Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2018, 03:45 PM   #1
EDJFA
Registered Member

JBJ ATO float replacement questions

The floats switches on my JBJ Auto Top Off have stopped working. I can call JBJ and get replacements, but I have no idea how much they're going to be. But I know they'd send me the right parts.

I can get five switches on Amazon for under $10 with free shipping. I can also order them from Bulk Reef Supply or some other similar place for about $10 each plus shipping.

Any reason the cheap ones from Amazon won't work?

The JBJ supplied floats are wired with RJ22 type connectors that plug into the JBJ head unit. I can get those type of connectors from Amazon for cheap as well. I would assume it's just a simple crimp style connector. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Any thoughts on which direction to go?

Unread 06/08/2018, 03:35 AM   #2
babybull
Registered Member

BRS has free shipping option. I always use it and get my delivery within a week.

Current Tank Info: 50g cube, Oceanrevive T247, Eshopps sump and skimmer, Mag 7, Tunze ATO
babybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 04:42 AM   #3
Pife
Registered Member

https://premiumaquatics.com/products...RoCYAgQAvD_BwE

15 bucks. I'd buy the direct replacement.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 08:30 AM   #4
EDJFA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
https://premiumaquatics.com/products...RoCYAgQAvD_BwE

15 bucks. I'd buy the direct replacement.
Perfect. Thanks.

Unread 06/08/2018, 08:34 AM   #5
mpgrant77
Registered Member

Technically you can do what you are asking. It is just a simple current loop through the switch. The float either opens the circuit (called normally closed) when it makes contact or closes the circuit (called normally open). The important part is purchasing the correct switch normally open or normally closed. Having said that I would buy direct replacements if you want to continue to use the JBJ setup. If you have an apex controller you can remove the JBJ auto top off and and use the apex to do the same thing. You use the I/O ports to wire the switches and run an ATO pump off one of the controlled outlets, that's the way I run it. That way I can use the float switches to add additional safety logic to protect things like running the return pump dry or notification if the sump goes full (like a failed return pump). This gives you more options and better utilizes the apex.

Current Tank Info: 120gal mix reef
mpgrant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 12:33 PM   #6
EDJFA
Registered Member

I don't have an Apex yet. Trying to keep things as simple for myself as possible. I don't have wifi at the office, so a lot of the warning type features would be useless for me. I may add one at some point, but for now it's just a system of totally separate equipment.

Unread 06/08/2018, 08:14 PM   #7
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDJFA View Post
I don't have an Apex yet. Trying to keep things as simple for myself as possible. I don't have wifi at the office, so a lot of the warning type features would be useless for me. I may add one at some point, but for now it's just a system of totally separate equipment.
I have nothing in wifi for my apex. It is not needed at all.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote