Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2018, 09:24 AM   #3151
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Lost one. Came home and it was somewhat lethargic. On closer look it had a 1” ish bruised looking area on one side. Couple hours later it was dead. That is why theses are difficult fish. A few hours before it was eating pellets.

The other two are still doing well.

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 13-gal w/ clowns
pinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 11:13 AM   #3152
heuerfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnatus View Post
Lost one. Came home and it was somewhat lethargic. On closer look it had a 1” ish bruised looking area on one side. Couple hours later it was dead. That is why theses are difficult fish. A few hours before it was eating pellets.

Sorry to hear that, did you fresh water dip before you placed in the tank? Are they in qt now? Sudden death could mean flukes or marine velvet possibly.

I had a trio and lost them to marine velvet two days after purchase.

Good luck.

heuerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 03:32 PM   #3153
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

They were dipped mutiple times before I brought them home and again when I saw his side yesterday. It wasn’t velvet or ich.

Unread 02/20/2018, 03:50 PM   #3154
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Sorry you lost one Did you take a pic of the wound? urnonema is getting more and more popular these days. Hope thats not what you are dealing with.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 04:01 PM   #3155
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Frankly it went from nothing to something to dead in the matter of a few hours. I have treated the tank for uronema before and it should not be there. No pictures of the area. I have to believe it was some sort of internal hemmorage or something.

Unread 03/17/2018, 12:30 PM   #3156
heuerfan
Registered Member

Could not resist, picked up another one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVletp_FXv0

Last edited by heuerfan; 04/11/2018 at 10:08 AM.
Unread 03/17/2018, 04:53 PM   #3157
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnatus View Post

Could it of been from fighting? Sounds to me like it was attacked and had an internal injury to have it die that quickly

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 01:05 PM   #3158
Georgephoenix
Registered Member

Hi all! I need some help with my MI, I've had him 6 weeks in quarantine feeding really well from day 1 on flake and NLS pellets. I was due to put him into the DT yesterday but he's stop feeding and his respiration rate has increased. All parameters on the tank are fine, nothing has changed. The tank has an internal filter and an air pump running. I've tried live black worms a range of flake/pellets and still no luck, he has started to loose weight as he's a small juvenile. Any help or advice would be great!

Georgephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 06:44 PM   #3159
Naraku
Registered Member

Similar issue happened to mine and they died over a couple months. They never eat consistently. I think they tend to not like pellets. They tended to prefer mysis. But pellets are healthier for them.

Try frozen mysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgephoenix View Post
Hi all! I need some help with my MI, I've had him 6 weeks in quarantine feeding really well from day 1 on flake and NLS pellets. I was due to put him into the DT yesterday but he's stop feeding and his respiration rate has increased. All parameters on the tank are fine, nothing has changed. The tank has an internal filter and an air pump running. I've tried live black worms a range of flake/pellets and still no luck, he has started to loose weight as he's a small juvenile. Any help or advice would be great!

Naraku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 08:31 AM   #3160
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Anyone have a puffer or trigger with their MI? I assume triggers make bad tankmates due to their curiosity and would nip at the MI caudal fin?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 09:31 AM   #3161
Jesterrace
Registered Member

The Blue Throat Trigger might work since they tend to be less aggressive and better tank mates than the majority of other Trigger fish.

Jesterrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 10:02 AM   #3162
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Quote:
Try purple nori. That is the only thing my two Idols are eating at all.

Unread 03/25/2018, 10:30 AM   #3163
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Quote:
any other symptoms? Have you treated for flukes or other medications?
Maybe do a large water change and see if it helps.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 09:59 AM   #3164
heuerfan
Registered Member

My 2nd moorish idol fresh out of hypo......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJP95wWETTQ

Here is big brother,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a6MrW7fKWo

Last edited by heuerfan; 04/11/2018 at 11:58 AM.
Unread 04/11/2018, 02:14 PM   #3165
Georgephoenix
Registered Member

Hi guys sorry for my late response! I decided to move him over into the DT as he had completed his quarantine time and treatments. Within a day his respiration had returned to normal and he started feeding again just fine... not sure what was wrong with the quarantine tank but my Moorish Idol is doing great now!

