Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2017, 01:08 PM   #1
JRBaker
Registered Member

Cincinnati Live Rock Source

Hey everyone! I'm setting up a 20 gallon long reef and need some recommendations on where to get some decent live rock in the Cincinnati area. I know Monfort's has it, but it's pretty expensive at $9 a pound. Anyone know of a decent lfs in the Cincinnati area with cheaper live rock? Thanks everyone!

JRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 08:52 PM   #2
hijinks
Registered Member

If I were you, I'd buy dead rock and cure it and then bring it alive. Every LFS I've ever been to that sells a lot of live rock has aiptasia in the rock tank.

You are better off taking things very slow and start a tank pest free. The color will come in time.

hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 09:02 PM   #3
rocsec1
Registered Member

Look at reefcleaners. I bought my rock from them and it has worked well for me.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 05:42 AM   #4
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

I have 300lbs or so left of dry rock I'm selling. $1 per pound

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 09:32 AM   #5
JRBaker
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! @Dmorty217 are you in the Cincinnati area by any chance? I might be interested. I'm really looking for some unique shapes (arches, shelves, etc)

Unread 12/15/2017, 01:15 PM   #6
KRBNSOL
Registered Member

go with the dry rock. learn from others. yes, getting the live rock from wherever with whatever on it is cool. what isnt cool is chasing aiptasia and whatever else bs that comes along with it.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef/30g sump
KRBNSOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 03:12 PM   #7
JRBaker
Registered Member

I like the idea of dry rock due to the price and because it will be easier to aquascape with. My only concern is that I've read several posts from people on this forum and others say dry rock leaches a lot of phosphates. Anyone ever dealt with this?

Unread 12/16/2017, 07:35 AM   #8
JRBaker
Registered Member

I think I'm going to buy the rock from reefcleaners. It looks like they soak the rock before shipping it so it has already leached any phosphates it may have contained. Thanks for the help everyone!

Unread 12/16/2017, 08:36 AM   #9
Mdj
Registered Member

Got mine from world of pets in Florence 2 small pieces to seed dead rock and well aiptasia came with been chasing it ever since. Good luck

Mdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2017, 11:14 AM   #10
flawedexistence
Registered Member

Fellow Cincy reefer here! After much thought I decided to go the dry rock way. I got mine from BRS. I cured it for three months to leach out the phosphates and have just now started my initial cycle. I would definitely recommend this method.

flawedexistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2017, 09:15 AM   #11
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBaker View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone! @Dmorty217 are you in the Cincinnati area by any chance? I might be interested. I'm really looking for some unique shapes (arches, shelves, etc)
Very close to the Dayton Airport so about 50 mins from Cincinnati

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 12:07 PM   #12
crankbait09
Registered Member

jrbaker - I started my whole tank with dry rock It's been up and running for 2 years now. I never had any major Nitrate issues due to the dry rock. But from a cost stand point, I'd go dry.

I believe Gerber's (Dayton) has some dry rock available, but I do not recall the cost per pound

crankbait09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 04:28 PM   #13
JRBaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankbait09 View Post
jrbaker - I started my whole tank with dry rock It's been up and running for 2 years now. I never had any major Nitrate issues due to the dry rock. But from a cost stand point, I'd go dry.

I believe Gerber's (Dayton) has some dry rock available, but I do not recall the cost per pound
I ended up ordering dry rock from reefcleaners. It seems like people have good luck with that rock. I'm still considering adding some live rock to seed the tank. I'm going to call around to see if I can find a better price than what Monfort's offers. Unfortunately, I live on the east side of Cincinnati where there aren't very many fish stores. All the good stuff seems to be on the west side, which puts me driving at least 45 minutes. I have a petco around the corner from me that has cultured live rock (says it's from the Indian Ocean on the tag), but I'm skeptical about buying from them.

Unread 02/13/2018, 11:00 AM   #14
JordanM
Registered Member

Im not to far away from you guys in Cincinnati and noticed this craigslist post. Do any of you know who is selling this live rock?
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/fo...449820789.html

JordanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 03:23 PM   #15
Indymann99
Registered Member

You might try Premium Aquatics (south of Indianapolis). They generally have really good LR.