Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

View Poll Results: Apex vs. Reef keeper
Apex Fusion 16 100.00%
Reef Keeper Elite 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 07/26/2017, 08:21 AM   #1
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Apex Wifi vs. Reef keeper Elite

Lot of people say "you get what you pay for". But these are 2 different companies and I am new to hobby. My interest is to monitor pH, salinity, temperature. I have a JBJ 45 and plan is for mixed reef. So with the huge difference of 799$ vs. 369$ my head is

What amazes me is the data driven approach in this hobby. No guess work when you know what is happening in your tank all the time. You feel the sense of connection. So please share your experiences with either of the systems and why you chose them. Ease of use, Budget, Expansion, maintenance etc.

Thank you all for your input and help.

FishD@ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 09:11 AM   #2
Cheapreef
Registered Member

I ran a RKE for awhile then got a great deal on a Apex Gold, they should not even be sold as a compeating product. The Apex is far easier to use/setup and expand.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 09:29 AM   #3
tinfoilsoldier
Registered Member

I have both, and while the Apex isn't perfect, it is far more programmable and easy to do advanced programming on the Apex than is possible on the RKE.

My Apex never false alarms.
My RKE has false alarms weekly.

Current Tank Info: 180G at work, and RSM250 with basement sump at home
tinfoilsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 11:40 AM   #4
miktrav
Registered Member

I purchased a used Apex, it hasn't even arrived yet, after doing tons of research. Everything I have read during my pre purchase research says they are great and provide peace of mind. After my purchase I began to research the negative side of the Apex and while there are a lot of complaints if you look the majority of people and articles I have read highly recommend the Apex over anything else. A lot of people in the Apex complaints thread I have read seem to prefer the GHL Profilux.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon RR, LPS, Softies, ASM Skimmer, Mag 9 Return Pump
miktrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 02:19 PM   #5
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
I ran a RKE for awhile then got a great deal on a Apex Gold, they should not even be sold as a compeating product. The Apex is far easier to use/setup and expand.
Thanks Cheapreef. Not even competing product then. Understood.

Unread 07/26/2017, 02:22 PM   #6
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilsoldier View Post
I have both, and while the Apex isn't perfect, it is far more programmable and easy to do advanced programming on the Apex than is possible on the RKE.

My Apex never false alarms.
My RKE has false alarms weekly.
Thank you tinfoilsoldier. I plan to program my Kessil, ATO, Wavemakers and dosing pumps. Not copy paste but do work on logic. So Apex is easier then.

Unread 07/26/2017, 02:26 PM   #7
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miktrav View Post
I purchased a used Apex, it hasn't even arrived yet, after doing tons of research. Everything I have read during my pre purchase research says they are great and provide peace of mind. After my purchase I began to research the negative side of the Apex and while there are a lot of complaints if you look the majority of people and articles I have read highly recommend the Apex over anything else. A lot of people in the Apex complaints thread I have read seem to prefer the GHL Profilux.
Thank you for the reply miktrav. Now these negative reviews are because something malfunctioned? I guess as long as we dont mess around so much and or know what you want these should function rite? I am always a bit nervous with used equipment, but then hey they all work. I will check with you again on this Apex. I have 2-3 months before I get one. I just started my tank cycling.

Unread 07/28/2017, 08:38 PM   #8
miktrav
Registered Member

I got my used unit today. It is only a few months old, the prior owner sent me a photo of the receipt, still under warranty, and saved me about $200. I am very happy about my decision to purchase used so far.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon RR, LPS, Softies, ASM Skimmer, Mag 9 Return Pump
miktrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 09:46 AM   #9
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Make sure when you set it up you use the "Heartbeat" monitor feature, it's turned off by default.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 07:08 PM   #10
saf1
Registered Member

May have been a good idea to list your requirements. Not brands. Several equal footing controllers out there to include open source. For example I had an original Neptune back in 2000 that used the x-10 outlets. I thought it was great and it served me well until my GSD decided it was a chew toy Good customer support, reliable, lots of options, and easy to program.

I replaced it with the reefangel open source controller. Similar product offering to start with but more difficult to program in compared to neptunes. Anyway it wasn't difficult to set up and get the basic functionality going. Over time I started to include weather, storms, lightning strikes, etc. Fun but not necessary, right? Well, added WiFi, then another dimming expansion. Price started to add up a bit. Still going strong but I need a bit more and I am tired of unplugging the WiFi to update via the same cable connection (I don't want to buy the Bluetooth expansion).

So in with a tank upgrade I decided that maybe it is time to upgrade the controller. I have a list of options I'm looking for to start with based on the components I'm going to monitor. Apex is one. ProfiLux is another one I was looking at. Or, keep the current controller and buy the Bluetooth expansion (cheaper anyway). Because I want a network jack (I am not a fan of WiFi) that ruled out the ProfiLux. Similar price, similar package. Lacking a requirement, well, it is removed. So while I like the looks of the ProfiLux 100 x better I am going with the Apex...go figure.

Edit for vote. Between the two you listed it is a no brainer decision. Apex. For so many reasons.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef

Last edited by saf1; 07/29/2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Edit: voted...
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 03:47 PM   #11
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miktrav View Post
I got my used unit today. It is only a few months old, the prior owner sent me a photo of the receipt, still under warranty, and saved me about $200. I am very happy about my decision to purchase used so far.

miktrav I got my APEX on Wednesday. Picked up from a local sale for 625$. Very happy with it. Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 08/25/2017, 03:48 PM   #12
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Thank you everyone for recommending APEX. My tank needs are basic at this point and I'm sure this will help me expand as I progress along. I got my unit from a local sale for 625$. Used for 4-5 months. In process of calibrating probes and connecting my Lights and wavemakers etx. Thanks again!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
apex controller, mixed reef, need advice, newtohobby, reefkeeper controller