Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2017, 08:11 AM   #26
Arcar
Registered Member

The aragoite sand. I used to do deep sand beds but now Im reading that most got away with it. If I get a larger pebble vs sand it will stay in place. Now do I vacuum it when it gets dirty? or leave it alone still?

Current Tank Info: New 120 Gallon
Arcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 09:05 AM   #27
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcar View Post
The aragoite sand. I used to do deep sand beds but now Im reading that most got away with it. If I get a larger pebble vs sand it will stay in place. Now do I vacuum it when it gets dirty? or leave it alone still?
I did the shallow sand bed in my 375 and 470 gallon tanks, within a couple years of not vacuuming my nitrate was 50 plus and I had to remove all the sand, the water was brownish black. So if you don’t regularly vacuum a shallow sand bed, you’ll have big nitrate issues. On my 4 year old SPS 120, I have a deep sand bed of 4” with nitrate of 5-10, heavy feeding and tons of life crawling around.

You either regularly vacuum SSB or replace it every couple of years.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 09:07 AM   #28
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Just because “most” do something 10 years later doesn’t make it the best decision. Research everything, question everything, then before you decide on a methodology or piece of equipment, find all the cons to doing it that way, or buying that piece.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 10:42 AM   #29
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
So if you don’t regularly vacuum a shallow sand bed, you’ll have big nitrate issues.
He speaks the truth...

VoltzNSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 04:39 PM   #30
Arcar
Registered Member

So is a deep sand bed the way to go still?

Unread 12/05/2017, 07:28 PM   #31
mako61
Registered Member

I just started back up after a 10+ year break -

ATO is prob my favorite thing since I last did a tank
Doser for ALK+CAL daily is also very nice and a lot better than I can do by hand.
I know apex is expensive but I absolutely love mine!!
LED lighting is much lower power and temp than my old stuff.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 10:39 AM   #32
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
So is a deep sand bed the way to go still?
There is no one "right" way. Pros and cons for everything to be weighted by your preferences.

For sand I still like and use the now no longer available play sand from Home Depot. I bought 30 something bags maybe 15 years ago...fine argonite sand, blows around.

Some like the special grade - it does look nice IMO. doesn't move around as much.

As for depth, I don't like it deep. Also don't vacuum it. various sand dwellers do what I consider a fine job keeping it tidy. Part of that is dictated by the tank - mine is quite shallow, so a deep sand bed would have looked out of place.

So IMO do what you like. Deep, not deep, live rock, dry rock, whatever and no big deal. There are no guarentee's with any method.

HTH

P.S. I've just added a remote dark rock tub in the basement. 100 gallon rubbermaid full of rock. exceptionally slow flow. I'm hoping to transition to no skimmer. The rock was both dry and used, wet live rock from a tank breakdown. I used acid to clean it good, and then lanthanum chloride as a precautionary measure. All told the rock came to $1.65 per pound after the "treatment".

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 11:08 AM   #33
moneymm
Registered Member

Quote:
Man o man,

I'm coming back after being gone for 11 years lol. I'm 31 now and was 21 when I sold my saltwater tank. I have more time on my hands and more money lol so I want to get back into it.

I visited my local pet store as I want to support them as much as I can. I'm now shopping around for a whole new setup. I want a 90g tank 24"high 48"long with stand. Looking for a sump.reg and protein skimmer.

Crazy to see the changes in lighting. I remember MH being it! Love the new LED and low power consumption. I really am liking the Orbit 4106! Prob going with that.

Anyone have any good links to a 90g tank with overflow?
Also looking at a Eshopp R-100 sump.ref, anyone think this is a good/bad choice?
protein skimmers any good ones?

I also have been reading that deep sand beds are no longer a thing! lol! Back in the day the deeper the better ha... So I just use a 1-2" bed??

Liverock is also kinda going away it seems..Yes, I remember the unwanted bubble alg etc.... Im looking at reefsaver rock right now.. Im liking it!

What else am I missing? Are there any new equip to make a new tank successful?

Your time would be appreciated on helping me out! I thank you in advance

I would def go bigger. 90 Gallon limits alot of the types of fish you can get. go with a 125.

Phantom Clown, Ocellaris Cown, 10 Snails, 4 Hermit Crabs
moneymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 11:08 AM   #34
Arcar
Registered Member

Thanks for your opinion. How do I use lanthanum chloride?

Unread 12/09/2017, 11:36 AM   #35
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
How do I use lanthanum chloride?
Depends on the situation.

While the rock tub was still offline I used the tub, a small pump for circulation, and just dripped into the tub with a knotted air line. Satisfied me.

Many will suggest capturing the precipitate with a filter sock. I would have had I had some hose to fit the pump output on hand.

There are a number of good threads on the subject.

Unread 12/10/2017, 05:12 AM   #36
Arcar
Registered Member

Ill look into it thanks

Update- I did order a 90g. the 125g was just to big for me room! DAMN THATS BIG ha..

Mine will be more of a coral tank with a few smaller fish. Is there a rule of thumb on aquascaping and giving room for fish to hide? Like, not pile a bunch of rocks on the back wall?

Unread 12/10/2017, 08:20 AM   #37
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
...a coral tank with a few smaller fish. Is there a rule of thumb on aquascaping and giving room for fish to hide?..
The only rule should be do what you like.

fish will find their way. there will be holes and such regardless of your best efforts.

Unread 12/16/2017, 01:34 PM   #38
Arcar
Registered Member

I called up the pet store and got a 120 with custom stand, canceled my 90 gallon set up. He was fine with it. It was $280 more but Im already spending a few thousand..... Now I'm pumped! More room for rock and corals

Unread 12/16/2017, 01:37 PM   #39
SAT
Registered Member

120 is a nice shape.

Current Tank Info: 300G Caribbean biotype reef set up in 2003.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 06:15 PM   #40
Arcar
Registered Member

I have a question about auto top off so I’m currently going with a gravity fed one that hooks up to my sump but I don’t want to fill it constantly is there any RO options I can connect my system to my tank with redundancy so if it fails it shuts off ? Has there been success without overflows ?I could not afford a mistake . Can an RO system even feed to my tank from my basement up to the first floor ?

Unread 12/20/2017, 08:05 PM   #41
on the spot
Registered Member

I don't see why it wouldn't feed to the first floor.

The surest fail safe is a reservoir with an overflow drain.

I wouldn't run the RO/DI as a constant fill - TDS creep will chew up the resin. the good news is that low voltage solenoid valves are cheap. you could wire up a couple toggle switches upstairs to run the RO to waste to clear out the creep, flip the switch to DI to fill up the reservoir, and once that is full close a ball valve behind the float valve on the reservoir to shut off the RO.

I'd avoid directly plumbed to the tank.

Unread 12/20/2017, 08:23 PM   #42
Arcar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't feed to the first floor.

The surest fail safe is a reservoir with an overflow drain.

I wouldn't run the RO/DI as a constant fill - TDS creep will chew up the resin. the good news is that low voltage solenoid valves are cheap. you could wire up a couple toggle switches upstairs to run the RO to waste to clear out the creep, flip the switch to DI to fill up the reservoir, and once that is full close a ball valve behind the float valve on the reservoir to shut off the RO.

I'd avoid directly plumbed to the tank.
Ok,

How about this? Because I might want to does kalk so what if I put a 10g bucket under tank and just buy a top of system. I will have a 44g tub in the basement with fresh water in it and only mix salt during WC. I will use 1 bucket for both. I will turn on the pump wirelessly to fill fresh water to my auto top off bucket. I don’t think left over salt in the tub downstairs will have an effect. This was I don’t have to pore water in the bucket it will be plumed.

How’s that if it makes sense lol

Unread 12/20/2017, 08:26 PM   #43
Arcar
Registered Member

I was setting up a gravity ato but I don’t have room to put the bucket above the sump.

Unread 12/20/2017, 08:33 PM   #44
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok,

How about this? Because I might want to does kalk so what if I put a 10g bucket under tank and just buy a top of system. I will turn on the pump wirelessly to fill fresh water to my auto top off bucket...
That's a good plan.

Unread 12/20/2017, 09:18 PM   #45
Arcar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post
That's a good plan.
Thanks,

I don’t have the room for a fresh water and saltwater RO container. Do you think after mixing saltwater and emptying the container then refilling it with fresh water to use for ATO?it won’t have enough salt left over to cause a fluctuation right? My pump will draw from the bottom.

Unread 12/20/2017, 09:55 PM   #46
SAT
Registered Member

For topoff, I find that using a constant-feed dosing pump from an RO/DI reservoir works better than one might expect. The flow needs to be adjusted seasonally, but I find that's not a problem. Every few weeks I have to refill the reservoir, but again I find that to be an easy task. This system had the advantage of simplicity: no sensors or valves that are likely to fail and I can ignore it for a few weeks without worry. My dosing pump has been running almost 15 years without fail.

Unread 12/20/2017, 10:05 PM   #47
Arcar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT View Post
For topoff, I find that using a constant-feed dosing pump from an RO/DI reservoir works better than one might expect. The flow needs to be adjusted seasonally, but I find that's not a problem. Every few weeks I have to refill the reservoir, but again I find that to be an easy task. This system had the advantage of simplicity: no sensors or valves that are likely to fail and I can ignore it for a few weeks without worry. My dosing pump has been running almost 15 years without fail.
What pump are you using? How is this set up? Thanks!

Unread 12/20/2017, 10:20 PM   #48
SAT
Registered Member

Quote:
What pump are you using? How is this set up? Thanks!
It's an old Spectrapure. It feeds directly from a Brute trashcan into my refugium. I fill the trashcan with RO/DI periodically, adding a cup of kalk. I used to worry about calibrating the pump and proactively replacing the tubing but over time found that a periodic inspection is all it really needs.