Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/30/2017, 10:55 PM   #1
FirstContact
Registered Member

GHL Profilux 4 or Neptune Apex

Familiar with Fusion. Is there anywhere to go to get experience with GHL’s software. I want the best software experience possible. My only concerns are the GHL’s forum seems empty compared to Neptune’s and Fusion seems to make everything so easy.

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef 100g Rubbermaid Sump, 20g Refugium; previous tank: 46g Drilled; Self Plumbed, Birds Nest, Anchor, Xenia, Zoas, Yuma Yuma Ricordea, Chalice, Mushrooms, Brain, Acan, Anenome Plate; Clams, Other Inverts, Fish, Live Rock
FirstContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2017, 12:37 AM   #2
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Just download GHL Control Center and poke around. There's a manual, too.

Coming from Neptune Aquacontroller III and Reef Angel, Profilux is different. There's less emphasis on coding, but there is logic. Most of the usual stuff you'll need is already coded and you'll just access it through their GUI. It can take some time to understand their philosophy, but once you do, you'll appreciate the power and more importantly, the stability it provides.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2017, 05:56 AM   #3
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

I’ve owned an apex and now own a Profilux 4. I prefer the Profilux 4 by a long shot. It is more stable and easier to configure.

ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2017, 06:21 AM   #4
LQT
Registered Member

I would love to switch to a P4. Love that German engineering. I just have way too much invested (modules and power bars) in my Apex Classic at this point to justify making the switch

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2017, 10:04 AM   #5
FirstContact
Registered Member

Sounds great everyone! I’ll download the control center and look into it this weekend!

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef 100g Rubbermaid Sump, 20g Refugium; previous tank: 46g Drilled; Self Plumbed, Birds Nest, Anchor, Xenia, Zoas, Yuma Yuma Ricordea, Chalice, Mushrooms, Brain, Acan, Anenome Plate; Clams, Other Inverts, Fish, Live Rock
Unread 12/01/2017, 08:56 PM   #6
jimmy n
Registered Member

Apex is easier to use. The support is better. The profilux is nice but very hard to figure out if you aren't handy around a computer.

jimmy n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2017, 12:08 AM   #7
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy n View Post
Apex is easier to use. The support is better. The profilux is nice but very hard to figure out if you aren't handy around a computer.
Support is almost certainly better. Not sure about the computer comment, though. I'd say it's very anti computer logic. That was my issue with it, initially. You need to work within the Profilux framework and try to deduce German logic, which is good, just not always what you'd expect.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2017, 01:47 AM   #8
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

Profilux user here. I've relied on this controller for more than 10 years now and so far this controller hasn't let me down. No hardware failures, no outlets sticking ON or doing anything it's not supposed to, it's been reliable since day 1. Look up hardware failures for both controllers and you'll see quite the difference there. I started with a Profilux Plus II, then later upgraded to Profilux III.

I've worked with the Apex before and I won't say that it's hard to setup or easy. I won't say the same about the ProfiLux either. Describing something as "Easy to setup" is subjective to me because everybody will learn differently. Both controllers will do what most are looking for and more, yet they each have different ways of setting it up.

I found that the Apex "setup style" just wasn't for me. Apex needs to have lines of code written to get it to do what you want. Whereas, the Profilux uses drop down boxes to create and assign functions. I had an easier time understanding the Profilux's way of setup, than with the Apex.

To be fair though, when I worked with the Apex, I already had a ProfiLux and was accustomed to the way it was setup. Looking at the Apex setup style was foreign to me because I was already use to the drop-down boxes and couldn't find it in the Apex options. Since you haven't owned either, I think you're in a better position because you'd be going into a controller without a pre-set expectation of what "setup" should look like. Hopefully that makes sense.

In the end, here's why I've stuck with the ProfiLux through the years:
- Super reliable. Not 1 failure in over 10 years.
- Compact design. I don't need to go out and buy a bunch of separate modules.My ProfiLux has 2 expansion card slots should I ever need to add more probes, sensors, etc.
- Backwards compatibility. Their new ProfiLux 4 still supports their gen 1 dosers, older powerbars which if I remember correctly was available about 10 years ago. In addition to that the upcoming KH director will still be compatible with my Profilux 3, a controller that was released more than 5 years ago.
- Many connection options. I can access my Profilux through the PC software (which works well by the way), myGHL cloud, Webserver, and Profilux app. I can even access the controller settings from the controller display itself. I'm not restricted to just one option.
- 2 years of warranty. Even though I've never had to use it, knowing this gives me a sense of security and confidence in the product. To me it shows that GHL is confident in their products lasting for the long run. If I'm not mistaken, this is the longest warranty offered by any controller company.

US support is also very good. They have a US based team to handle customer support and have YouTube videos also which go a long way with getting the Profilux up and running.

Current Tank Info: Rimless 67g | GHL Profilux 3.1T eX | 2x GHL Doser 2 dosers | 2xGHL Mitras LX7 LED | Abyzz a100 | Bubble King DC 150 | 2x Vortech MP40w QD | Fauna Marin Zeomatic 2.2ltr | Fauna Marin Zeolight System | Fauna Marin Balling Light Method
ReefRockerLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 10:19 PM   #9
FirstContact
Registered Member

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your posts!

I downloaded the GHL Control Center, watched a couple of GHL videos, and read the standard manual, and the programming manual. It seems like Apex is more plug and play than Profilux. Someone suggested to me that Profilux has better hardware, but when it comes to software Apex has the upper hand.

I’ll be trying to look at the My GHL cloud and app this week.

Unread 03/22/2018, 04:02 AM   #10
OzFisho
Registered Member

I've been using the Profilux4 for about six months now and have a long and ongoing list of problems.

The most frustrating thing though? GHL backup and support is really bad. It takes days to get a reply on their own help forum and then they just pass the buck and hope the problem will go away. For evidence, check out the dozens of unanswered threads on their forum (http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/forum.php) and the many frustrated users.

So far I have had:
- two sensor cables not work when brand new
- a powerbar fail
- the doser continually goes out of calibration
- wi-fi connectivity is dreadful and only works around 50% of the time
- repeated phantom alarms that the salinity level has magically dropped to 40 (but goes back up to 53 in a matter of seconds)
- a leak detector which registers leaks when there aren't any.

With the most recent problem my Powerbar has failed and GHL just fobbed me off and has no interest in fixing it even though it is just 2 months old. Several other users have reported this same problem yet GHL keep selling the powerbars with this known problem. Who treats their customers like that?

I will never buy or recommend GHL equipment again.

OzFisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 05:39 AM   #11
LQT
Registered Member

Looks like you’re down under, so I don’t know if you have a GHL rep down there, but try directly emailing Marco@GHLUSA.com or Vinny@GHLUSA.com Perhaps they could lend you a hand with your troubles.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 08:08 AM   #12
Mrramsey
NEO Reefer

What did you end up with? Profilux or Apex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstContact View Post
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your posts!

I downloaded the GHL Control Center, watched a couple of GHL videos, and read the standard manual, and the programming manual. It seems like Apex is more plug and play than Profilux. Someone suggested to me that Profilux has better hardware, but when it comes to software Apex has the upper hand.

I’ll be trying to look at the My GHL cloud and app this week.

Current Tank Info: 120g In-Wall | BA Overflow | 55g Sump | SWC Extreme 150 Skimmer | DIY ATO | 2 Jebao RW-8| Fluval SP6 | Photon 48v2 LED | GFO and Carbon
Mrramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 09:31 AM   #13
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFisho View Post
I've been using the Profilux4 for about six months now and have a long and ongoing list of problems.

The most frustrating thing though? GHL backup and support is really bad. It takes days to get a reply on their own help forum and then they just pass the buck and hope the problem will go away. For evidence, check out the dozens of unanswered threads on their forum (http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/forum.php) and the many frustrated users.

So far I have had:
- two sensor cables not work when brand new
- a powerbar fail
- the doser continually goes out of calibration
- wi-fi connectivity is dreadful and only works around 50% of the time
- repeated phantom alarms that the salinity level has magically dropped to 40 (but goes back up to 53 in a matter of seconds)
- a leak detector which registers leaks when there aren't any.

With the most recent problem my Powerbar has failed and GHL just fobbed me off and has no interest in fixing it even though it is just 2 months old. Several other users have reported this same problem yet GHL keep selling the powerbars with this known problem. Who treats their customers like that?

I will never buy or recommend GHL equipment again.
You might want to join the GHL facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GHLO...?ref=bookmarks

I am surprised by your sensor cable issue. That is very uncharacteristic of GHL. Same with your calibration issue Their Dosers have been long coveted as the best (most dependable) in the industry. I can't help but wonder if the above two issues may be user related. Calibration needs to be done at the same speed you are running your doser at. You can't calibrate at one speed and then program the doser to run at a different speed. Also tubing wear needs to be taken into consideration.

