Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2016, 04:10 PM   #51
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Oh boy, more stuff!

I'm pretty surprised on the 600w of heaters, but I'm not too surprised. It'll be worth it in the summer though!

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 05:20 PM   #52
soulpatch
Registered Member

Mind you I don't have my skimmer pump our lighting on the tank so I might not need it. But then it will be moved to the moving station, qt tank, our kept as a spare

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 09:53 PM   #53
Teecz
Registered Member

Hey soul what LEDs are those your link to Amazon does not work

Teecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 09:58 PM   #54
soulpatch
Registered Member

This is the name on the amazon page but it does state currently unavailable:

TaoTronics TT-SL001 150 LED Strip Light Kit, Multi Color

Unread 01/28/2016, 01:02 PM   #55
soulpatch
Registered Member

The tank salinity was brought in check last night and temp was at 77 so kicked off cycle. I poured in some ammonia. I will be testing tonight and pouring more in as needed to get up to 2ppm in ammonia then sitting back and letting the magic happen as I continue to prep other items in the tank.

I will also be moving over some marine pure I have been seeding for a couple weeks in the biocube to help speed things along.

Unread 01/29/2016, 10:10 AM   #56
soulpatch
Registered Member

Cycle started last night. Dosed ammonia up to 2PPM and threw the marine pure blocks I had seeding into my refugium portion of the sump. Now to let everything do its thing.

Thought about getting Dr Tims or such but honestly I have plenty of time to let things go. I need to move my live stock into the QT tank from the biocube so I can dip corals to remove algae and any potential pest. Few dips while in the QT for the next couple weeks and they should be ready to go into the big guy. Fish will just wait it out as they are healthy.

Moving to the QT also allows me to set up the apex and such on the big tank as I will have no need for it on the QT tank other then to run the Kessil but I should have enough cord for that.

Plans for this weekend:
Finally mount Kessils and T5 unit in Canopy. Need to do some measuring on the ATI unit but should be good to go.
Install ATO on big tank - Just laziness I haven't thrown it on yet.

If I feel adventurous then I will take down the biocube and move things to the QT tank. I need to get some colonies off of rock and such which will be an event but needs done sooner or later.

Unread 01/29/2016, 08:40 PM   #57
soulpatch
Registered Member

Bought supplies to mount the ATI on sliders so should be a fun project.

And to ensure this is all going in the right direction I also ordered some fish to come in which will go through QT and treatment:

Powder Blue
Naso
Black Ice Clown

I need to decide on some other fish as well but they will start me off.

Unread 01/30/2016, 04:13 PM   #58
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Very nice. you'll just have to figure out a methodology of keeping the tangs at bay while you add new fishes after that. They tend to dominate the tank. I guess you'll worry about that when you get there, there are a few things to do to distract them when you add new fishes, like putting a mirror in front of the tank, etc.

Unread 01/30/2016, 07:32 PM   #59
soulpatch
Registered Member

Yeah not tip worried about it. I can use animation boxes and such as needed

Unread 01/30/2016, 08:20 PM   #60
soulpatch
Registered Member

Stupid auto correct... acclimation boxes

Unread 01/31/2016, 08:10 PM   #61
soulpatch
Registered Member

OK well I got everything mounted in the canopy but did not put in the ATO. I need some airline for it as I got it used but it did not come with the actual line. Regardless I spent the weekend and a couple trips to Home Depot to get everything in the canopy done.

SOme issues I ran into revolve around the Kessils as I wanted them on the sides angled in but I had to move them to the front due to the eurobrace. I put them on the door though so when I lift it up they are out of the way to slide the T5 unit out.

Enough chat here are the pics:

Space on the left side for exhausting the heat from the unit:

Fans suck the air in. I wish I could run the power through the rear of the canopy but I didn't want to cut a large opening to get the ballast through.

Here you can see where everything goes:

Unit slid out:

Hard to see but the plexiglass can slide out the left side when the light fixture is pulled out.

Last edited by soulpatch; 08/09/2017 at 10:31 AM.
Unread 02/01/2016, 01:36 AM   #62
Teecz
Registered Member

Looks sick I love the light setup... I had a rough time time week with my build. I had to take a break before I punched a hole in the glass lol

Teecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2016, 08:39 AM   #63
soulpatch
Registered Member

I was close this weekend to throwing the light across the room. I had to cut those metal supports and cut one too short. I also had to punch a ton of holes in the brackets and such to keep everything secure. Then to top it off I did not account for the eurobrace so I mounted everything and went to put the canopy back on and the Kessils tapped the bracing. UGH.

So braced up the canopy and had to remove the Kessils and find a spot for them to go where they could angle in but not be a nuisance to the T5 or touch the Eurobrace. Nearly pulled my hair out and was sitting with my beer staring in anger at it when the wife comes down and asks why I dont mount them to the door of the canopy. I both wanted to kill her and kiss her at the same time. The door gave me a couple of inches in leeway and since it flips up I get the lights out of the way to slide out the T5. Win win

I bought the panel to mount my electronics to but I did not get around to that over the weekend. I need to test fit my extra EB8 and other components and test mount in the stand. Then I can move over the Apex from my cube. The only thing really running on the apex right now is the heater, temp probe, and Kessil. I have the skimmer, reactor, and ato offline as the tank preps to either be sold or connected to the 150.

The idea with the panel is to have a false door behind the far left door that is on a hinged slider that opens outward and slides back into the stand. Think doors on entertainment centers around the TV. The apex display will be mounted on the outside of the stand but otherwise everything else will be in stand on the panel. Since I am running all neptune I wont need the other controllers showing. The RW4 in the refugium will be set and forget so not worried about that one. Same with the gyre in the frag tank.

Regardless for this week is to get the ATO online, put bulbs into the T5, and wire the 2 Kessils together so I can make any edits needed to the lighting. Also start the panel test fit so I can do that install this weekend.

Unread 02/02/2016, 09:14 AM   #64
Mr.Tan
Registered Member

dang, i've really missed alot by not knowing this section of the forum existed LOL. Everything looks awesome so far.

Mr.Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2016, 09:35 AM   #65
soulpatch
Registered Member

Yes I believe this section is newer as most of these build threads used to be scattered in various sub forums.

Unread 02/02/2016, 09:42 AM   #66
WDKegge
Registered Member

Hey soulpatch, I just posted MY build to move from my biocube just now, quit following me around to the other forums! Just kidding, looks great man, funny how we both outgrew our biocubes.

WDKegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2016, 09:50 AM   #67
soulpatch
Registered Member

I was here first. Stop stalking me bro. LOL

Biocubes have their place but I need more space for my corals and fish. Still going to keep it though it will be plumbed into the main tank as a frag tank.

I can see doing a lagoon tank or such upstairs in my house as a annenome clown fish only tank. I think it would be cool to watch and the daughter would like it. Need this one up and stable first though.

For the actual tank my ammonia is still reading high so cycle is still going. I will start testing nitrites as well tonight but I suspect that it will be a bit longer before cycle completes. I am considering getting some Dr. Tims or other bacteria suppliment to speed things along though right now I am not in a rush. Once my fish get ordered in though I will be on a sort of deadline to be ready for them.

Still working through potential clean up crew as well. Currently thinking (forgive misspelled names):

Astrea snails
nassurious snails
Cerith snails
fighting conch (1)
Mexican turbo (2)
Nerite Snails
Porcelin crab (5)
Brittle star (2)
serpant star (1)
pep shrimp
cleaner shrimp
Probably do some dwarf hermits as well

Unread 02/02/2016, 10:14 AM   #68
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I still want to do a lagoon/dedicated anemone tank too at some point. A nice carpet anemone and just inverts and fishes that live in it, and maybe some sea grasses...

List of cleaners looks pretty good. I would avoid the nerite snails, porcelin crabs, and pepermint shrimps unless you really need any of them. Nerites look like they can get into trouble, porcelin are crabs so I don't trust them, and peppermint shrimp can eat corals or steal food from corals by opening up the coral and pulling the food out through the tear in the flesh. If you have aiptasia, then fine, but if you don't, I wouldn't add them.

Also, how are you qualifying the difference between brittle and serpent stars? I imagine that brittle you mean the tan/brown/black striped ones, and serpent star you mean the green ones? The green ones eat fishes, don't add it.

I loved having a conch, they're really cool and eat all algae within the bottom 3" of the tank.

You'll just need to make sure the tank is really mature enough and has enough algae when you add these guys. I think you'll want to purchase maybe basic snails in the beginning, then slowly add more of them as time goes on. The conch and potentially stars can easily starve to death in a new tank (same with linckia star fishes).

Unread 02/02/2016, 10:23 AM   #69
soulpatch
Registered Member

The asterea and ceriths will be only things added at first.

I like porcelins and since they are filter feeders I havent had any issues with them in my cube and they look cool.

I have nerites now from reef cleaners and never had an issue with them. I get them around the rim at times but otherwise they are fine. I can avoid them and add more other types without issue.

The pep shrimp would be added later if needed though planning on the spend for them now. The main will be cleaner shrimp as I happen to really like them.

You are right on the stars. Brittle will be all I go with for now though I want something like a sea star that will be more out for the daughter. I can deal with some compatibility issues if needed depending on what they are.

Conch will be added later when the tank is mature as I want it more so to keep the sand bed churned up as I will have some dead spots in the tank

Unread 02/02/2016, 10:23 AM   #70
welshintheusa
Registered Member

Looking really good. Its great to look outside the box.

Unread 02/03/2016, 08:02 AM   #71
soulpatch
Registered Member

Thanks Welsh. The entire intent with this build was to take my time and make sure equipment was done right. I patch worked things on my nano and with this being a bigger tank it would annoy me to more as things would stick out that much more.

My tank is still very high on ammonia so cycle still going strong. I did order in some prodibio start up to try this time. I dont need the cycle completed or to rush it but I wanted to try it to see if it works. I have been looking at an empty tank for 4 months now so it will be nice to have something in it even if just snails...

My Tunze tubing comes in today so I can install the ATO. That is on the docket for tonight so I can stop topping off nightly and only worry about topping off the nano.

My skimmer sold last night from the nano giving me some money towards the fish and cuc. If my LEDs from the nano ever sell that will be money for a web cam so I can keep an eye on the tank when away from home. Hard to find a decent priced camera that can pan, tilt, and zoom though. If anyone knows of one for a decent price let me know.

Unread 02/05/2016, 12:56 PM   #72
soulpatch
Registered Member

ATO was finally installed. I also hung one of my reactors in the stand. The tank was dosed with stability and prodibio start up so wondering timelines on all that.

The LED and skimmer sold from my nano and as such I will be trying to take down the apex this weekend and moving it over to the big tank, hooking up my lights to test fire them, mounting the WAV units, and finally building and putting on the screen top.

Unread 02/05/2016, 01:33 PM   #73
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Prodibio is good and should move things along. I'm not sure what stability is (some seachem product that I always believed to be bunk, even though I don't remember what it does), but hopefully it helps too. You shouldn't be seeing ammonia much more than after a few days, particularly with high flow and bacteria supplementation.

Unread 02/05/2016, 01:59 PM   #74
soulpatch
Registered Member

Flow is not too high right now which is the reason for the rush to get the WAV units up and running. I have perhaps 10-15x turnover right now.

Unread 02/05/2016, 03:57 PM   #75
DarthReefer27
Registered Member

question for your dosing pump connection to the dosing reservoirs from BAO. the BAO containers have hard RO tubing coming out but the dosing pumps use softer tubing. perhpas I am making this harder than it is, but I can't seem to figure out the best way to do it.