Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2016, 01:26 PM   #1
zachtos
Registered Member

Exclamation New wavemaker pump turns on/off every 20 seconds

I have 2 TUNZE Comline Wavebox 6214 brand new (about 30 days of use). One of them turns off randomly every minute or two for about 20 seconds. I think the auto protect feature keeps triggering even though there is nothing in there. I tried switching power supplies, switching channels on the wavemaker, and even swapping to the spare wavemaker controller. When I unplug one of the wavebox, it does not seem to trigger the autoshutoff...

Is it something to do with dual wavemaker? Do I need to RMA this pump?

Frustrated and out of ideas, not encouraging after spending over $700.

Current Tank Info: 300G reef under construction
zachtos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2016, 10:20 PM   #2
zachtos
Registered Member

I tried just leaving the one wavebox on tonight, and it still stalled a few times. I think I need an RMA on a 30 day old pump!

It was cleaned with vinegar last night to be sure, but no buildup or anything anyways.

Unread 10/17/2016, 09:12 AM   #3
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Are you sure the potentiometer on the pump connector is at full power and the front housing of the pump is not coming loose so the propeller can bind? We can get this resolved and I will make it fairly painless, but lets try to figure out why this might be happening first.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2016, 02:07 PM   #4
zachtos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
Are you sure the potentiometer on the pump connector is at full power and the front housing of the pump is not coming loose so the propeller can bind? We can get this resolved and I will make it fairly painless, but lets try to figure out why this might be happening first.

Regarding the housing, a few days ago I disassembled and soaked in vinegar, then reassembled, no change. I see no sign of impeller binding, and it happens only sometimes when running alone, and then very frequently when running two waveboxes.

I have the wave controller pots at full power (not the little red ambient light sensor trigger threshold).

I am not using the light meter currently. I prefer to just have the waves on X hours a day, but I would have to plug into a wall timer for that first.

Unread 10/17/2016, 02:15 PM   #5
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The pot I am referring to is the one on the pump cord end, the small knob on the connector box. The pots on the wave controller do nothing if the controller is in wavemode as it will always be 100% and 0% in wavemode.

Can you email your receipt to Tunze at sbcglobal dot net?

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 06/12/2018, 09:40 AM   #6
zachtos
Registered Member

Hello, this exact same problem has re-surfaced. I had the pump that cycles on/off warranty replaced, but now it is doing the same thing again.

Is this a recurring issue with Tunze?

Can I get a replacement again, or one that has the faulty temperature sensor bypassed?

Unread 06/12/2018, 10:03 AM   #7
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Their is no temp sensor in the motor, there is one in the power supply. Can I get your name so I can look up our original contact? The warranty is 2 years from date of purchase. Are you sure the pump is clean and the metal shaft is in place in the pump and has not come loose? Usually this is caused by a mechanical issue, the rotor is not turning smoothly due to a loose shaft, calcium deposits or debris. This is a very uncommon issue unless the pump is neglected and calcium builds up to the point the shaft gets pulled loose. The pump sensors only detect that the magnet is spinning at the set speed.

Unread 06/12/2018, 10:12 AM   #8
zachtos
Registered Member

Zachary S. Dickerson
AquaCave
Order #100043066
Order Date: August 28, 2016

I have 2 of these wavebox in my 300 reef. I swap power supply, no difference, only plug 1 of 2 into tunze timer/wavecontroller, no difference. So I think it is the motor itself. Same one I replaced last time.

I soak it in vinegar (see no deposits), it runs for a while, then off 30 sec, then repeat, after a while it just stops. No idea why, hear no grinding or see any imperfections. Just normal use. Possibly shaft is loose? I don't know why, or have any control why that would have occurred.

Tags
broken tunze, wavemaker, wavemaker on off