Your salinity probe is likely the result of air bubbles or algae buildup on the probes. This is a very common issue with all controllers. The probes need to be located in a dark area of the sump that is devoid of micro bubbles. Some users (both Apex and GHL) have made foam baskets for the CondX probes to mitigate micro bubbles which cause erratic behavior with the probes. You issues with your leak detection probes is also a very common issue with all leak detection probes on all controller manufacturers. Probes placed on concrete for example should be plated on a folded up paper towel. Concrete is conductive. Carpet not so much but if the carpet has been wet in the past with salt water, the same can hold true. Anyhow, whether that helps you or not, I have no idea. Here is a link to the user group I mentioned above. It's dedicated to those who run GHL products and there are a lot of very knowledgeable people there.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2018, 08:09 PM   #14
FirstContact
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrramsey View Post
What did you end up with? Profilux or Apex?
I've been on the fence and waiting for Vertex to release Cerebra V2. I think after everything considered over the last couple months I would pick GHL. It's actually in my shopping cart as of this week: Profilux 4 Mega set, extra power bar, KH Director and Doser 2.1. It's been a couple years since I did corals and I really want to start filling my DT with corals again in a major way. I have a few frags in QT right now and plan on purchasing more once they're out.

A special thanks to slief for advice and insight about the pros and cons of each system!

Last edited by FirstContact; 04/01/2018 at 09:26 PM.
Unread 04/02/2018, 03:04 AM   #15
Shanet
Registered Member

I have had a Profilux 3EX and now a P4 as well as a Doser 2. Mine both work perfectly, never had a problem with either of them, I consider them the best. As far as support, the reason a lot of questions don't get answered is because they are plain "Dumb" questions that are answered in the manuals if people take the time to read or are just dumb questions.

Current Tank Info: 180g - Regal Angel, Majestic Angel, Emperor Angel, Flame Angel pair, Flame Hawk.
Shanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2018, 08:48 AM   #16
Mrramsey
NEO Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstContact View Post
I've been on the fence and waiting for Vertex to release Cerebra V2. I think after everything considered over the last couple months I would pick GHL. It's actually in my shopping cart as of this week: Profilux 4 Mega set, extra power bar, KH Director and Doser 2.1. It's been a couple years since I did corals and I really want to start filling my DT with corals again in a major way. I have a few frags in QT right now and plan on purchasing more once they're out.

A special thanks to slief for advice and insight about the pros and cons of each system!
Thanks John, I also have had mine sitting in the cart for a few days now. I just re-scaped my 4 year old aquarium. Mostly soft corals but looking to move into LPS and SPS. Still deciding on a second power bar at the moment. but I guess when I really think about it there is not much I need to power on and off other than the Skimmer, ATO and Heaters. Lights have their own controller, as do my wave pumps however I would like to be able to program the wave pumps to a lower speed at night and during feeding.

Current Tank Info: 120g In-Wall | BA Overflow | 55g Sump | SWC Extreme 150 Skimmer | DIY ATO | 2 Jebao RW-8| Fluval SP6 | Photon 48v2 LED | GFO and Carbon

Last edited by Mrramsey; 04/02/2018 at 08:54 AM.
Mrramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 06:15 AM   #17
FLSharkvic
Registered Member

I have decided to drop and sell all of my Apex gear in order to get the ProfiLux4 Ultimate kit and what a great move it was and such a huge upgrade. Your comparing apples to oranges! The GHL is far superior in my opinion than any other controller on the market. I also, use and run there new GHL Maxi doser for my AWC's. Its a bit complicated get it up and running but ones you do you just plug in your float switches to the back of the P4 instead of having 6 modules. The p4 looks like a the back of a cable box..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg backoftheProfiLux4.jpg (44.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Back of the Maxi SA.jpg (41.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6186.jpg (61.1 KB, 34 views)
FLSharkvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 07:50 PM   #18
FirstContact
Registered Member

I ended up purchasing a Profilux set also. Still in the box though; I haven’t had time to set it up, but read through the manuals once. I picked up a 4 pump doser with it.

Unread 07/06/2018, 07:54 PM   #19
FirstContact
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrramsey View Post
Thanks John, I also have had mine sitting in the cart for a few days now. I just re-scaped my 4 year old aquarium. Mostly soft corals but looking to move into LPS and SPS. Still deciding on a second power bar at the moment. but I guess when I really think about it there is not much I need to power on and off other than the Skimmer, ATO and Heaters. Lights have their own controller, as do my wave pumps however I would like to be able to program the wave pumps to a lower speed at night and during feeding.
Mike, did you end up getting your Profilux 4?

All the best,
Gary

John Donne is a historical figure with some famous quotes about mankind. His words are quoted in Hemingway’s For Whom the Bell Tolls.