Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/12/2019, 08:09 PM   #1
fishguy306
Registered Member

10' tank advice

For years I've researched reef tanks and never pulled the trigger on one, despite loving them and getting deep into the freshwater side of the hobby. I have an opportunity to finally make a reef happen and I've decided to do so.

So that said, I'm eyeing a 120x30x24" tank. Bit big for my first but if I'm doing it might as well go all out.

My biggest question is what special considerations are needed for the long tanks? I assume flow is probably the biggest concern but until a few days ago I planned a 180 at most so I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything that isn't obvious when adding the extra length. Any thoughts or reasons why I should go shorter?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

fishguy306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2019, 10:39 AM   #2
DeepBlueZoas
Registered Member

More flow and more lights if that's not an issue for you go for it those dimensions sound perfect.

DeepBlueZoas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2019, 02:53 PM   #3
laverda
Registered Member

Lighting may be a bit of a challenge depending on what you want to use. Most light fixtures are 24, 36”, 48” or 72” unless you planning to use multiple smaller LEDs. You really do not need to light glass at the very ends of the tank, but having the lights a foot short on each end may not look the way you want. If you will have a canopy it is less of an issue.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2019, 04:15 PM   #4
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That sounds awesome! Is the 30 inch dimension height or width? I ask because my 30 inch high tank is hard to clean the glass at the bottom, and I'm 6'3" tall. 24 inch height is just right in my opinion. As mentioned above, it'll take more lights and more pumps, but since you've been researching this, you've probably already taken that into account.

You're in dream tank territory here! Jealous! Please post a build thread.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2019, 09:22 PM   #5
low riderr
Registered Member

following , doing the exact same thing .

low riderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2019, 11:02 PM   #6
Daddi0
Registered Member

will your floor handle 3,000 ish pounds

Unread 07/15/2019, 10:31 AM   #7
fishguy306
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverda View Post
Lighting may be a bit of a challenge depending on what you want to use. Most light fixtures are 24, 36”, 48” or 72” unless you planning to use multiple smaller LEDs. You really do not need to light glass at the very ends of the tank, but having the lights a foot short on each end may not look the way you want. If you will have a canopy it is less of an issue.
My current thought is five smaller units running front to back rather than the length of the tank. I'm not committed to that plan, but at the moment seems to be one of the better options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
That sounds awesome! Is the 30 inch dimension height or width? I ask because my 30 inch high tank is hard to clean the glass at the bottom, and I'm 6'3" tall. 24 inch height is just right in my opinion. As mentioned above, it'll take more lights and more pumps, but since you've been researching this, you've probably already taken that into account.

You're in dream tank territory here! Jealous! Please post a build thread.
I love the look of 30" tall tanks but you are right, for any sort of maintenance they are a huge pain in the butt. So going 30" front to back on it.

Flow seems like it may have some complications. Some people really think I should do a closed loop, others are 100% against them. Definitely something I need to look into a bit more before committing one way or the other.

And please don't be too jealous. While I'm likely going to pull the trigger on the tank this week I suspect it'll be 6+ months before it even sees water. Reefs and budgets don't go together but I'm still trying to tell myself they do lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
will your floor handle 3,000 ish pounds
Floor will be braced with the jack posts. Basement under the tank is unfinished so will not be an issue to support it properly.

fishguy306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2019, 09:28 PM   #8
lionfish300
Registered Member

Fishguy. I have a 8 feet and would love to have a 10. like above mention 24" high would be so much better for light and for maintenance or corals placement. Also I have 36" front to back and love it, it made rocks scape so much cooler

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2019, 07:43 PM   #9
Blue Tang Clan
Registered Member

Pay whatever small-ish amount it is to have a structural engineer look at your joists. Water, tank weight, stand weight, rock, etc. puts a lot of pressure in a very small footprint.

It's worth it.

Blue Tang Clan is offline   Reply With Quote