the camera is another challenge.

Thank you. I have found that filefish really like LPS. The angelfish I purchased off another hobbyist that has had him for a couple of years. Although I am now experiencing decreased PE. I do not think it is because of the fish. I'm trying to drive my nutrients even lower to pull more colors out.

Unread 01/07/2018, 06:12 PM   #166
Pife
Registered Member

I have a crappy update. A lot has died over the last couple weeks. I could not keep up with the temperature. I added insulation and 1500 Watts of heater's to keep the tank temp up but had some bad swings that I believe ultimately did in some acros. I'm in need of cleaning up my frag system and sump. I might take the frag tank down for awhile.

Unread 01/07/2018, 06:35 PM   #167
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
I have a crappy update. A lot has died over the last couple weeks. I could not keep up with the temperature. I added insulation and 1500 Watts of heater's to keep the tank temp up but had some bad swings that I believe ultimately did in some acros. I'm in need of cleaning up my frag system and sump. I might take the frag tank down for awhile.
This is a really sad news. I am sorry to hear it, Brandon.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 07:08 PM   #168
watchguy123
Registered Member

I am so sorry about the losses. This is such an unforgiving hobby

Current Tank Info: 180 Bowfront, 30 gallon sump, 20 gallon refugium, reeflo dart/snapper hybrid pump, 2 x 6105 Tunze ,Tunze ATO, dual chamber CA reactor, 3 x250 metal halides with 2x t5 actinic supplement, Reefbrite Blue XHO's dawn/dusk
watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 08:08 PM   #169
shred5
Registered Member

oh man terrible. What is the dimensions of the tank?

Unread 01/08/2018, 06:47 AM   #170
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
This is a really sad news. I am sorry to hear it, Brandon.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchguy123 View Post
I am so sorry about the losses. This is such an unforgiving hobby
Thnank you. You sure are right there. Sometimes I ponder if it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
oh man terrible. What is the dimensions of the tank?
It is. 36 inches by 36 inches by 30 inches.

Unread 01/09/2018, 07:27 PM   #171
reefmutt
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that Brandon!
Where is your tank that it needs so much power to heat it?
I know it has been frigid all over North America lately but wow 1500ws wasn’t enough?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 09:07 PM   #172
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Sorry to hear that Brandon!
Where is your tank that it needs so much power to heat it?
I know it has been frigid all over North America lately but wow 1500ws wasn’t enough?
The bulk of my system is in the basement and it got frigid down there. We had a week with super low temps. My house is from the 1870's and the only place I haven't renovated is the basement. The heater's kept stuff alive but only up to 73 degree's. It was also bad timing with family in town to entertain as well.

Unread 01/10/2018, 10:50 PM   #173
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

Sorry to hear about your losses, sometimes this hobby can just crush your spirit. Your display tank has really been improving lately, a testament to your efforts. P.S. your tag line at the bottom has always brought a chuckle to me.

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 10:13 PM   #174
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdad View Post
Sorry to hear about your losses, sometimes this hobby can just crush your spirit. Your display tank has really been improving lately, a testament to your efforts. P.S. your tag line at the bottom has always brought a chuckle to me.
Thanks. It sure can. I feel my tag line is very true some days.

I've been out of state for several days and Tuesday when I get back home I'm going to do a couple of projects to get my tank cleaned up into shape. I'm going to install a remote deep sand bed! I've located a 40 breeder and am going to almost fill it completely with sand. I keep having a problem with nitrates and want to get away from carbon dosing. Next up I'll be cleaning up the dead corals and sand out of both tanks. I am contemplating installing a new skimmer I picked up our installing a neck cleaner in the one I have. Time will tell on that one.

Unread 01/15/2018, 12:23 AM   #175
watchguy123
Registered Member

I’ve always thought a remote deep sand bed would be cool. Especially if it was either replaceable or replenishable. Have you given any consideration to siporax as an option because it seems extremely good at lowering nitrates although the effect may take some months to kick in.

Current Tank Info: 180 Bowfront, 30 gallon sump, 20 gallon refugium, reeflo dart/snapper hybrid pump, 2 x 6105 Tunze ,Tunze ATO, dual chamber CA reactor, 3 x250 metal halides with 2x t5 actinic supplement, Reefbrite Blue XHO's dawn/dusk
watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote