Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2019, 11:01 PM   #601
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

See the buttons on the top of the home page? Click 'MY RC'. Then, in the left column, see the 'Pictures & Albums' and click it. Bottom left click 'Add Album'. Name the album and click 'submit'. Next click 'Upload Pictures'. You'll see you have 3 buttons, 'Choose File'. Click the first to find and upload your first pic.

Before you can upload pics you need to make them ready for RC. You'll need some kind of photo editing application to make your pics 72 dpi and between 600-1000 pixels wide, for best results. Wide shots like FTSs get 1000 wide. Vertical shots get 600 pixels wide. Once you have them like that, you're ready to upload them.

So really, you'll prepare your pics first, then start the upload process.

Once you've got some pics in your first album, you're ready to add them to your next post. For this stage, I like to open two windows side by side. On the left window I've got my album, on the right window I have a new post ready to start. When you're ready to place a pic into your post, go back to your album and click on the pic you want. It shows the pic large, and below it you'll see 'Picture URL' and 'BB Code'. Select all of the BB Code and copy it. Make sure you get the whole code. Go back to your right window and your post, and paste it. This places your pic right where your cursor is. But you won't see the pic until you post your post, you'll just see the long code you copied and pasted. So now is a good time to write a caption, while you can still see the pic in the other window. Then go back to your album and pic another pic, copy the BB Code and paste it into your post again.

I think they allow a max of 10 pics per post.

Hope this helps! I'm not sure I explained it well. Let me know if you have questions.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2019, 10:59 AM   #602
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
See the buttons on the top of the home page? Click 'MY RC'. Then, in the left column, see the 'Pictures & Albums' and click it. Bottom left click 'Add Album'. Name the album and click 'submit'. Next click 'Upload Pictures'. You'll see you have 3 buttons, 'Choose File'. Click the first to find and upload your first pic.

Before you can upload pics you need to make them ready for RC. You'll need some kind of photo editing application to make your pics 72 dpi and between 600-1000 pixels wide, for best results. Wide shots like FTSs get 1000 wide. Vertical shots get 600 pixels wide. Once you have them like that, you're ready to upload them.

So really, you'll prepare your pics first, then start the upload process.

Once you've got some pics in your first album, you're ready to add them to your next post. For this stage, I like to open two windows side by side. On the left window I've got my album, on the right window I have a new post ready to start. When you're ready to place a pic into your post, go back to your album and click on the pic you want. It shows the pic large, and below it you'll see 'Picture URL' and 'BB Code'. Select all of the BB Code and copy it. Make sure you get the whole code. Go back to your right window and your post, and paste it. This places your pic right where your cursor is. But you won't see the pic until you post your post, you'll just see the long code you copied and pasted. So now is a good time to write a caption, while you can still see the pic in the other window. Then go back to your album and pic another pic, copy the BB Code and paste it into your post again.

I think they allow a max of 10 pics per post.

Hope this helps! I'm not sure I explained it well. Let me know if you have questions.
Thank you very much Michael. I was reading RC's explanation too. I will give it a shot but that is a complicated process and all I have is an Android phone to do it through. If I can't figure it out I may just have to stick with posting links to my instagram acct. Its not the best solution but it is something.

BTW, my coral seem to be responding favorably to the gyre's new position. One plus is that the sand is not being trenched. The frogspawn is the only coral that appears to think that the flow is too aggressive. Perhaps I should move it. I will give it a bit longer to get used to the added flow.

I am reconciling with the gyre being vertical on the right side glass especially with my future plans when I connect to the basement sump. Directly behind the gyre is where someday I will put my DIY weir type overflow going into the sump. It will be a 2" diameter PVC pipe (painted black) so the gyre also being black will just blend in. Other than a return a the very surface of the water that will be the only equipment in the tank. Most of the viewing is from the livingroom which is left of the tank, so the right back corner is the most unobtrusive area to put equipment.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2019, 11:18 AM   #603
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

You're welcome! I'd be happy to help more, just let me know.

I thought you had a tablet. I imagine it would be tough to do from a phone. But if you can get your pics processed and sized, the uploading process is not too difficult. It looks complicated at first, but if you follow those steps, one at a time, you'll get there. Then it becomes pretty easy.

Do a practice run and see how it goes.

Unread 10/16/2019, 01:40 PM   #604
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
You're welcome! I'd be happy to help more, just let me know.

I thought you had a tablet. I imagine it would be tough to do from a phone. But if you can get your pics processed and sized, the uploading process is not too difficult. It looks complicated at first, but if you follow those steps, one at a time, you'll get there. Then it becomes pretty easy.

Do a practice run and see how it goes.
I did have an old 1st generation galaxy tablet until about a month ago. It was over 5 year old which is ancient in tablet years plus it saw a lot of use. I got my money's worth. The touch screen quit responding so now I am using my old samsung phone as a tablet. It kept dropping calls so it was no longer useful as a phone so I put the money in a new phone and use the old phone as a tablet, ha ha! I gotta cut corners somewhere to keep these fish tanks, LOL.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 10/16/2019, 06:37 PM   #605
vlangel
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/3Pr3AkZLLxI
The tank is dirty again already but I decided to video anyway. You will get an idea how it looks with the gyre in a vertical position.

Unread 10/17/2019, 06:46 AM   #606
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Nice video Dawn! Looks fantastic to me!!!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2019, 08:50 AM   #607
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

So much variety of life and colors! I also like how the gyre sits in the corner and out of the way. It's pretty impressive that you can keep such diversity in one tank. With all of the corals you have now, it must be challenging to keep everyone happy. But you do! No way I could do that.

Unread 10/17/2019, 09:13 AM   #608
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Nice video Dawn! Looks fantastic to me!!!
Thanks Kevin! I should have at least turned the sound down on the tv. I did not want to miss any of the Penguin hockey game so that truly was a quick and dirty video. Ooh, that sounds bad but you know what I mean.

Unread 10/17/2019, 09:23 AM   #609
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
So much variety of life and colors! I also like how the gyre sits in the corner and out of the way. It's pretty impressive that you can keep such diversity in one tank. With all of the corals you have now, it must be challenging to keep everyone happy. But you do! No way I could do that.
The variety and color is what I am going for Michael. Keeping so much diversity is not really as difficult as you might think. I am choosing coral that can thrive in high nutrient water so its really just a matter of feeding heavy. Having 12 fish in there helps too I am sure. Keeping a diversity of macro algae is trickier than the coral for sure. The reds in my tank definitely want to outcompete the greens. Fortunately the seahorse tank can grow anything so when a macro fades away I get fresh recruits from the SH system. I have lost some macros completely like my blue octode.

Unread 10/17/2019, 11:16 AM   #610
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's a good point about the corals you've chosen. Maybe it's not a hard as it seems. You're leading the way, with the reef/macro combo tank!

Unread 10/18/2019, 10:23 AM   #611
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
That's a good point about the corals you've chosen. Maybe it's not a hard as it seems. You're leading the way, with the reef/macro combo tank!
I don't know about leading the way but I am trying to learn all I can and am happy to pass on any successes and hopefully warn folks where I have failed. LOL

Unread 10/23/2019, 01:58 PM   #612
vlangel
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/WjC2mS12weo
I know I just posted a video but now the tank is much cleaner plus I included the seahorses and their tank too.

Unread 10/23/2019, 02:22 PM   #613
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I love your vids, even with hockey in the background. I'm a hockey fan too, LOL, but, you probably don't want to hear the team that I cheer on!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 10/23/2019, 04:59 PM   #614
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Nice. Your tanks look great!

That's funny, I noticed the same thing with my tank. I cleaned it up, took pics, and then noticed the water was much more clear the next day!

Unread 10/24/2019, 06:24 PM   #615
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I love your vids, even with hockey in the background. I'm a hockey fan too, LOL, but, you probably don't want to hear the team that I cheer on!
You are NOT a Capitals fan, are you?

Unread 10/25/2019, 04:14 AM   #616
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice. Your tanks look great!

That's funny, I noticed the same thing with my tank. I cleaned it up, took pics, and then noticed the water was much more clear the next day!
Ha ha, its amazing how that happens when you clean the glass!

Unread 10/25/2019, 07:11 AM   #617
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
You are NOT a Capitals fan, are you?
I most certainly am! Rockin' the Red!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 10/27/2019, 08:17 PM   #618
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I most certainly am! Rockin' the Red!
I will pray for you that you are healed!

Unread 10/31/2019, 10:00 AM   #619
vlangel
Registered Member

I was using a magnifying glass to appreciate all the really tiny life in both the high nutrient 56 gallon macro algae/coral and the 30 gallon seahorse tanks. I was pleased to see just how many copepods are in both tanks.

The fuge of the seahorse tank must have a good abundance of breeding copepods for there to be so many on the glass. They really do not have any predators in the seahorse system though.

The 56g macro/coral tank is more surprising to have so many copepods. With the gobies and small blennies I would expect the predatation to have greatly diminished a population in that tank. Not so, it actually appears to have more copepods than the seahorse tank. No doubt all the rock and sand help a lot. The rubble rock area is probably helpful too. Someday when I hook this tank up to the fuge, I'd like to get a mandarin goby. I have tried them several times without success and ended up rehoming them to tanks that were much larger. I love having fat fish and I want the same for any mandies I get. Other than that, not much to report.

