Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2017, 04:10 PM   #1
SpoonSpider
Registered Member

Spoon's 40 Gallon IM Tank Build

A little background:

I grew up helping my dad with his 75 gallon freshwater tank, and it was a hobby I fell in love with almost immediately. It was a community tank with a ton of different species. I had my own tanks with Betta's and such through the years, but always wanted a saltwater tank.

I finally bit the bullet, after being out of the fish-keeping hobby for a few years, and got myself a 20 long Aqueon tank with a hang on back filter and two powerheads. 6 months with the 20 gallon up and running, and I decide it's time for me to get myself a larger tank. I wanted something all in one, with the ability to customize the tank to have a refugium, and space for a skimmer and reactor. That's when I found the Innovative Marine tanks, and I ordered one from my local fish store after a ton of research.

Specs
  • Innovative Marine 40 Gallon Fusion Tank
    Innovative Marine 40 Gallon Stand
    InTank Media Caddy (converted to refugium)
    Innovative Marine AUQA MagnaFuge Refugium Light
    Tunze 9004 Skimmer
    SBReefLights 16" Extreme WiFi LED Light

Current Stock
  • 10 Astrea Turbo Snails
    5 Nassarius Snails
    5 Cerith Snails
    5 Trochus Snails
    5 Blue Leg Hermits
    8 Red Leg Hermits
    1 Frostbite Ocellaris Clownfish
    1 Black Ice Ocellaris Clownfish

So I picked up the 40 gallon, loaded it into my car, and began to set it up.

Added about 30lbs of live rock, and plan to add a little more eventually.

Added around 25lbs of sand, which I made a complete mess with.

Filled it up, and began the cycling process. Added some BioSpira, and ghost fed every other day.

The clarity of the glass in this tank is INSANE, it's almost like it's not even there. Coming from such a basic tank, I'm still in awe every time I look at it.

Once it cycled, I decided it was time to add some fish, and my clean up crew. I added my clean up crew over the course of three weeks, and added fish on the third week. One Frostbite clown and what the local fish store and I believe is Black Ice clown.

While drip acclimating, they seemed to get along immediately

Added them in!

Corals will go in next weekend from the other tank.

I have a ball of chaeto in the InTank media caddy, I'll try to take a picture to upload of how I have it set up when I update next.

Plans for the future
  • Upgraded return pump from the 476GPH stock one to a Sicce Syncra pump rated at 576GPH
    Innovative Marine AUQA MiniMax Media Reactor
    EcoTech MP40QD Powerhead (if needed)
    Either a yellow head jawfish or a sand sifting goby, haven't decided which route to go with yet regarding livestock

Thanks for reading!

SpoonSpider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clownfish, lps, reef tank, saltwater tank, sps