Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/08/2017, 08:18 AM   #1
Mghanayem
Registered Member

You bet your wrasse

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions, and am hoping to rely on someone's experience to help me out.

1. I recently put a Carpenters Flasher Wrasse in my tank, and he hid immediately, a few days later he was fine, and now gone again for days... I've never had this experience with this type of wrasse before. I know they bury, but I've never seen this behavior to this extent out of carpenters flasher wrasse.

2. I seem to have polyp bailout in 1 torch coral, every other torch is fine, and this one continues to grow but releases its arms, it seems like it's attached to the very edge of the stalk.

This is the tank if you're interested in seeing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlTzxN2S3tA&t=3s

Mghanayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 10:19 AM   #2
TangingOut
Registered Member

Flasher wrasses don't bury. If it's still alive, it'll be in the rockwork. Did you notice any aggression from any of the other fishes when it was out? I could see a couple potential aggressors in there, especially since you seem to be stocked on the heavier side.

TangingOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 11:46 AM   #3
Mghanayem
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangingOut View Post
Flasher wrasses don't bury. If it's still alive, it'll be in the rockwork. Did you notice any aggression from any of the other fishes when it was out? I could see a couple potential aggressors in there, especially since you seem to be stocked on the heavier side.

The only one who was a bit aggressive was the other wrasse, then the next day they were swimming together like schooling fish. No other fish was aggressive, in fact I added a firefish to spread the aggression the next day and it worked, within 24 hours while I could still see the wrasse there was no more aggression towards it at all.

Then I changed the water and did a bit of aquascaping, and sure enough, that was the last time I saw him. Maybe since Monday of this week,

Thank you so much for you response.

Also I did not have an ammonia spike, but with tank being so established, I guess I wont always notice one.

Unread 06/08/2017, 12:12 PM   #4
hogfanreefer
Registered Member

A new fish and wc/changing the aquascape is hopefully the issue. I try not to do too much to disturb the tank for a few days after a recent introduction.

This is a little worrisome though because fairy and flasher wrasses almost always calm down and relax a lot sooner than this. If it was a Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon I'd be less concerned.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 gallon, mixed reef, SPS and wrasse dominant
hogfanreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 12:50 PM   #5
blowmecius
Registered Member

I don't see a cover on your tank. Open top + wrasse = carpet jerky. I hope I am wrong.

Unread 06/08/2017, 02:12 PM   #6
Mghanayem
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowmecius View Post
I don't see a cover on your tank. Open top + wrasse = carpet jerky. I hope I am wrong.
The tank is sealed completely, it's a custom TruVu tank that has a custom opening in the top. I haven't had a fish get out yet... not even an eel.

That's why this is preplexing

Unread 06/08/2017, 02:14 PM   #7
Mghanayem
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfanreefer View Post
A new fish and wc/changing the aquascape is hopefully the issue. I try not to do too much to disturb the tank for a few days after a recent introduction.

This is a little worrisome though because fairy and flasher wrasses almost always calm down and relax a lot sooner than this. If it was a Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon I'd be less concerned.

My old leopard wrasses would hide for weeks, sixline even hid for a few days, checkerboard ones... I would think they were dead, and they would pop up... But never a flasher... I did not have an ammonia spike though I know that. And the first few days when he did come out he would have sand stuck on his dorsal fin... I'm keeping my fingers crossed... he's beautiful and certainly wasn't cheap.

Unread 07/19/2017, 11:55 AM   #8
jstephens24
Registered Member

very nice tank

Tags
hiding wrasse, polyp bailout, wrasse