Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/23/2018, 12:38 PM   #1
Mekong
Registered Member

Thinking of getting back into the hobby: All in one tanks, are there good skimmers?

I had to take down my tanks and sell because of a move. I am now settled and wanting to get back into the hobby. My prior tank turned into a monster of a project with a 80g reef, 40g sump, and 55g fuge.

I want to keep things simple this time and am wondering about all in one tanks. Are there any skimmers that are actually good that fit in the return section of tanks like JBJ/InnovativeMarine/Colbat?

I ask because a decade ago I started with a remora pro, and it really kind of sucked. It was loud and didn't skim out that much . I upgraded to a drilled tank and got a real skimmer and there was a huge difference. Have things improved to have a good skimmer that could fit in one of these tank built in sump?

Current Tank Info: 90g Reef from 2004-2013.

Last edited by Mekong; 06/23/2018 at 01:04 PM.
Mekong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 12:09 AM   #2
Leahfish
Registered Member

I have seen a lot of Tunze 9002-9004's (I believe those are the models) used for the IM Tanks. IM also makes a skimmer with mixed reviews.

Leahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2018, 09:14 AM   #3
Aquavaj
Registered Member

I have a tunze 9002 that had the airline modded by the previous owner. It was dry for the 2yr I got out of the hobby and I'm breaking it in for about 2 weeks now. It was always a bit inconsistent where it may run fine for a few days and out of the blue it'll overflow.

The housing is slim but the collection cup is much bigger so it may stick above the top on smaller tanks. My compartments are 4" wide so the cup fits inside and barely visible.

I heard the HOB skimmers work a lot better though.

Aquavaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2018, 08:05 AM   #4
coryjac0b
Registered Member

I have a JBJ rimless 30 that has been up for about 6 months. I love the tank. I run a tunze 9004 dc in the left chamber. It fits in there with little room to spare, but it performs great and it's quiet.

coryjac0b is offline   Reply With Quote