Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2019, 02:14 PM   #1
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

My giagantae anemone split in treatment tank

Well first of all im Sps guru but a noob in anemone. Recently I bought a green giagantae anomone and put in my main display. After a three days it look deflated so I ask my reefing friend Tony and pm OrionN regarding treating it. So I follow the procedure and do 10g fresh saltwater with 250g Cipro in a 10g tank with small power head n heater. This morning to my surprise I have 2 anemone in the treatment tank �� so I start pm and text to all my friends and they all say giagantae don't split in captivity. Well picture say better than 1000 words.

Day 1

Day 2
imghost

Day 3

And here is a video https://youtu.be/JT-HpMgJ6fo

I'm going to keep doing the treatment and monitoring for the next 11 days to complete the process and hoping that I can keep both anemones survive.

Please give input cause I have no clue about anemone. This is my main display

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps

Last edited by ycnibrc; 10/14/2019 at 02:25 PM.
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2019, 04:11 PM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

It was bound to happen one day in an aquarium setting.

A while ago I found two research articles that indicate that at least some local populations of S. gigantea are capable of reproducing via fission:

Fine-scale population structure of two anemones (Stichodactyla gigantea and Heteractis magnifica) in Kimbe Bay, Papua New Guinea

"This study underlies the first genetic evidence of asexual reproduction of Stichodactyla gigantea and the interesting absence of the same in Heteractis magnifica, in Kimbe Bay, PNG."

Incorporating fine‐scale seascape composition in an assessment of habitat quality for the giant sea anemone Stichodactyla gigantea in a coral reef shore zone

"Habitat type, disappearance rate, and settlement of S. gigantea

At the end of the study, 43 anemones existed: nine had disappeared, six had been newly found, and one actinia had divided into three small individuals.
One individual (565 cm2) seemed to have moved about 3 m. All 13 anemones that had inhabited the patch reefs at the outset remained, whereas one of 12 anemones that inhabited the rock beds and eight of 19 anemones that inhabited the sandy bottoms including the sparse seagrass beds had disappeared by the end of the study..."

For those who can read Indonesian (or know how to use Google Translate) this book in PDF form might be interesting.

DINAMIKA SIMBION ALGA ZOOXANTHELLAE
ANEMON LAUT HASIL TEKNOLOGI REPRODUKSI ASEKSUAL

From what I could gather it describes among other things sexual reproduction of host anemones.
One chapter seems to describe the forced fission (fraging) of a S. gigantea.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2019, 04:16 PM   #3
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
It was bound to happen one day in an aquarium setting.

A while ago I found two research articles that indicate that at least some local populations of S. gigantea are capable of reproducing via fission:

Fine-scale population structure of two anemones (Stichodactyla gigantea and Heteractis magnifica) in Kimbe Bay, Papua New Guinea

"This study underlies the first genetic evidence of asexual reproduction of Stichodactyla gigantea and the interesting absence of the same in Heteractis magnifica, in Kimbe Bay, PNG."

Incorporating fine‐scale seascape composition in an assessment of habitat quality for the giant sea anemone Stichodactyla gigantea in a coral reef shore zone

"Habitat type, disappearance rate, and settlement of S. gigantea

At the end of the study, 43 anemones existed: nine had disappeared, six had been newly found, and one actinia had divided into three small individuals.
One individual (565 cm2) seemed to have moved about 3 m. All 13 anemones that had inhabited the patch reefs at the outset remained, whereas one of 12 anemones that inhabited the rock beds and eight of 19 anemones that inhabited the sandy bottoms including the sparse seagrass beds had disappeared by the end of the study..."

For those who can read Indonesian (or know how to use Google Translate) this book in PDF form might be interesting.

DINAMIKA SIMBION ALGA ZOOXANTHELLAE
ANEMON LAUT HASIL TEKNOLOGI REPRODUKSI ASEKSUAL

From what I could gather it describes among other things sexual reproduction of host anemones.
One chapter seems to describe the forced fission (fraging) of a S. gigantea.
Normally anemone split when they are stress but so many tell me that giagantae don't do that in Aquarium that's why I say I'm just lucky.

ABC corals

Unread 10/14/2019, 07:25 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycnibrc View Post
Normally anemone split when they are stress but so many tell me that giagantae don't do that in Aquarium that's why I say I'm just lucky.
Stress is just one of several triggers, and so far it has only been shown to be the cause with BTAs and Magnificas in captivity.
But you see clone colonies of large BTAs and magnificas in the wild where the driving force for splitting was more likely another factor than simple stress. And BTA clone colonies are relatively common and can be quite large. Giganteas on the other hand are in most cases found solitary or in small groups.

Though stress is most likely the cause for your gigantea's split.

The actual lucky part is that you got a gigantea that splits at all. Those seem to be quite rare since this seems to be the first documented case of a gigantea splitting in captivity.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2019, 05:27 PM   #5
mnchartier
Registered Member

I have been wondering how these are doing.

Current Tank Info: DD150
mnchartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2019, 05:36 PM   #6
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Latest video today anemone split completely but doesn't look healthy

https://youtu.be/dobmBnuSbmg

ABC corals