Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2018, 09:23 PM   #1
B Lo
Registered Member

Unhappy Wrasse went nuts - looks hurt

Ladies and gentlemen:

I’ve got a roughly 110-gallon display tank with a roughly 40-gallon sump. Water parameters are nearly perfect. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, undetectable nitrate. No unwanted algae. I feed twice daily with frozen – mostly brine shrimp and a very small amount of Hikari Marine-S.

I’ve got one coral beauty (roughly 3.5 – 4”), one male pink margin fairy wrasse (roughly 5.5”), one percula clown (roughly 1.5 – 2”), one ocellaris clown (roughly 1.5 – 2”), and one female hooded fairy wrasse (roughly 1.5”). As for inverts, I have three pincushion urchins, two pencil urchins, and an arrow crab. I also have a RBTA in the tank.

My wife and I were out of town for a couple of days and came back earlier today. All fish acted normally while being fed.

Immediately after feeding the fish, though, the pink margin fairy wrasse (hereinafter “Rascal”) went totally haywire and came unhinged. I heard what sounded like a good sized fish breaching water. I went over to the tank and saw Rascal going berserk. He was darting back and forth and up and down, running into the crushed coral, slamming forcefully into one of the pencil urchins, and otherwise acting insane. It looked like he may have seen a reflection of himself and that may have set him off; I’m not certain.

Regardless, I turned the lights down (Evergrow IT5012) to calm him down and watched to make sure he didn’t impale himself on an urchin or into the anemone. He was moving so quickly that it was a bit tough to tell exactly where he was but for crushed coral being stirred up into the water column.

My concern is that he is now laying on the substrate, his color looks terrible and it looks like the portion of his body immediately in front of his right fin is injured. I tried to take a photo but the dwarf angel kept getting in the way. I’m going to post the best photo I could manage to take.

Should I leave him in the tank? What should I do apart from keeping the lights dimmed for the next 12 + hours?

Any fish psychology or veterinary advice would be appreciated. I’m at a loss as to exactly what happened or what to do at this point to mitigate any existing or potential problems.

Thanks in advance!

Truly,

B Lo

B Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2018, 07:32 AM   #2
Fish4udog
Registered Member

Is your coral beauty bullying your wrasse , had a flame and he chased my black leopard until it ended up jumping out of the tank. Once the flame angel passes never put another angel in and haven't had a problem with any of my wrasses since. Got this leopard a year ago.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Fish4udog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2018, 07:01 PM   #3
B Lo
Registered Member

If anything, the wrasse has been ruling the roost. The angel and the wrasse are actually somewhat buddy-buddy. I think the angel has been looking after the wrasse in his crazy state. The wrasse is a bit larger than the angel and I think the wrasse (and angel) knows it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish4udog View Post
Is your coral beauty bullying your wrasse , had a flame and he chased my black leopard until it ended up jumping out of the tank. Once the flame angel passes never put another angel in and haven't had a problem with any of my wrasses since. Got this leopard a year ago.
Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Unread 04/19/2018, 10:54 PM   #4
B Lo
Registered Member

Update: The wrasse appears to be doing alright. I think he lucked out as he was looking VERY rough for a couple of days. He seems to be on the mend!

Unread 04/20/2018, 08:57 AM   #5
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Glad to hear it, beautiful fish

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crazy, hurt, injury, psycho, wrasse