Unread 10/31/2019, 11:07 AM   #620
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Cool. I love using the magnifier to see stuff I don't normally see. There's so much! Isn't it nice to have a bunch of pods? I think they are more important ecosystem members than they're given credit for. Everyone focuses on their food value, but they help keep the tank clean too. They were instrumental in my winning battle with dinoflagellates.

Unread 11/02/2019, 04:52 PM   #621
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool. I love using the magnifier to see stuff I don't normally see. There's so much! Isn't it nice to have a bunch of pods? I think they are more important ecosystem members than they're given credit for. Everyone focuses on their food value, but they help keep the tank clean too. They were instrumental in my winning battle with dinoflagellates.
I completely agree on copepods contributions to biological filtering. You can feed heavy without the worry of ammonia when you have a healthy amphipod and copepod population. They have little tunnels dug out in the rubble zone next to the front glass. It could not be more perfect for watching their antics. They also are prolific in some of the red titan that has grown right up against the front glass and again perfect for watching them do their thing.

Unread 11/05/2019, 09:03 AM   #622
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I love watching my tanks though a magnifying glass. Since I "broke down" the oyster reef, the tank is still going with inverts. With no fish in there, amphipods are coming out. I couldn't believe how many there are. I never saw them when the fish were there. I pretty much keep the tank in the dark now since the inverts seem to like that better. Plus, I wanted to reduce the dinos in the tank. I should put a blind over the tank and not let any sunlight in to see what happens. The sandbed is quite alive.

As far as keeping a mandarin for a long time, PaulB had plenty of pods in his tank, but he kept his mandarin and pipefish fat by supplementing the feeding with baby brine shrimp. He raised his own brine shrimp and developed a feeder. Search for Paul Baldassano on YT for his videos. Also, I've heard of people culturing their own pods too, and stocking them often in their fuges and tanks to keep the populations high for keeping mandarins and pipefish.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/07/2019, 01:02 AM   #623
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I love watching my tanks though a magnifying glass. Since I "broke down" the oyster reef, the tank is still going with inverts. With no fish in there, amphipods are coming out. I couldn't believe how many there are. I never saw them when the fish were there. I pretty much keep the tank in the dark now since the inverts seem to like that better. Plus, I wanted to reduce the dinos in the tank. I should put a blind over the tank and not let any sunlight in to see what happens. The sandbed is quite alive.

As far as keeping a mandarin for a long time, PaulB had plenty of pods in his tank, but he kept his mandarin and pipefish fat by supplementing the feeding with baby brine shrimp. He raised his own brine shrimp and developed a feeder. Search for Paul Baldassano on YT for his videos. Also, I've heard of people culturing their own pods too, and stocking them often in their fuges and tanks to keep the populations high for keeping mandarins and pipefish.
I did not know that you broke down the oyster reef. I really liked that tank. Was there a particular reason? Are you still going to do the bigger oyster reef or perhaps that is why you broke it down?

I have read Paul B's thread on clay-boa and I thought he has a pretty innovative idea with his bbs feeder. I have tried it in my tank but the pantyhose I used must have not been as tight a weave because the bbs came out of my DIY feeder too fast. I have bought a PJ reef's bbs feeder that I had planned to use for dwarf seahorses but haven't had the time to get into DSHs. I should just use the feeder in my 56 gallon tank. It uses magnetized cysts that keeps the shell casings in the feeder. I am not sure of the shelf life of those cysts so I should start using them. I am sure that the newly hatched bbs would be consumed by the smallest fish as well as the coral.

Unread 11/07/2019, 06:39 AM   #624
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Sounds like you have the bbs covered

Somehow, velvet showed up and killed off my fish one by one. I tried to save the last four fish and treat them in QT, but they were too far gone. I pulled the reef out of the tank to catch the fish, LOL. I just left the tank up and running as it is. There is a good amount of life in the tank, so I thought that I'd use whats left as a start to my bigger tank project. It's weird how it happened. I think that somehow, it was reintroduced into the tank with some macros and shrimp that I added, because I hadn't added any fish to the tank in almost two years. It was sad, because I raised those fish from 1" long to full adults. The last male blenny looked in great shape, and I took that for granted. When it stopped eating, I took a closer look and it was obvious that he was sick. That's when I moved them into QT. The other fish were worse, but kept hiding in the reef, so I never saw them until I broke down the tank. This was over the course of a couple days. It happened very fast. Velvet is no joke.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/07/2019, 09:10 AM   #625
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's what I read about Velvet - it happens fast.

Years ago I tried one of those in-tank hatcher-feeders, with no luck whatsoever. I ended up just tossing the eggs in my tank. I never saw a single brine shrimp. It's a great idea. I just didn't have any luck with it.

These days I buy pods by the thousand, and add them to my "Shallows" in-tank, coast-to-coast overflow refugium. There's lot's of plant material in there for them to shelter and eat, then they can wander out into the display when they want.