Unread 07/19/2018, 03:07 PM   #3166
Georgephoenix
Registered Member

Hi! I've had my Idol coming up to six months now he's doing really well! Lately however he's started to loose weight even though he appeared to be eating fine, but looking closer he has damaged his mouth and can't seem to catch the food (flake and pellet) - looks like he's been chasing the bubbles trying to eat them and in result of this his mouth banging into the plastic lid! I've put in some larger meatier food (Ocean nutrition angel formula) which he seems to be doing ok with. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Do you think his mouth will heal over time?

Unread 08/02/2018, 11:47 PM   #3167
AMD30
Registered Member

Hi, i am from phoenix as well and got a great MI eating mysis and enriched frozen brine shrimp from Kona Reef which has one in their display tank. where did you get yours from?

AMD30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2018, 08:18 PM   #3168
jjoos99
Registered Member

Sad day for my tank. I have had my idol for 3 years now and have noticed lately his body wasnt as fat and full as normal. Yesterday I noticed it's bottom fin had a fairly large section missing and during feeding time he ate but not with his normal gusto. Went to clean the tank today and found him stuck to the side of my vortec. Not sure if I will try another one if they will have such a short life in captivity.
Jeff

jjoos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2018, 09:27 PM   #3169
pfan151
Registered Member

Well I finally took the plunge after years of thinking about it. Saw one at my LFS that looked fat and was eating so I couldn’t resist. I bought it yesterday and placed it directly into hypo. It’s mostly eating off the rocks and food that makes it to the sand at this point. Not really eating out of the water column so far. I have found that it really likes masstick. I spread some on a clam shell and then pressed nls pellets into it and it immediately destroyed it. It had the whole shell clean within minutes. I figure this should be a good way to get a lot of nutrition into it. I’m going to add flake to the masstick when I feed tomorrow.

Unread 11/04/2018, 12:01 PM   #3170
pfan151
Registered Member

Here she is. Can’t wait to get her out of QT. Might already be my favorite fish. The streamer has somehow grown about an inch in the last two days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 11/05/2018, 09:07 AM   #3171
heuerfan
Registered Member

Looks great pfan151, best of luck with her! They are my favorite fish, i like to feed mine hikari seaweed extreme pellets as well!

Unread 02/02/2019, 07:50 PM   #3172
jjoos99
Registered Member

I am missing my MI that I had for 3 years and would like to order another. Would it be better to order medium or large size fish? I am thinking of going with 2 at first. I think it would help with them eating and keeping each more comfortable while in qt. Once out of qt and if they both make it I can sell one of them seeing as long term they dont seem to do good with more then one.
thanks
jeff

jjoos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2019, 01:28 AM   #3173
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoos99 View Post
I am missing my MI that I had for 3 years and would like to order another. Would it be better to order medium or large size fish? I am thinking of going with 2 at first. I think it would help with them eating and keeping each more comfortable while in qt. Once out of qt and if they both make it I can sell one of them seeing as long term they dont seem to do good with more then one.
thanks
jeff
I don’t really think there is any benefit to buying more than one as far as making them feel comfortable. I’d go with medium size.

Unread 02/08/2019, 03:57 PM   #3174
IUfan
Registered Member

Had my Moorish Idol for about 4 months now. He’s eaten like a champ since day 1.

To me his belly looks fat, but looks skinny up around his lateral line, otherwise he looks healthy to me. just curious to how the moorish idol experts thought he looked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2019, 04:39 PM   #3175
pfan151
Registered Member

Looks slightly thin to me. I’d try worming it with Fenbendazole. I inject PE mysis using a TB syringe and feed it every 3 days for 4 treatments. Seems to work well and I’ve never had any issues doing it in the display tank.

Are you feeding pellets?

Tags
wrong link on first video